• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

new to the forum and need help installing new HU!

2006chevboy

Hello everyone :wave:, Im 18 and just bought me a 2006 avalanche :D and love it already! panning on installing aftermarket kenwood hu, JL 13.5 woofer and 1500 watt rockford fosgate amp.

but I need help installing the new hu as the factory one is just not up to my standards lol, i have non bose stereo but have onstar and steering wheel controls. the harnesses online look expensive for this truck if you have all the features so i'm wondering if i can just get a harness for non onstar model and non steering wheel controls because i don't need any of that stuff! also i was reading that my model has a built in factory amp that needs to go, is that true or is that only for bose systems? any help appreciated, thanks!

Thank you wyotonka! there prices are way cheaper than the other website i was looking at! now a few quick questions, it doesn't say it hooks up to the steering wheel controls so you would just leave the wires unhooked in the dash correct? also do i still have to bypass the factory amp after i hook in this harness? you help is greatly appreciated  (y)

not sure on the factory amp since mine is an 03 so i dont have it

the harness for the door chimes is going to have wires going to a block

there is a separate harness for the steering wheel controls... if you go on the website and type in what you are installing it will pull up what you need to do the job  (y)

ok i got an update, i pulled the hu out of the dash and there are 2 plugs on the back 1 (big 24 pin connector) and another one with 2 wires going into it (pink/black and orange/black) after researching and looking at wiring diagrams i see that it's for the hands free calling via onstar. now i wont need that stuff so can i just leave the second plug disconnected in the dash? ive found this harness that i can go get at a local shop the just connects to the 24 pin factory harness and has module for retaining chime noise this should be all i need correct? http://www.pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=1202

also still not sure as to whether or not i have that factory amp in the dash?

mine does not have onstar so i cant help there.... hopefully someone who has swapped with onstar knows... if you dont have the steering wheel controls the chime retention should be all you need

Back