• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

CAI, Exhaust and Programmer

Submariner

CAI:
So was surfing EBAY and came across this Volant CAI http://volant.com/edetail.asp?ID=949 Volant states "By using Donaldson's? PowerCore? Filtration Technology submicron contaminants load on the surface rather than collecting in the depth of the filter. This boosts efficiency and increases performance on your aftermarket air intake system. The filter media won't deteriorate as easily as traditional cotton/gauze filters. Plus, it's water resistant, so getting wet won't ruin your air flow or cause a decrease in performance. This is why we warranty our replacement air-filters for 4 years or 100,000 miles in urban conditions, whichever comes first." Snake oil? Anyone heard/tried this filter? Better than the normal cone style?

The best price I found was $270, I got it for 63 bucks and it is brand new. Catch is it is missing the filter, Plexi cover, one 3"x4" coupler and some assorted screws. I went onto Amazon and got both the filter and prefilter for $84 and now am into it for under $150. As far as the lid I'll just get a piece of Plexi and cut/drill it to fit, I can scavenge the coupler from the old 07 stock airbox I have kicking around, add in a few stainless screws and all together I should be into a new system for under $175.  :woot:

Exhaust:
The Gibson Split rear Stainless system is in transit now. However I plan on substituting the Gibson muffler for a FM 40. Also I happen to have a spare set of Gibson slash exhaust and I have roughed them up and am applying multiple coats of high temp flat black paint to them (Avy is White with a black Linexed Hunter Brush guard) and they will go on instead of the chrome ones.

Programmer:
Bully Dog is installed at the performance setting so I'm almost all set. This will be the 3rd vehicle this programmer has been on so I have gotten my moneys worth out of it. I may sell it and go to a Diablo Trinity to drop the TM.

Ok so leave the Plexi cutting to the pros  :E. God that stuff is a PITA to work with. Anyway had a better idea. Going to either get a piece of aluminum diamond plate from a scrapped out truck tool box (Free!) and cut it or grab a Teflon cutting board and use it. Teflon won't transmit heat but diamond plate would look sharp.

Back