• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

AWD.

mikeyjm1

I'm usually not good at documenting my upgrades but I'll take a shot.

Since I've had the truck, the auto track has sucked. It randomly shifted to 4Lo on the road then wouldn't engage when I did need it. Then a couple years ago, the rear end gave up the ghost. When I rebuilt it, I switched from 3.73 to 4.11. Not trusting the case, I left it in 2hi and pulled the harness. My plan was to regear the front and swap to a manual case.

Well, my wife has a very nice lifted 95 Wrangler and a badass 01 Xterra trail rig so we don't need another big 4x4.
Add to that my recent suspension upgrades and I am really enjoying the newfound handling of my truck. Also anyone who has followed the Black Friday GTG thread knows I wanna go faster around Charlotte next year.
So after some research on other forums and some shopping, I finally pulled the trigger on something different.

My NP149 showed up...
image_zps4acd8ec4.jpg

image_zpsab7f915a.jpg

I also have the AWD front drive shaft and a Silverado SS front differential (which is 4.10 and AWD standard) on the way.

Uh oh....
Looks like I am going to have work a little harder on my truck since I am going to have a bit more competition going around Charlotte Motor Speedway again this year...lol

Yeah it should go round faster. What we need to do though is talk ms38w into bringing his beast out and watch him embarrass some of the faster car guys.

mikeyjm1 said:
Looks like November 28th this year.

Here's our thread for the last two: http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?topic=135918.50

OK.  So this is actually a day-after-Thanksgiving thing.  Pretty far out to commit at this point.  I would like to try though.  Maybe between now and then I can figure out why my truck still tops out at 100 MPH.  I have plenty of RPM left and the speed limiter should be turned off.  I forget, but I think I saw somewhere around 165 on my HP Tuner file...so I'm no where near that.  Any suggestions?  Maybe I need to contact Nelson and see if he can figure it out...it is his tune after all.  These PCM's do strange things.  My gear selection is turned off in the tune, but it still shows 2nd on the dash (and won't change with applying voltage to the trans cable pins), so it won't go into 4Low.  I wonder if something is either still not turned off on the PCM or if there's a secondary safety.  I know about the P/N safety switch for the trans...but I can't find it any where on my truck.  Unless it's tucked up and sitting on top of my trans or inside the dash somewhere...it's been removed all together.  I asked the liar that did the build and he can't remember what he did...imagine that.  Either way, tuning it out of the PCM should make all secondary safeties null and void I would think.

ms38w said:
OK.  So this is actually a day-after-Thanksgiving thing.  Pretty far out to commit at this point.  I would like to try though.  Maybe between now and then I can figure out why my truck still tops out at 100 MPH.  I have plenty of RPM left and the speed limiter should be turned off.  I forget, but I think I saw somewhere around 165 on my HP Tuner file...so I'm no where near that.  Any suggestions?  Maybe I need to contact Nelson and see if he can figure it out...it is his tune after all.  These PCM's do strange things.  My gear selection is turned off in the tune, but it still shows 2nd on the dash (and won't change with applying voltage to the trans cable pins), so it won't go into 4Low.  I wonder if something is either still not turned off on the PCM or if there's a secondary safety.  I know about the P/N safety switch for the trans...but I can't find it any where on my truck.  Unless it's tucked up and sitting on top of my trans or inside the dash somewhere...it's been removed all together.  I asked the liar that did the build and he can't remember what he did...imagine that.  Either way, tuning it out of the PCM should make all secondary safeties null and void I would think.

What's it doing at 100?  Just cutting out all at once?

About your P/N safety switch, isn't that just an automatic thing?

enoniam said:

Mine topped at 98. It would get to 98 and would not go higher even with the truck floored. not sure of the gear but about 2000 rpms and would not go higher

Installed a diablosport tuner and I hit 105 a couple days ago. I think I couldve gotten another 10 mph out of it too

LOL, when I removed the speed limiter from my truck about 10 years ago the first time I "tested" it I got pulled over for speeding.  Luckily the cop didn't catch me when it peaked over 100 mph.  He asked if I knew how fast I was going - I wasn't about to tell him over 100 so I said I didn't know.  He then informed me it was 90-something.  I've since seen 110 - that was many mods ago.  Don't want to go much over 120 until I get a different driveshaft as the first-gen 2-wheel drive AVs were known for shattering driveshafts around 130.  With how it was pulling at 110, even mostly stock other than having a Hypertech III installed, I felt it was good to about 130.  Now probably 140-150.

l would like to know how to remove said speed limiter....

I did notice when going around the track this year that it would top out at 100.

One of three ways to exceed the factory speed limiter..

1. Aftermarket programmer.

2. Custom tune like Nelson or BB or maybe a shop in you area.

3. Drive it off a really high cliff like the Grand Canyon (not recommend).

Just make sure your tires speed rated for it, are in good shape and that your driving a 6000 pound truck with the Ario dynamics of a shoe box.

The only cost is your life..

But should probably mention to make sure your brakes are in good shape also even though they will not stop one of these trucks traveling at a buck twenty... Of course I've never exceed the speed limit in my life, cough, cough..

Nah man the only cost is a brick and a steering lock. Lock the steering and put a brick on the gas pedal lol

Yeah okay I am sure you were always and still are a angelic child at hear  >:D

I saw 110 into turn 3 last Black Friday. With the new suspension pieces, it had more but I had the 6yo boy behind me yelling "faster daddy!" so I had to be the grown up.

The fastest I've had my 7000 lb missile up is 120 mph on GPS out on Hwy 5 late at night no one else around. With the torque of the 8.1L it was still pulling and wanted to keep going but I was already 20 mph past the speed rating on my tires.

enoniam said:

It just stops increasing speed.  No shutter.  No wobble (well...except that the steering is loose even at 30 MPH).  I have the Nelson tune and a slightly modified engine, tranny, drive shafts, rear axle, etc, so the stock speed limiter should have nothing to do with this.  I don't get it.  I forget what RPM I hit, but it was well below "self destruct".

The P/N switch is just for automatics...which all Av's are born.  I don't know what the yahoo that installed the trans did with/to it though...I can't find it, but he claims he didn't remove it.  When I got the truck back from his shop, the gear selector was in "N" if I remember correctly...it soon showed "2" on it's own and has been there ever since...hence the need for a push-button starter and no 4 Low.

09chevyavy said:
option three is cheap and guaranteed to work btw. Just havent tried it myself

Umm...$60k for a new truck isn't exactly "cheap"...

I've only hit 140 MPH in a car once...'91 Camaro RS, then the computer shut it down.  I have hit 140 numerous times on my '02 VTX 1800C  >:D  and she still had more to give, but I had run out of road...well, it was my exit ramp coming up anyway...I could have gone to the next town and undoubtedly hit 200 MPH as she was still pulling hard at 140 MPH.  Man I love my bike!

I managed to get mine up to 70 on the freeway yesterday before I engaged the cruise control.

I'm usually riding in the left lane at 65 with my left turn signal on.

The cool winter air had me feeling a little frisky.

(y)

ms38w said:
It just stops increasing speed.  No shutter.  No wobble (well...except that the steering is loose even at 30 MPH).  I have the Nelson tune and a slightly modified engine, tranny, drive shafts, rear axle, etc, so the stock speed limiter should have nothing to do with this.  I don't get it.  I forget what RPM I hit, but it was well below "self destruct".

The P/N switch is just for automatics...which all Av's are born.  I don't know what the yahoo that installed the trans did with/to it though...I can't find it, but he claims he didn't remove it.  When I got the truck back from his shop, the gear selector was in "N" if I remember correctly...it soon showed "2" on it's own and has been there ever since...hence the need for a push-button starter and no 4 Low.

Is it accelerating pretty good just before it stops increasing speed, or does it seem to be running out of steam?  If it's the computer it will be pulling hard to 100 and then when it hits it's limit I'm thinking for an 02 (with a cable TB) it will pull timing.  Drive-by-wire TBs will probably cut throttle - I know mine does when it hits the rpm limit.

As far as your P/N switch, I would look above the frame rail on the driver's side of the truck near the tranny.  I believe the wiring to it comes from a run along the frame rail.  I would guess that the guy who did yours wouldn't have bothered to resplice the connectors for it into the harness some where else and located it somewhere that the existing wiring could reach.

ms38w said:

Umm...$60k for a new truck isn't exactly "cheap"...

I've only hit 140 MPH in a car once...'91 Camaro RS, then the computer shut it down.  I have hit 140 numerous times on my '02 VTX 1800C  >:D  and she still had more to give, but I had run out of road...well, it was my exit ramp coming up anyway...I could have gone to the next town and undoubtedly hit 200 MPH as she was still pulling hard at 140 MPH.  Man I love my bike!

Yeah slightly hehehe  >:D

Back