• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

New Head Unit for my 2008 LTZ

JohnnieMo

SM 2017
PM 2014
SM 2013
I'm looking for recommendations to replace my current Nav unit with something better.  Right now I have the Nav, plus Lockpick550 to enable my Parrot bluetooth.  I really like the Parrot system, but I'd be willing to drop it for a really good new head unit.  I don't use OnStar or XM.

What I want is a really slick navigation system.  I don't want junk.  It has be be superior quality with good routing and traffic reports.  I'm in Canada as well, so the traffic stuff needs to work here.  I also need to retain my backup camera and steering controls.  I don't use an iAnything, so that isn't as important to me, but I'm sure my teenage daughter would love to hook up her iPad.  The only other consideration is that I may wish to add a second camera when I'm towing my boat (i.e. install a camera on the back of the boat trailer) and be able to view it.

Oh ya, and I also have the Bose stereo, so I want to retain that as is. I don't want to add amplifiers or screw around with anything.  I get enough of that with my other toys. 

As for install, I used to be a car audio installer, so that part is easy.  I'm just out of date on what technology is actually available for these trucks.

I just want something nicer. I can't justify $1400-$2000 for the '12 version...unless I can take the old one out of the AV and plunk it into the 'burb. MAYBE then. But I need to find out what I need to do for the backup cam, since that would be the main reason behind putting it in the 'burb.

Thanks.

No I haven't. I'm leaning towards a portable garmin for a few reasons:

- the integrated garmin nav head units are older model nav engines. As such they aren't as good
- no aftermarket unit has all the features I want and most of them have firmware problems.
- to get a good one is north of $1200. Given I already have a nice parrot bluetooth I don't need a new bluetooth. So for $300 I can get a top notch portable garmin and use it anywhere. Not as pretty but I like the look of the extra $1000 in my pocket more.

Stick with your factory and the Lockpick.

I have debated for over a year to change out to the 8" Alpine, simply to make it easier to add all the amps and speakers I have had siitting in the closet for too long.

But here is my dilemma, I have front and rear cams hooked up to my lockpick,
I regularly watch movies on the front screen, and will be adding the side cams soon.
I also love my Garmin GPS units, chocked full of features, great maps and go from car to car.
(4.3" mounted on the dash and a newer 5" that I have suctioned to the pass side burlwood for the co pilot to enter destinations on the go)

The alpine doesn't have inputs for 4 cams, and I can't access them at any time like with the lockpick, I can't view movies on the front screen while moving or input GPS on the go. So bypass the Bose amp and keep my factory deck it is!!

If you are keeping the Bose and happy with the sound just get a portable GPS but maybe consider a fixed dash mount so it doesn't look so out of place.

I removed my Edge programmer from the pod and stuck my 4.3 there instead (the 5" also fits quite nicely)
http://www.edgeproducts.com/product.php?pk=93&pvk=282
edge_dash_pod_28302.jpg

index.php

Very cool! I think that settles it for me. How does the garmin actually attach to the pod? 

I'm fine with the bose system. It's not amazing but it does the job. There are other things I'd sooner spend money on. 

I find the lock pick cumbersome but it works. Although sometimes when I start the truck the radio and backup sensors just don't turn on. I assume it is related to the lock pick since it started when I installed it, however the tech and I could not figure out why. It happens about 2-5% of the time. It's mostly just an annoyance but to fix you need to shut the truck off for at least 10 minutes (so all the circuits get powered down.)

JohnnieMo said:
Very cool! I think that settles it for me. How does the garmin actually attach to the pod?  

After careful consideration of mounting materials and adhesives... :rolleyes:

I ended up just using two long thin velcro strips top and bottom for ease of removal
(although since I put it there over 2 years ago it hasn't moved)

Another view of the pod but with an Edge CTS programmer installed.
1006tr_05%2bedge_evolution_CTS_programmer%2bcustom_mounting_pod.jpg

Back