• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

AC not working??

avalanchenewbie

So yesterday, I was driving over the pile of snow at the end of my driveway, and heard a "thumping" sound as I went over the hump, but as soon as I switched over to Drive, the sound went away, and hasn't come back.

Tried to turn the AC on (the little snowflake icon), but all it would do is flash a couple times, then turn off.

I've convinced it's just because it's so cold out, but I checked under the hood thinking maybe the thumping sound I heard was the AC compressor belt, but a quick inspection indicated that it was still intact.  In fact, everything under the hood was 100% OK.

I just want to make sure I'm not going to make things worse by not doing anything now, and waiting until the weather warms up before looking into it further.

Any suggestions?  2005 WBH.

I have a 2013 and I believe the manual says the AC comes on automatically at 40 degrees.  I had an issue with the AC compressor making a "thunk" sound every 19 seconds and when I took it to the dealer they couldn't duplicate the sound outside as the temp was below 35 degrees and the AC could not engage.  It blinked just like yours did.  If you can park it inside a garage and get the temp over 40 degrees it will probably light up your snowflake just fine!

i am have the same problem checked the manual and read the bit about being to cold to run  but what is to cold yesterday it was - 21c but i was always told run the AC 5 to 10 minutes once a month over winter to keep the seals from drying out .

Wouldn't it engage even in sub freezing temps to de humidify?

I was always under the impression the AC was engaged via the defroster setting whether we wanted it to be or not.

Cat Dancer said:
Wouldn't it engage even in sub freezing temps to de humidify?

I was always under the impression the AC was engaged via the defroster setting whether we wanted it to be or not.

Yep only in defrost mode. If it's cold turning on the AC does nothing.

It comes on to get the moisture out of the air inside.

Well after i had her sat in my heated garage over night got the AC working and went for a run and with in 3-4 minutes it shut down due to the cold but it does work ok when i had it in a warm garage  (y)

Back