• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2002 Stock Head Unit Replacement

CharleyClark

Has anybody had success replacing their 2002 Avalanche's head unit? I don't want to put in a double din and start hacking away at my truck. Has anybody found a 1.5 din that was somewhat easy to install? Or even a single din stereo that fills the head unit space?

Any info would be great! Thanks guys.

Check with customer support at www.crutchfield.com they are very helpful and can get you the unit to fit your needs plus all the wiring adapters to keep functions like stock.

Thank you, and I have checked them out. I'd just like to see from other Avalanche owners and hear their success stories, and if there's any stereos they recommend. 02's seem like a nightmare for anything aftermarket in the interior

You don't need to hack up your dash it's actually a pretty easy mod just do a search, there are threads here that cover it all. You just need to go the the junk yard and get a radio bucket (it's what the radio mounts to) and Bezel from a 03-06 Chevy/GMC truck, doesn't have to be a AV. Theres a little trimming to do on both and lower the front of the ashtray and install a Dbl Din NAV. If you don't want to theres adapters for single din radios..

My son's 02 has a Pioneer AVIC-N1 that was installed by the previous owner.  Didn't require changing the bezel.

The N1 is a single Din that the screen comes out of. They don't make them any more, might be able to find a good used one. I think there was a problem with it opening into the shift lever sometimes in certain postions and the screen is kinda flimsy and vulnerable sticking out that's why I didn't get one.

The only trimming to the 03 bezel is about 3/4 to 1" above the power outlets and ashtray, a belt sander works best.

If you're adding an aftermarket radio to an 02, don't forget to do the stock amplifier bypass mod.
Any aftermarket radio that is rated to give you at least 45 watts per channel will sound better without the stock amplifier in the picture.
I can personally attest to the fact that my system sounded a lot better when I did that mod.

Yes you need to do the bypass, Metra PN 70-2021. Or 70-2002 and wire it up yourself, there are threads here to show you how.

Go to YouTube and search for "02 Double Din conversion" and you will find videos to show you what to do. Watch a few of them because they all have some good info and do it a little differently, some good and some bad, very bad.

Randy

Okay so I got a double din deck, now what do you guys suggest is the easier route and which one is the best aesthetically route. Should I get a new stereo frame and bezel from a junker and cut the ashtray and outlet doors? Or is it possible to cut the stock 02 stereo frame to make a double din fit? Or if that's possible I suppose I'll need a new bezel anyways because the temperature unit will have to be moved down...

You can cut up the 02 radio bucket and bezel, but to me I've seen it done and it useally looks bad. It cost more because you have to buy the bucket and bezel but in the end it's a lot easier and will look factory, only someone who knows or you tell will know it did not come that way originally.

You don't have to cut the ashtry the face is held on by two screws,  just make two extentions that drop it down about 1/2"-3/4" below the bezel. The 03-06 bezel comes down lower in the area above the power outlets and ashtray, so you have to trim this area of the bezel up about 3/4" - 1" and everything will clear and look factory. You trim it enough to get the ashtray to clear and the flip up door that covers the power outlets to open..

I will try to take a picture of mine and put it in here later..

Edit, here are the pics..  You shave off 1/2" -3/4" on the bezel between the red arrows, a belt sander works best. And make small extentions for the ashtray face to lower it about 1/2".

Attachments

• Dash 1.jpg
    Dash 1.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 203
  • Ashtray1.jpg
    Ashtray1.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 194
  • Ashtray2.jpg
    Ashtray2.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 197
No problem.. If you email me I will give you my phone number, when your ready to do it I can walk you though it if that would help..

Like I said look on YouTube for videos and you can get a good idea of everything that is involved..

Wow that looks really good. Thanks! I'm going to hunt for the bezel and bucket tomorrow, and I'll give you a shout after that. I watched all the videos but I might have a question or two when it comes time to do it. Thanks again.

I'm at the boneyard and pulling off the bezel and bucket off an 04 Silverado. Anyone know how to remove the 2 rivets off the back of the radio bucket?

A drill works best, but you can use vise grips or pliers to chew away at the rivet..

Yes, you can drill new holes or make bracket to connect the two. Depending on how deep your new head unit sits will determin where you will trim the back of that bucket. The head unit will sit on the flat shelve in the back of the bucket, the rest you will need to cut out with a hack saw or Dremel and then file to clean it up. Cut only a little at time and test fit. You will be test fitting everything many times so be patient.

The metal support bracket in the back may have to be bent or cut and pushed back for clearance depending on how deep your unit is. If you have to cut it make a small bracket to connect it back together for support.

Okay still just taking the old bucket out and pulling out these rivets. So far so good but I have a feeling I'm not going to be finished this before sunset haha

Now, the piece of the bucket above the shelf for the stereo that rivets in to the metal behind it, will not fit. Do I cut this piece off? And if I do, will the bucket be okay with just one screw fastening it at the back?

Charley please take a lot of pictures and then post the pictures with detailed instructions. I might do this sometime. I would like to have nav in the truck, Bluetooth for hands free, etc.

All wrapped up for the night. Suns down, back at it tomorrow morning. And yeah for sure. I've been taking lots of pictures as I go along and I'll post all those when I'm done. I've got the new 04 Silverado bucket in and temperature unit, all I have left is mount the new stereo and trim the bezel. It's pretty smooth but when you run into a tough part man you run into it hard. But overall not too bad, just a lot of tinkering.

Great job.. Sounds like you chippin away at it.. One screw in the back is fine, some cut out that support completely but would not recommend it. The bucket should line up on three sides, top and lower right but the lower left has to be reworked to fit.

Do you have the Metra Double din install kit that your head unit bolts up to...

Took the day off today to do some running around but gave the Chev a nice clean! So I got the bucket in perfectly with a bit of trimming here and there, and spaced the temperature unit out into the proper spot. All I have left is to pop on the new bezel and trim the bottom of it to get it to fit in. And the ash tray mod.

I got the head unit install kit from wal mart that should frame the new deck and slide into the 2004 Avalanche bucket, am I correct? Or will this one not work?

Yep... If you have a double din install kit it should bolt up to the head unit and have slots for the screws so you can adjust and center it in the opening. Drop the ashtray first and then you know how much to trim off the bottom of the bezel. It makes it a little tougher to open the ashtray but unless your a smoker you probably don't use it much..

Not as hard as you thought or just time consuming.. Make sure you post some pics...

Okay sorry for the delay, when you work restoring flooded homes in Vancouver in January there's not a whole lot of downtime...

SO the head unit is in! I will post all my pics when I get home this evening. It was frustrating at times but it looks fantastic, so happy. Big thanks to Randy for helping me out.

Now I have a question about the wiring;
1. I have an illumination wire coming from the unit, which is orange, and I have 2 oranges (illumination and dimmer) coming from my truck. I hooked up the illumination and left the dimmer disconnected, but it's way too bright without the dimmer. SO if I hook up the dimmer and leave the illumination our, will it still work?

2. I have yet to wire up the parking break wire, coming from the truck it should be the light green wire in the second smaller harness, correct? And how difficult is it to do a parking break bypass? Can I just ground the wire to the chassis or do I need to buy something to do that?

Back