• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Computer learns your driving style?

pepprdog

Here goes.... My first question in here.
Im a retired Mercedes-Benz tech so don't worry about going over my head with tech stuff.
I've looked but can't find this even though it's probably all over the forum.
Just got a pristine 2010 Avalanche LT with 24,000 miles. Love the way it drives!
I understand it's REALLY heavy and town driving really sucks fuel. I want to maximize its performance/fuel usage within reason financially. Started with a K&N filter just like every vehicle I own, 4-wheelers and all.
I've looked at the HP/torque curves on a lot of the tuners and they usually show increases from 3,500RPM and above.
I did see where the Hypertech has a big difference depending on the low/high octane fuel tunes.
Does the stock tune recognize the difference between 87 and 92/93 octane, giving better mileage with high test?
Does it use a knock sensor to adjust the timing?
If it does, does it use fuzzy logic type tuning adjustments that can be reset to factory zero (disconnect battery or through OBDII ) and then it adjust to higher octane tuning. I do have an OBDII set but this is my first GM product.
I like the cleaners used in most high test fuels and the fact it allows earlier timing IF the computer adjusts accordingly followed by better fuel economy.
Next.... is it worth the extra cost for the high test?

First off Welcome to Avalanche ownership and the club.

The stock tune will only go so far in performance and just adding higher octane fuel will only keep the detonation away and will probably return little or no increase in performance.

The ECM advances the timing but will limit or retard if detonation is detected. You can't change it or reset it, if the computer is disconnected or "reset" by disconnecting the battery it will relearn any seat of the pants performance you may feel from driving it after a few miles. I know my truck allways feels stronger after I've been towing but after awhile it seems to lose it.

The easiest way to to pick up a little performance is with a aftermarket programmer and set your tune the fuel your willing to pay for, that's up to you. You can set it for 91-93 and if fuel goes up and you want to change it all it takes is hooking up the programmer and making to changes.

For a little more performance you can pull your ECM out and send it to a couple of differant tuners and some say you get the most power this way, me being one of them. I have mine tuned by Nelson and definitely feels stronger than the handheld programmer. The drawback is you can't change it back with out sending it back unless you eat the core charge and keep your original ECM, then you just have to swap them back. The good news is there is no charge from Nelson will re-tune you ECM for as long as you own it if you want to change it or add other aftermarket performance parts than require ECM tuning to take full advantage of them. They will do this I think a few times a year for nothing except shipping.

Theres also a  member/vendor here that does tunes.. You can do a search and find him or he or someone will jump in with the info..

Hope this helps.. Good luck''

Randy

In addition to Randy's suggestion of a Nelson tune, if you don't mind spending upwards of $1500, you can keep your ECM installed in the vehicle, purchase HP Tuners, interface module and wide band O2 AFR meter.  Nelson can email you tunes and you install them your self through the OBDII.  This comes in handy, as you can store various tunes in your computer for use at a later date.  No down time while waiting for ECM exchange.  Also, if you are part programming wizard, and figure out how to use HP Tuners, you can program it your self...then teach me how to use mine  :E:

Thanks for this great information!!
The .20c increase on price for high test would be worthwhile if it increased 1mpg.
Considering the decarboning, cleaner internals alone makes sense to me.
I don't plan on spending several hundred dollars for just a couple MPG, at least not yet. Have to do more study on these programmers.
For my performance kicks I have a mildly "improved" really nice red 5.0 5spd 95 Mustang convertible with red leather I've been driving for 15 years ?

with balck bear custom tune you buy the efi auto cal and after you log your tranny and ecm you send it in and you get 3 tunes one for the tcm or tranny and one engine tune for 87-89 octane and one for 91 octane...and you can reload your stock tunes at any time....I really like it althought the directions really suck....jeff

yeah, same can be done with the diablo tools and my custom tuning..  no difference... except for my much better/quicker customer service, and I have people do multiple data logs throughout the tuning process so that everything gets dialed in correctly...  >:D

Back