• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Easy Install question 2007 LT

Linescreamer

I bought an amp (12"x10"x2") and component speakers.  I need to replace the Bose amp and put new speakers in the doors and dash.  I haven't done this in years.  Where would the existing amp be located and how could I remove it?  ill I need to put the new amp under the rear seat or can it go into the same location as the existing Bose amp? Will I need to swap out the speaker wires and run all new wires to the 4 doors and dash?  Any help would be welcome.

Go thru these links before you start.

arizona-dave took the time to get it right and make it easier for the rest of us.

Don't get too excited, and think this will be an easy install, it isn't, but IT WILL be right!

http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,136118.0.html

After you read thru this link, here is the original one to show how and where he tapped into all the wires.

http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,135995.0.html

It's a long read for both threads... but a couple hours in front of the screen will save countless hours cursing in the garage!!!

P.S. even if you just need front and rear outputs, run a line for subwoofer while everything is apart!!!

Thanks!  So it's not so easy?  I bought:

JX360/4 JL amp
Polk DB6501 2 way component speakers with tweeters for the front
Polk DB651 coaxial speakers for the rear
Kicker 09ZCK44 install kit

Crutchfield recommended the above parts.

I have some basic questions.  Are the above parts a good start to improve my sound both quality and volume? Reading those links it looks like I keep my Bose amp and splice into the existing wires to control the new amp and should probably run all new speaker wires?

That will be a huge improvement over stock equipment.  (y)

Basically you are bypassing the amp... running the amp inputs to your amp, then you can either run new wire OR (which I personally would do if  you're not running a huge amount of power, like yourself) run the output from your JL amp back up to the factory speaker wiring at the Bose amp. (the factory wiring is 18ga, so unless you were gonna run something bigger there is no real benefit)

Also as suggested before, run a low level (RCA wire) to the back for subwoofer output as you will probably want to add some real bass to the system as soon as you fire up those new mids and highs.

P.S. The wiring and installation of the aftermarket parts is not the hard part...  
the hard part is taking everything apart to get access to the amp.  :E:

Thanks!  That was really helpful!  Do I completely disconnect the factory Bose amp or just the speaker wires and leave the rest connected?  I thought that Bose amp had to stay connected to operate the other functions?  I'm not clear on what stays connected to the existing Bose amp?  It also sounds like the existing speaker wires are sufficient to run the new Polk speakers with the JL amp?

It does tell you in those linked threads what to do with your factory hookups.

I'm 99% sure if you are adding an amp to power 4 door speakers, you will be splicing into your factory harness under the console, and you MUST unplug the harness associated or you will be backfeeding your high powered amp signal into the factory amp.

The link shows where you will solder your low level L/R +/- RCA hookups PRE BOSE to run RCA signal back to your new 4 channel amp under the console. AND it shows where you will splice your high level speaker outputs from your amp into the factory speaker wires under the console AFTER BOSE. Unplug the harness!!

***** solder/splice your RCA wires into these low level pre-bose wires*****
Low Level Pre-Bose Amp (10 wires in plug):

Front Left (+) TAN                Front Right (+) Lt GRN/Wht Stripe
Front Left (-) Dk GRN            Front Right (-) ORANG/Blk Stripe

Rear Left (+) BRN/Wht Strp    Rear Right (+) Dk BLU
Rear Left (-) BRN                  Rear Right (-) TAN

Remote Power-On - WHITE (or just Off-White)

DSC_0078_zps171c7c06.jpg

*****run your high level speaker wire L/R +/- from your amp to after-bose door speaker wires and UNPLUG THE HARNESS FROM FACTORY POSITION*****

High Level Door Speakers:
Front Left (+) TAN                Front Right (+) Lt GRN
Front Left (-) GREY              Front Right (-) Dk GRN

Rear Left (+) BRN                  Rear Right (+) Dk BLU
Rear Left (-) YEL                  Rear Right (-) Lt BLU

Read more here:
http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,136118.0.html

I am not questioning what you guys have already done and the info supplied is great!  I don't know what low-level input, popping resistors, whips or RCA means.....just want to clarify. 

So, I need to leave 2 plugs (Power and Low-level) connected to the factory Bose amp and the speaker output plug is not reconnected?  It's hard to see in the pictures.

Back