• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Have a strange issue - Key FOB PRogramming

vector

I have an 2007 and two remotes. Recently one of the batteries went dead so I replaced both remotes with fresh batteries. However one of them was not working. So I programmed it with the system we use with the dashboard prompts. Sure enough remote A was working just like you would expect. However when I grabbed remote B, it was not working. So I reprogrammed it, and it worked fine. So in theory I should have two functioning remotes, right?
Well not so fast. When I programmed B and it was working, remote A stopped working. Of course when I programmed A, it worked, but then remote B didn't. So I figured that somehow when you program a remote, the code the truck has changes. So I decided to try and program both at the same time. Unfortunately that didn't work either.

I suspect this is something simple, and I am going to feel foolish  :-[ after I hear what it is. Still I need you'll to point out how to get both remotes working at the same time.

take a look on some other threads here

http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,128988.0.html
http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,38425.0.html

MLM said:
When you programmed both at the same time did either of them work? You should get a chime after each one is learned.

Here are some instructions, Silverado should be the same procedure:

http://www.gmpartsonline.net/pages/index.cfm?action=viewPage&siteid=215055&pageid=13276

Yes, one of them worked and the other didn't. That is the problem They both work, only not at the same time. If I program remote A it works but B doesn't. Then if I program remote B, it works, but then A stops working.

So I am obviously doing something correct to program each one, but then the other one stops working. When I tried both simultaneously, only one worked, not the other.  :E:

Loggie said:
take a look on some other threads here

http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,128988.0.html
http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,38425.0.html

Thanks for trying to help.

Trouble is the first thread seemed to be a gal who couldn't program her remote period, which is not my problem. However someone in the thread did post up that they had a similar problem as what I am experiencing, yet no one seemed to reply specifically to them. The second thread seems related to a 2002 model year, and I know from experience the procedure is different for pre-2007 models.

There must be a way to program both of them to work at the same time, I just need to know the trick.  ???

Just a wild guess, but maybe you exceeded the maximum number of remotes......I believe that there is a maximum of five remotes that can be programmed.......if you bought the car second hand and the originals were lost or there were more than two drives and additional remotes were entered or the originals reprogrammed, you may have to erase older entries.....this happened to me with the 2 driver seating, the new remote knocked out the old one and it would open the doors but not work the seats......like I said, just a wild guess

Ok, I think I have it figured out, so I will post my results in case others have the same problem.
When I tried to program both at the same time, I literally was holding down both remotes buttons. However when I programmed each one individually in the same session, before turning off the key, I got them both to work.

Another words, if you run into the problem, you cannot program one, then later in another session program others because it seems to change the code each time you do it. So within the same programming session, program each one individually within the time frame it allows.

Both key fobs for my 2004 Avalanche are not functioning (batteries are good). I attempted to reprogram them using the instructions posted on this forum. As I go through the sequence, everything works as described, except that when I get to the step and hold the lock & unlock buttons on the transmitter, the doors do not lock and unlock after approximately 15 seconds to confirm programming of the transmitter.

Does anyone know - is this a symptom of a problem with the remote door lock receiver (RCDLR) which I have read is integrated into the passenger side door power window/door lock assembly ?

Thanks ahead of time for your help.

---t

How old are the fobs?

The one fob I got with my '04 when I bought the truck in '12 was bad.

The two new ones I bought at the dealer at that time both crapped out just last year.

I bought two more new ones online and they are both still working at this time.

The dealer where I first bought my replacements had a device they used to see if the remotes were transmitting.

Perhaps a parts store would also have such a device.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I purchased a new fob (LHJ011) back in 2013 when one of the originals quit - and I think that I was able to program that one at the time.

It's possible that both of the fobs are now dead - just suspicious that they both stopped working at the same time and I could not get thru the reprogramming sequence.

But that's a good suggestion to verify that the transmitters are functioning - I'll look in to that.

An update, ...

After verifying that the FOBs are transmitting (@ Autozone) I replaced the driver's side power lock/window/mirror assembly (GM 15883320) since I believe it has the RCDLR module which I suspect may have been faulty and the door lock switch was intermittent.

I tried reprogramming the FOBs without success. The car seems to get into the programming mode after holding the door unlock switch and cycling the ignition to on/off position - but after that it never completes the FOB programming after pressing and holding the lock and unlock buttons on the FOB.

Any suggestions on what other checks I can make ?

Thanks for your help.

Sorry I missed this Thrasher, the 07up you will need a tech 2 programmer. Which all dealers have and some auto repair places.

Or try using the passenger door if you have a 06 down.

Thanks MS03 2500!

You're right - I need to look at replacing the passenger side switch module. I think that I read that somewhere, sometime - but got fixated on the driver's side since the switches were getting intermittent.

Mine is an '04' - so hopefully that switch will be the cure.

Appreciate the info.

---thrasher

Just try programming them from the passenger door

"Programming from the passenger door" - do you mean to use the unlock switch on the passenger door get the system into the programming mode ?

Yes I do mean that, the drivers door module is the master switch the passenger door switch is a slave. The remote function is in the passenger door module/switch.

Same result when using the passenger door switch (holding unlock) to enter programming mode. Transmitters do not program.

I seem to recall that when I previously programmed FOBs, the DIC displayed a message that it was in programming mode - but I don't see any message now when programming. But not 100% sure.

Time for a new passenger door switch module ?

Back