• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Replacing All Speakers, Fronts Now Rear Later

echastain88

Hey all! New Avy owner here and one of the first orders of business is to replace the busted factory speakers.
I have an 02 Z71 with on star. I've already purchased my components for the fronts, the infinity Primus PR6500cs http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108P6500CS/Infinity-Primus-PR6500cs.html#details-tab and im trying to figure out 1) what to get for the rears to match them and 2) What head unit to eventually upgrade to, to power these.

Should i just get another pair of those to put in the rear doors?
Another thing to keep in mind, i may down the road, and in a sub in the back.
Also, would it be benificial to run some bigger speaker wire while i am doing all of this?

Thanks everyone!

Get Infinity Primus so the TImbre is the same if not similar.
I would go with 2 way.

If you get component the tweeter is prone to rear passenger damage.
Ask me how I know as my component tweeters have been knocked off more times then I care to count.

The only bad thing is that the 6500 components are the only Primus's that show to fit according to crutchfield.
I found these http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108P6502IS/Infinity-Primus-PR6502is.html?tp=95 but according to crutchfield they dont fit the 02 avalanche?
They are 6.5's and look to be the exact same dimensions as the 6500 components that i ordered, so why wouldnt they fit? Think i could get them to with some modifications or re drilling the mounting holes? Plus they are in stock at my local best buy so i could pick them up tonight.

Well im going to go ahead and get an aftermarket head unit tonight to install. Im pretty sure im going to go with the Pioneer 6600BT, as long as it is in stock at my local best buy. Crutchfield just lists me as needing the dash kit, wiring harness and antenna adapter. Anything else ill need to pick up? I already have all the necessary supplies at home, crimpers, butt connectors, tape, extra wire etc.

echastain88 said:
Hey all! New Avy owner here and one of the first orders of business is to replace the busted factory speakers.
I have an 02 Z71 with on star. I've already purchased my components for the fronts, the infinity Primus PR6500cs http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108P6500CS/Infinity-Primus-PR6500cs.html#details-tab and im trying to figure out 1) what to get for the rears to match them and 2) What head unit to eventually upgrade to, to power these.

Should i just get another pair of those to put in the rear doors?
Another thing to keep in mind, i may down the road, and in a sub in the back.
Also, would it be benificial to run some bigger speaker wire while i am doing all of this?

Thanks everyone!

Not sure who Bueller is but I think I can help.

The answers to all your questions is that it depends.

Personally I wouldn't power any component set (including the one you purchased) off of the factory or an aftermarket head unit alone.  Reason being is that set you linked is capable of handling 80 watts RMS each and 160 watts max.  You'll be lucky if an aftermarket HU can provide 30 watts RMS at 50x4 max.  You wouldn't get anywhere near what those speakers are capable and in my opinion they would be underpowered.  A 300w 2 channel at 4 ohms would be ideal.  Keep in mind your rear speakers don't do much of anything for the front stage which is where you sit.  They are merely "filler".  A properly powered component set imaged properly with a subwoofer is plenty for most people as far as volume and sound quality goes and door speakers aren't even really necessary.  

If you want to run a good component set the simple answer is you need an amplifier to power them.  If you're not willing to run amps than simple two way speakers are ideal.  Don't expect bass out of anything other than a subwoofer.  Components provide mid's and hi's only and are generally installed after subwoofers.  Components are very sensitive, they get super loud, and provide strong highs.  If you were to install that set and get decent power to them your ears will be missing a subwoofer instantly.  Once you know how your subwoofer setup is reacting you will have a better idea of where to go with components or if you even need them depnding on which route you choose.  

I'm powering a 100w RMS 200 max component set with a 400w 2 ch. in q-logic kick panels with 5.25's in the doors powered by the HU.  My 2 sealed tens (powered by 1000w) match this nicely I think.  My subs came before the components.

It's kinda tough to give you an answer not knowing your goals and budget, but ultimately you want your amp ratings to match speaker handling ratings, if not you may be disappointed with their performance and underpowering a speaker is worse than slightly overpowering it.

Let's say you really want to run that component set you got and build further later on.

-You could run what you purchased off of a 2 channel installing them in the factory location with a dedicated monblock amp for a sub later on.

-You could run that set off of a 4 channel, use the other two channels to power a rear set or bridge to a sub later on.

-Could even do a 5 channel using two channels for what you got leaving options to expand rear door speakers AND a sub later on.

The HU you select will depend on what you want to send a signal to, how it looks, and it's features, not it's power.  They all pretty much emit the same power across the board which is 50x4 max.  Don't rely on a head unit to power much more than some cheap door speakers, and there's never a better time to run RCA's and amp signal than when you're installing a new HU and/or doing sound deadening.  There's no point in spending extra on a HU with front, rear, and sub RCA's if you never intend to use them.

A moderately powered sub (especially ported) will drown out little H/U powered door speakers quickly.  Really, to do it right the first time you need to plan around your ultimate end goal, budget more than initially thought, and match the power requirements of everything including the truck to get where you want.  Tearing apart the truck multiple times sucks.  

I've been working on my stereo bit by bit for several years.  I spent months researching installs, selecting components, mapping out wiring, shopping for deals and comparing.  I then began completing things in stages, running wires and cables for equipment I didn't have at the time, adding as funds allowed, growing the system, and finally going back in to fix things I should have done the first time.  My next task is to install my HO alternator and swap out my 4AWG power wire for 1/0.  Car stereo can get out hand quickly, and before you know it the vehicle charge system can't keep up with your demands.

The gauge of wire needed is dependent on the current desired and length of your runs.

echastain88 said:
The only bad thing is that the 6500 components are the only Primus's that show to fit according to crutchfield.
I found these http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108P6502IS/Infinity-Primus-PR6502is.html?tp=95 but according to crutchfield they dont fit the 02 avalanche?
They are 6.5's and look to be the exact same dimensions as the 6500 components that i ordered, so why wouldnt they fit? Think i could get them to with some modifications or re drilling the mounting holes? Plus they are in stock at my local best buy so i could pick them up tonight.

Also, don't rely on crutchfield to tell you what will fit.  IMHO they are arguably the worst place to buy anything stereo related as they are way overpriced.  

Any 6.5 or smaller speaker will fit in the door, you just have to make baffles like the factory speakers use.  Use the factory speaker baffle to make a template, use a jigsaw to cut it out of 1/2 or 3/4 MDF, seal it up with bedliner spray, bolt it to your door, and install the speaker(s) YOU want.  Like this...

Attachments

• baffles.jpg
    baffles.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 192
Thank you for your lengthy and informative reply, Joblo. So many things there i never even took into consideration, not to mention the fact that im in the woods when it comes to car audio  ??? lol
I ended up purchasing this pioneer deck http://www.crutchfield.com/S-5Yu3IvEcdR6/p_130X6600BT/Pioneer-DEH-X6600BT.html
Like you said, they all had about the same stats but i liked this ones features and it had 2 sets of RCA outs.

So for now im doing the fronts, rears, head unit and the stock amp bypass.

I guess im not sure what would be the next step. 5 channel amp and a sub i suppose. ?

Also im not looking for any crazy set up or to really rumble any windows. Just quality sound. I dont listen to a lot of R&b/rap, mostly rock/alternative and some country.

echastain88 said:
Also im not looking for any crazy set up or to really rumble any windows. Just quality sound. I dont listen to a lot of R&b/rap, mostly rock/alternative and some country.

Subwoofers aren't just for R&B/rap, but certain size subwoofers and box arrangement are generally regarded as better for that type of music.  

My two sealed 10's suit what I listen to just fine which is mostly rock/metal.  A remote bass knob allows me to dial in the right amount depending on what I'm listening to, and it's rarely past 1/2-2/3 of max.  Having a little more on tap is always better than not having enough and that gives you what is called "headroom" which is being able to listen at the volumes you want, with more volume to go before distortion is audible.

Not looking for a "crazy" system and just a good upgrade?  I would do this...

-Run those components you got in the front factory door locations.
-I would use a 600w 4ch.
-And a single sealed 10" in an under the seat box from car audio factory with a sub meeting the dimensional requirements.  Could do a standard 8" or a shallow 10".  Sundown shallows are designed for a bit more excursion than most other shallows.

Providing a decent amplifier (I would do a Rockford Fosgate T600-4) you could power your components at 100w each at 4 ohms with the front channel and you could bridge the rear to power a single subwoofer at about 280w.  You would be looking at about 500 watts total that would draw only about 35 amperes max from your alternator.  A simple 4AWG amp install kit with dual RCA's would be plenty to power and ground, run 12 AWG speaker wire for sub, and 16 AWG for the fronts. Do not buy cheap wire or cables, pure silver tinned copper is the only way to go here. The setup could be easily concealed neatly under the rear seats and you could have some two ways in the rear doors powered by the HU for passengers to jam to.  

Nothing crazy, plenty loud for most, and if you install yourself and shopped around you could probably do all for under or around 1k with the amp being the most expensive.  Things get a bit more tricky with the Avalanche once you want two medium sized subs or more, but one nice thing about car audio is you will always have it and install it into future vehicles. :cool:  

I would also do as much sound deadening as possible at least in the front doors (being it will be the front stage) closing all the interior cavities with butyl tiles and closed cell foam (Raam Audio) to give the drivers more of a sealed environment to enhance the midbass.

I prefer Rockford Power amps because that's what I have experience with, I know they're underrated with their numbers, look very nice, are compact, built solid, and they flat out pound!

Thank you once again for all the info.
Now that i have an idea of what i want/need as far as amp/sub what should i do for the box? Im no carpenter so buying one is the way to go for me.
I was looking at this one for a single 10: http://caraudiofactory.com/022013-chevy-avalanche-cadillac-ext110-p-29.html

or what about this one for dual 10's?: http://caraudiofactory.com/022013-avalanchecadillac-extpoly-dual-fire-p-274.html
and if i went with dual 10's how would that change up my amp/sub selection?

Thank you again for all the help!

echastain88 said:
Thank you once again for all the info.
Now that i have an idea of what i want/need as far as amp/sub what should i do for the box? Im no carpenter so buying one is the way to go for me.
I was looking at this one for a single 10: http://caraudiofactory.com/022013-chevy-avalanche-cadillac-ext110-p-29.html

or what about this one for dual 10's?: http://caraudiofactory.com/022013-avalanchecadillac-extpoly-dual-fire-p-274.html
and if i went with dual 10's how would that change up my amp/sub selection?

Thank you again for all the help!

I have a caraudio factory midgate box, it's nice stuff for sure.  Dual speakers will require more power than one of the same size is the only real difference.  Make sure whatever sub you select is in spec with the hole diameter, depth, and cubic footage you box allows.  A subwoofer will only perform as well as the enclosure will allow it.

2 10's will have close to the same cone area of a single 12" but still slightly less.  More cone area always means more space lost to an enclosure, more power, more money too.

Got the speakers and head unit installed this weekend. It wasnt that bad honestly. Had to use the dremmel a little, but nothing to crazy, even got the aftermarket tweeters to mount into the factory tweeter mounts. The hardest part of the whole thing was getting the stinkin door panels back on. Good god it was a pain trying to get the locks to work properly  :E:
This weekend ill be doing the rear door speakers, hopefully that will be easy.

Not trying to hijack a thread here but, I am also needing to replace rattling speakers. Do I order 2 way or 3 way to replace the 6.5 inch ones in all four doors?

Back