• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

PCM Updates Needed or Not? 11H and others!

NightOwl

Go to http://calid.gm.com/vci/ and punch in your VIN #.

Now the questions are:

Has anyone had any PCM updates done at the dealer as listed?

Should these updates be done to take advantage of any enhancements to programming even if there are no issues with the vehicle?

Has anyone had updates done to a 2002 and noticed any difference in engine/trans performance since it lists for my VIN # engine/fuel/trans/operating system updates?

11H please weigh in with your knowledge on this issue or any info you can gain from your dealer contacts!

Thanks...Scott

Scott,,,

I ran my vin about 4 months ago to find the updates/software part numbers...

I then plugged in the Diablo Predator to see which part #'s my pcm had... They were all concurrent with the part numbers I had from the GM calibration site...

I also visited my dealership where the service manager plugged up with the Tech 2 ... They again, were the same as the print out he had at his disposal... So, I was convinced I had the most recent part #'s available...

The build date of my truck was 9/01 ... The only way to tell if "your" vehicle has the updated part numbers is to do what I did... You have to pull the part codes off the pcm, and reference those with what the GM site gives you...

To answer your question about if it's worth it to do the updates... ::: Throughout the model years there are at times specific patches or releases (part#'s) for certain components on your truck... These are released for various reasons... At times if there is a characteristic complaint or issue with a certain truck with a certain configuration, a pcm patch (new part# for that component) could be released to correct the issue or enhance the customer's performance request or complaint... For example, in the new style silverados there was a revision to the transmission controlling portion of the pcm to soften up the 1-2 shift is some customers were not happy with it... That part of the pcm received and available updated part number for customers that had complaints...

Also, there are revisions sometimes as part of a bulletin that may be done when you drop your vehicle off for warranty service... Now as far as getting an update for the heck of it, that depends on your dealership... Usually they won't want to bring a vehicle in for an update unless there is a complaint that relates to the update... I have heard from techs that doing an update may add to a problem ... So, that's my slant anyways...

11H

Back