• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2002 Avalanche 2 Din Conversion Video

wcmary

Hey guys,
The folks at Rollin Thunder here in Richmond, VA modified my 2002 Avalanche to accept a 2 Din radio.  They also installed Bluetooth, new speakers all around, and a Backup Camera.  I've seen a few vids on this on YouTube, but they always left out important details that could get you in trouble.  So, I filmed the entire process and posted the feature-length video of it on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1ZaBj2U9Mk 

Without a doubt, it is the most in-depth video you will ever see for free on this topic.  Feel free to comment on it as I'm always looking to improve my videos.

Thanks much,
JJ

Great video..

As for the install don't take this wrong, but I would expect a lot better job from a professional shop and installers that do this for a living. While overall they got the job done it could have been allot cleaner install. I understand they need to do it as quick as possible to keep the cost down, but some of their work was pretty shoddy. It gives you an idea of what you need to do but I would not be proud of it. I made a few comments for those who want to try this.

1. Hacking up the Radio bucket was amateurish, and should have been removed to do it properly. Using a 03-06 Radio bucket would have been allot cleaner and would have centered the head unit properly without remounting it 4 plus times and making Swiss cheese out of the dash. Yes you will have to use a 03-06 bezel but you only have to trim a little on the bottom and not around the head unit.

2. The head unit was poorly mounted and it will move around over bumps.

3. All the metal shavings dropping down into the dash.

4. The reverse wire is easier to get to down at the trailer controller wire next to the emergency brake. I don't know why they went up above the mirror for that connection.

5. By not using the 03-06 Radio bucket put the Head unit higher in the opening so they had to cut out the support in the back. Yes you have to relocate the heater controls 1/2" lower but allot easier and cleaner in my opinion.

6. I hope they put a rubber grommet where they drilled through the floor for the camera wires. It should have been painted also to prevent rust.

7. To have a better view with the camera, it should be mounted up in the bezel around the tailgate handle. It's more work but you can see allot better. There are threads in here to help you do this later if you want.

8. I'm not sure how they were still using the factory amp, but if it works. I have a Pioneer NAV unit and it has 50 watts  x 4  that can run the speakers. I used it to power the stock speakers but had to do the amp bypass to make it work. I ran it that way unit I installed separate amps and aftermarket speakers.

9. The wiring looked to be a mess and shoved back into the dash. Hopefully they cleaned it up off camera.

Anyway not trying to put their work down, just my opinion.. This is why I try to do my own work and not leave it up to someone trying to get it done as fast as possible, if you run into a problem your not on the clock to fix it and can do allot better job.

Randy

Edit:

Go to YouTube and search for "02 Double Din conversion" and you will find videos to show you what to do. Watch a few of them because they all have some good info and do it a little differently, some good and some bad, very bad.

Back