• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

PC based tuning

copracr

Hi, I've been wondering if there is a PC based program that I can use to modify my shift points to compensate for my oversize/overweight tires. I have seen various programs and interface cables for other brands so I figured Chevy was the king of modding and would have something.
I think a 400 dollar tuner would be cool but also way overkill for my otherwise stock avy. I'm just looking for something cheap to play with and get the shifting dialed in.
The truck is always in too high a gear and has to downshift every time I want to speed up 5 mph.

Any help or tips appreciated

2003 5.3l z71

THere are PC based programs.
SEARCH "HPTUNERS"

They cost more then tuners I believe

You are looking at more than $400 for what you are asking about - unless you get one second hand.

HPTuners and LS1Edit are the two main and possibly only products that will do what you want.  I use HPTuners to do what you describe plus a lot more.  It starts at $499.

You may want to find a custom tuner in your area or one that works through the mail/email.  Someone here has recently posted good results going through Blackbear tuning.  A tuner should be able to do what you are asking for less than $400.

To my limited knowledge the handheld tuners only adjust shift points at wide open throttle and it sounds like you are wanting more than that.  I totally understand as my shift tables (except for the tranny hot table) are certainly not the way GM had them.  (y)

Well that's surprising.  I figured all this would all be open source stuff that chevy nuts cracked. 

And yea,  it's the daily driving that I'm concerned with.  This truck never sees 5k+ rpm

I've got an HPTuners license for all 03 Avalanches.  If you are near south-central Indiana I could fix you up.  I can get a single VIN license from HPTuners for I think $50.

Alternatively have you tried running in Tow Haul Mode?

enoniam said:
I've got an HPTuners license for all 03 Avalanches.  If you are near south-central Indiana I could fix you up.  I can get a single VIN license from HPTuners for I think $50.

Alternatively have you tried running in Tow Haul Mode?
Thanks, that's a super generous offer. I took your advice and drove around in tow mode. It's better but it's the opposite problem. 1-2 winds way out to 3k and then slams, and it wants to cruise at 2500 instead of 1200.

Back