• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Amplifier mounting

Linescreamer

How do you guys mount you amps?  Plywood, MDF....glued to the floor with liquid nails?  Does everyone pull up the carpet?  Bolted trough the carpet through the floor?  Does anyone not secure the amp or sub and just let them sit on the floor wedged in place so they can remove them when putting the midgate down?

Here's how I mounted mine... No holes, no glue, no bolts or screws through the floor. I went with the smaller more efficient FD Class amps that are smaller, bridged they are 200 Watts a channel with clean power. These drive 4 Pioneer component speakers for the mids and highs and then a separate 8 "self powered sub for the lows.. Blows aways the stock system and sounds great. Works for me, I don't need the thump some do...

They sit on an aluminum plate that is held with two of the seat bolts that stick up and slots in the seat frame. If I need to pull it out to get to the fuel pump access door underneath, it only takes a few minutes to remove it.

Randy

Attachments

• Amps 1.jpg
    Amps 1.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 134
  • Amps2.jpg
    Amps2.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 133
  • Amps3.jpg
    Amps3.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 133
More pics..

Attachments

• Amps4.jpg
    Amps4.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 131
  • Amps5.jpg
    Amps5.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 133
  • Amps6.jpg
    Amps6.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 133
I saw your other post.  They look good.  My seat back rests on the amp I got which is just laying on the floor.  If I raised it at all, it probably would prevent my midgate from laying flat. 

There is a fuel pump access door under the passenger side rear seat???  I'm glad I posted this!

The seat come close to the amps when folded down. If I need to open the midgate I don't crank up the volume so the amps don't get warm, but my midgate and full length of the bed are usable.

As far as the fuel access door, AV's don't come with them. I put one on mine, that's why I made this aluminum mounting plate, all I have to do is remove the two nuts at the corners and I can lift up and turn the whole thing to the side and I have access to the fuel pump.

If you search the forums you will find many threads on cutting a access hole above the fuel pump to expedite a change out. The other option is to drop the tank which is at least a half a day job if you have help or take it to the dealer or other shop at a cost of $700 - $1000 or more. Once you have the access hole you can change it out in about 30 minutes.

Randy

I built a rack out of 3/4 MDF with a ledge to attach my junction and fuse blocks.  I think I was in it for 50 bucks including buying a jigsaw.  It came out really clean, carpeted it myself with Auto Carpet and adhesive.  Don't ask me for plans.  It just sits there and hasn't moved and I can remove it all quickly if needed.  Plenty of room under the seats for clearance and venting.  There is more space under there for a decent sized amp(s) than you might think.

Attachments

• 40267366133.jpg
    40267366133.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 117
  • 40267366134.jpg
    40267366134.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 117
  • 40267366135.jpg
    40267366135.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 117
Anyone else?  I'm thinking of just letting the amps sit on the carpet.  They don't move at all, so why bother mounting them?

mine right now is on the passenger side under the rear seat (single) just bolted to the floor with nothing under it... has been like that for 3 years no problems  (y)

Mine sits in the middle of the back seats. I haven't had any problems but I keep it tucked away, I'll eventually have to mount it when I put in my second amp for my component speakers, I have them just it's to damn cold to install them lol. How did you run your multiple amps a y splitter or separate wires?

I bought a JL amp which had preouts.  It is the JX360/4, it handles the 4 doors and pillar tweeters ran off crossovers which I mounted in the doors. Hooked my Sub RCAs into the JL amp preouts and didn't need to run another set of RCAs from the console.

Here's mine.

ampsandcpu2.jpg

First Amp is a 600 by 1 channel amp which powers my sub-woofers that are 10 ' Pioneer shallow mount models under the seat.
Second Amp is 150 by 4 channels  amp that run my focal VR6 component speakers in all four doors.
3rd amp look-alike is actually a custom case for my car PC which feed tunes , music videos and everything else I need in the truck.

If my fiancee only knew the total cost of my audio system alone, let alone the actual cost of all my mods, I'd probably not be in a relationship.

:laugh:

Linescreamer said:
Anyone else?  I'm thinking of just letting the amps sit on the carpet.  They don't move at all, so why bother mounting them?

Simple, because you're screwing around with electricity.  Giant cables off of your battery and alternator which DO flow electricity are now running into the cab of your truck.

That guy with the bird nest of wires with them mounted on the back seat, yeah I'd be worried about pinching a 4 AWG in the hinges and shorting everything out, possibly starting a fire.  All that money invested and can't pop for a ziptie?  Amps cool better when they're not mounted vertically anyway.  

Say you have an accident in the truck and your loose amp flies off of that live cable?  Now you have a live cable flopping around in your truck.  Maybe you'll fry yourself and anyone that may be in the back seat.

Also, less wire and cable is always better.  The current has less distance to travel making for more effective runs.

My equipment is expensive and part of having a good setup in my opinion is going a bit further to make it safe and secure while looking good.  Why even ask the question in the first place asking people to spend time giving you their knowledge and experience just to say you're going to do whatever?

It sounds like you're looking for confirmation of what you're planning to do instead of information on doing it the "right" way.  It's your world man, do whatever.  In my opinion anyone who just leaves a heavy amplifier loose in their vehicle flopping around with a fat cable feeding it electricity is a moron.

If you must do this, atleast make sure you have it all fused properly.  Look, not trying to be a douche, but you asked, and I'm happy to help.

joblo1978 said:
That guy with the bird nest of wires with them mounted on the back seat, yeah I'd be worried about pinching a 4 AWG in the hinges and shorting everything out, possibly starting a fire.  All that money invested and can't pop for a ziptie?  Amps cool better when they're not mounted vertically anyway.  

Making assumptions of without knowing all the facts is the first mistake people who feel they know it all make.

If you've followed up on my install you'll know that with all the equipment in my truck wiring is the first and foremost concern. I take it personal that you will comment on my work without knowing that that pic was taken during the actual install when I was documenting my work and not after it was completed.

Also there is a method to my madness. Those amps were chosen specifically because of their ability to create the power I need without generating a lot of  heat. We are in the age of digital amps with good quality components. I could run them all day without them ever getting warm to the touch. Secondly you would go for a zip tie but I chose to use black heat shrink tubing instead. Look at the power cables and you would see them strategically placed to allow the wires to flex away from said seat hinges when folding and unfolding the seats. Lastly the placement has to do with the fact hat there are 2 10" subwoofers that were mentioned in the earlier post under the seat. I'd also like to add that the amp is mounted directly to the seat and if you're ever in an accident where the amp somehow moves from behind the seat and flies around as you suggest you would have a lot more to be worried about. The Avalanche rear seat is built so that it will not fold down without lifting the bottom section. In my opinion, the accident that will make the bottom lift up and the rear fold down for the amps to fly about would have done a lot more damage way before then and the amps would be the very least of your worries

I appreciate constructive criticisms and we are all here to help each other but please get your facts straight before doing that.

All i have to say is there is a difference between not being a douche and just saying you arent being one... and ill just leave it at that  :wave:

Joblo1078.  Hey!  Thanks for your answer.  You have some good points there.  Some people like me aren't so smart plus, I haven't done the high powered cable in the truck thing, so it's good to hear.  I wasn't looking for confirmation on what I was going to do, just mulling it over in my head while sitting at work.  I am aware of the risk just haven't thought about it.  Your answer maybe a bit condescending but, you ain't gonna hurt my feelings.  Thanks for your perspective...I appreciate it! 

Now you got me thinking of safety issues....

I was thinking about those little spaces where my 4 and 8 gauge goes into the power blocks.  Maybe I should seal them up with tape or silicone?  Who knows if my kid shoves coat hanger or soda can under the seat at some point.  How about the connections on the back of the amps?  I'm I starting to over think this safety issue now?  :beating: Do you guys wrap your power cables in the truck or just reply on the insulation?

Saying I wasn't trying to be a douche preemptively defeats your perception that I was.  The OP wanted tech, sorry for my lack of political correctness.  I never said I was a politician.  Just own it man.

And pardon me if I think that install looks like a bird nest.  Had I paid for that I wouldn't be particularly satisfied, but it's your truck.  It's only my opinion and you don't have to like it as I don't expect you to like what I have done.  If you don't, well then I take it with a grain of salt.  You should do the same or please point out a mistake with my install.

When you post in public don't be surprised when certain people don't embrace your tech disinformation.  I don't know everything, but I'm sure my knowledge will run circles around you.

Linescreamer said:
Joblo1078.  Hey!  Thanks for your answer.  You have some good points there.  Some people like me aren't so smart plus, I haven't done the high powered cable in the truck thing, so it's good to hear.  I wasn't looking for confirmation on what I was going to do, just mulling it over in my head while sitting at work.  I am aware of the risk just haven't thought about it.  Your answer maybe a bit condescending but, you ain't gonna hurt my feelings.  Thanks for your perspective...I appreciate it! 

Now you got me thinking of safety issues....

I was thinking about those little spaces where my 4 and 8 gauge goes into the power blocks.  Maybe I should seal them up with tape or silicone?  Who knows if my kid shoves coat hanger or soda can under the seat at some point.  How about the connections on the back of the amps?  I'm I starting to over think this safety issue now?  :beating: Do you guys wrap your power cables in the truck or just reply on the insulation?

Generally removing 3/8 of sheathing on the ends will allow you to terminate them safely into the inputs and outputs.

thats like saying "i am taking this" before you take something makes it not stealing ... as far as the install he pointed out that that was during the install process and the finnished product is heatshrinked the op only asked for mounting locations at the time ... i guess ill just keep my mouth shut at this point to keep from getting booted but i have issues with people who think they know everything about something judged off of a single picture

wyotonka said:
thats like saying "i am taking this" before you take something makes it not stealing ... as far as the install he pointed out that that was during the install process and the finnished product is heatshrinked the op only asked for mounting locations at the time ... i guess ill just keep my mouth shut at this point to keep from getting booted but i have issues with people who think they know everything about something judged off of a single picture

Your analogy is ridiculous and I don't need your approval.

And shame on me for looking at a photo and coming to a conclusion.  I'm not sure why someone would post a half install picture when someone is asking about installs and not clarify then.  Seems like the OP would want finished product photos wouldn't he?  Is that crazy?

What are you guys best friends or something?  

no its another persons install (not best friends and never met the guy but a person doesnt have to be friends with someone to do the right thing) and you jumped to conclusions... the op asked for mounting locations and you made an uneducated assumption that was degrading and disrespectful and didnt feel you were in the position to be an ass about it...

wyotonka said:
no its another persons install (not best friends and never met the guy but a person doesnt have to be friends with someone to do the right thing) and you jumped to conclusions... the op asked for mounting locations and you made an uneducated assumption that was degrading and disrespectful and didnt feel you were in the position to be an ass about it...

No, the clearly inexperienced OP asked for mountings solutions, and your buddy proudly posted a representation of what I (and I would assume many others) perceive to be inadequate.  I responded by explaining potential problems and legitimate concerns.  Your buddy stated he made an error in posting the wrong photo and you felt the need to come to the rescue.

I think I answered the OP's question, it just happens to contradict what you and your buddy think the right answer is.  But I've only built an internationally featured street/strip car, so what would I know?

Linescreamer said:
How do you guys mount you amps?  Plywood, MDF....glued to the floor with liquid nails?  Does everyone pull up the carpet?  Bolted trough the carpet through the floor?  Does anyone not secure the amp or sub and just let them sit on the floor wedged in place so they can remove them when putting the midgate down?
i think that just asks about mounting but maybe i cant read.... i just know if you have a problem with the way someone did something theres a nicer way to say something... i would have replied the same on anyones behalf ... just because you have "built" a car that was internationally featured doesnt make you any better of a person to look down on someone else the way that you did and i didnt say that your suggestions were wrong i just said that the attitude towards others that was displayed was uncalled for

wyotonka said:
i think that just asks about mounting but maybe i cant read.... i just know if you have a problem with the way someone did something theres a nicer way to say something... i would have replied the same on anyones behalf ... just because you have "built" a car that was internationally featured doesnt make you any better of a person to look down on someone else the way that you did and i didnt say that your suggestions were wrong i just said that the attitude towards others that was displayed was uncalled for

Last edited:
Back