• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Replacing the WELDED on Torsion Crossmember Bushing!

Cdawg2tha11

Has anyone had to replace theirs yet? My truck just rolled over 300k and I got a correct suspension lift for it instead of torsion keys. After removing the keys though to torsion bar cross member is tilted back towards the rear wheels because the bushing that's welded to the frames rubber bushing is rotted out almost. Every other truck seems to have riveted brackets that then come with nuts and bolts to apply them back on. How the heck do I replace these?  :E: Any and all advice would be appreciated guys y'all have been nothing but helpful on all my mods and questions on here.

Regards

Chris

:help:

Can you post a picture of this. My AV is a bit different than yours.

I'll get it up as soon as I can but to be a bit more descriptive its the crossmember that the torsion keys and the rear of the torsion bars go in to. Here's a pic of the bushing. No noticeable mounting holes and this is exactly how it is welded into the frame of my truck. I don't know if GM was not thinking when they put these on these trucks or what but I need it off and a new one on some how. Ill get a pic of under my truck later and show the dry rot and exact location. Hopefully someone else has ran into this issue on the page or it'll be the first time I've seen an issue without some help.

Thanks

Chris

images

I think if you go to rockauto.com the replacement has the bolts and nuts, I'm guessing you will have to drill the openings in the frame for them.

Still on the search for this. Can't believe any of you guys haven't had to replace these ever. It's a huge pain and I am at a point with no more ideas.  :needhug:

Finally crawled under my truck and took pics to show you guys there is now way to remove this thing without an air chisel which I have but dont have a welder.

Attachments

• Bushing 1.jpg
    Bushing 1.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 265
  • Bushing 2.jpg
    Bushing 2.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 268
  • Bushing 3.jpg
    Bushing 3.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 265
I've been waiting to get my membership accepted just so I can reply here. I spent over a month doing a search on that and found out that you can just replace the bushing itself inside it has a metal sleeve around it and you can order it from gm. It cost me $40.08 i believe for one bushing you can find them cheaper elsewhere. The part number is 20829013. I haven't replaced mine yet but I read that all you need to do is grind off the 3 areas around the edge of the bushing that are raised then it'll push out and you can press the new one in. I had mine looked at by a local shop and they wanted to charge me over $500 to replace it they said they had to grind the whole mount off and replace it with one that you need to bolt on so they'd have to drill the frame. I wasn't too thrilled about that so I spent some time looking into it and came up with that part number.

Had my truck guy say the same thing and tried to find just the bushing. Definitely putting it on my list of possible "maybes". Thanks

I never heard of this needing replacement, and I work at a Chevrolet Dealership.

Ray41147 said:
I've been waiting to get my membership accepted just so I can reply here. I spent over a month doing a search on that and found out that you can just replace the bushing itself inside it has a metal sleeve around it and you can order it from gm. It cost me $40.08 i believe for one bushing you can find them cheaper elsewhere. The part number is 20829013. I haven't replaced mine yet but I read that all you need to do is grind off the 3 areas around the edge of the bushing that are raised then it'll push out and you can press the new one in. I had mine looked at by a local shop and they wanted to charge me over $500 to replace it they said they had to grind the whole mount off and replace it with one that you need to bolt on so they'd have to drill the frame. I wasn't too thrilled about that so I spent some time looking into it and came up with that part number.

Have you done this yet?  I just got my torsion keys installed and the shop pointed out my dry rotted bushings.  I need to replace them ASAP.

Yes guys I finally figured this and it was super super easy!!!! Go to advance auto or pep boys or whatever your preferred auto parts store is and buy the whole bushing i posted about 5 posts up. take a c clamp or ball joint press if you have one and press the new ones out and then take down your keys and torsion bars and press out those old junky ones and press in the new fresh ones!!! The clunking is finally gone underneath the Avy. If anyone needs help PM and I can try to walk you through better but it is literally that easy to replace these and just leave the welded bushing holder on the truck.

was getting a rattle under mine. new sway bushings and end links also shocks.
Under av today driver side bushing is gone. Need to get replacement.
I am not stock location with fabtek lift?

I replaced the ones on my brothers Tahoe, left side was a pita due to the fuel lines, but a quick heat sink solved that. Yes we got the weld in replacements, they were not had to do.

I am pretty sure I need to have this done on my Avalanche! This is most helpful information.

Back