• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Extending range for the remote keyfob??

Thomcat

SM 2013
This is going to sound crazy or like some urban legend......perhaps it is a good topic for the TV show Mythbusters to check out.

I forget exactly where, but I remembered reading that you could extend the range of the RF remote keyfob by placing it in front of your open mouth and using your pallet as a reflector to effectively boost the signal. Sounded nuts.

Well today I was just out of range while the wife was walking to the vehicle. I tried this trick and it appeared to work! Holding it at the exact height with my mouth shut.......no flashing lights; standing in the same spot with the remote at the same height with opened mouth to bounce the signal ........ lights flashed and the doors opened.

Take it for what it is worth. Someday when out of range, if you don't mind looking crazy to others like you are trying to eat the keyfob, you might want to give it a try.

http://community.cartalk.com/discussion/2127756/does-the-remote-entry-work-better-when-pointed-at-your-chin

much more there

I been usin' a tin foil hat repeater to get it to work better out of my windowless NSA office.

Heard/Learned that trick when I was 16 years old, been using it ever since. If its a "myth", its a myth that I absolutely could never be convinced of. It has worked for me for the last 17 years and various key fobs when doing it "normally" doesn't work. Interesting topic to ask the Avy Community what they think though. I wonder if its one of those things where certain people in certain areas know about it......like how you can get "fry sauce" at just about any burger joint in Idaho, but you go to Washington State and ask for "fry sauce" and the server looks at ya like your from mars...... My wife is from Idaho and the first time I put the key fob to my throwt she thought I was CRAZY..... Until she saw it work!!!!!

fry sauce is regional. kinda like throwt.

I'll just live in my region, spell stuf rong, and enjoy the heck out of the fact that we can still own 15 round and up magazines......  :p

I was very skeptical about range improvement of fob by placing the fob on your forehead, my brother in law swore it to be true. My curiosity got to me, I tried it and voila it worked, it was obvious, the fob did not work no matter how high I positioned it, once I placed the fob on my forehead the car unlocked, magic! Im not sure what long term effects this would have on your body but, at least your fob range improves, lol

I hit remote start on my phone while 2500 miles away. Folks hate it when I do that.

Actually hold mine to my chin and it greatly increases the range... Not sure why but it does...

As for rest....

Oh yea I can also start mine from my phone so...

Rodney

Back