• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Hitch rusted in there

Pakalatic

My hitch is rusted in there real good tried pulling it out with a chain and a tree tried wd40 just wondering if anyone else has any ideas on how to get it out

i would put the heat to the actual reciever trying not to get the hitch too hot so that it stays smaller... might also look in the holes where the pin goes in and see if there is anything built up between the 2 pieces.

I would also put something heavy in the middle of the cain in case it comes out quick so it drops to the ground instead of flying.

another thing that comes to mind is if this hitch was in there or not when you purchased it. My parents old silverado they bought the previous owner had welded the hitch in there "so no one would steal it"

If it's the OEM receiver unbolt it and install a new receiver.

The stock one was junk when new.

Wazbro said:
If it's the OEM receiver unbolt it and install a new receiver.

The stock one was junk when new.

X2

I was thinking the same thing.

If you are having to deal with that much rust, now would be a good time for an upgrade.

wyotonka said:
My parents old silverado they bought the previous owner had welded the hitch in there "so no one would steal it"

As much as that sucks to buy a truck like that, their reason to weld it on is pretty hilarious

If you dont have access to heat PB Blaster in liberal amounts and some repeated shocks from a hammer in several places will eventually free it up. Once free clean it all up and grease the hitch up to prevent it from happening in the future.

wyotonka said:
i would put the heat to the actual reciever trying not to get the hitch too hot so that it stays smaller...

heat shrinks, cold expands so wouldn't you heat the hitch

you have that backwards... metal expands when heated (like most things) due to the particles being further apart than when cold.

wyotonka said:
you have that backwards... metal expands when heated (like most things) due to the particles being further apart than when cold.

except for water  :D

water after boiling becomes a gas which expands  (y) liquid oxygen is actually oxygen that was cooled to -200 something degrees to be turned into a liquid for use in tanks (which build pressure since they arent kept that cold at all times. )

wyotonka said:
water after boiling becomes a gas which expands  (y) liquid oxygen is actually oxygen that was cooled to -200 something degrees to be turned into a liquid for use in tanks (which build pressure since they arent kept that cold at all times. )
yes, but,  water also expands as it freezes. Stick a plastic bottle of water outside in that wonderful weather you have and see what happens.

you heat shrink plastic, cold water helps twist off a metal lid from a glass jar but that may be more the properties of glass

I used a 5 lb hammer when my hitch was stuck in the receiver but it was only in there one winter. The hitch ball bolted in the bumper of the '94 S10 is permanently rusted on.

Duneit said:
I just love "hammer time" technology. High velocity, High impact metal parts remover......

wear safety glasses due to rust flakes or WD40 splatter when you use a BFH

Or if you dislike someone you could back into the side of their car just far enough to insert the ball into the side of their vehicle then go fast to pull it out.. Something will give... ;)

redheadedrod said:
Or if you dislike someone you could back into the side of their car just far enough to insert the ball into the side of their vehicle then go fast to pull it out.. Something will give... ;)

and repeat as necessary?  :laugh:

Back