• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

can i just replace my factory amp?

motopsyco

Ok heres my dilemma. My sound went dead all but some faint clicking noises from my speakers. Found out that my amp died on me. I've been reading too many threads now and nothing makes sense, also can't seem to find information that fits my problem directly. So heres some questions for you guys who know this stuff, a/v has never been my preffered dealings with when it come to vehicles.

First off I have the bose system w/6 disc changer HU, it is an 03 z71.
I do not use onstar, never have never will, don't care if it ever works or not.
I love using my steering wheel controls too.

Ok, question: Can I bypass my amp and still get sound to my speakers using the stock system (I know of the bypass, but not specific for this situation)?
-or-
Can I cut out my stock amp and splice in another while keeping my stock HU and speakers.

I know many are going to say to just replace everything at once, but I am rather dirt poor and coming up with money for non required items isn't very easy for me. Basically anything I can do to bypass the amp that doesnt cost anything would be preferred (even cutting and splicing if necessary)

Basically if at all possible I would like to keep everything stock for now, I would like to upgrade to a much nicer aftermarket HU in the future, but I would like to still listen to music now. I know the bose sytem isn't great, I thought it would be much better than it is, but it works fine for me since I'm not hugely into thumping bass or loud music, just decent enough sounding to go to and from work, or any vacation trips we may go on.

Any help here is greatly appreciated guys, and thanx in advance.

--Brian

Door chimes and such go through that amp into the front left speaker. I know there's more to it than that but would need someone else more versed in it to explain it all.  I do have a buddy that has a stock amp laying around for sale. I tested it in one of my avys and will say that it indeed does work. If you don't get any answers that suit your needs, shoot me a PM for more info on that amp.

Back