• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Homemade windshield mount for a Bully Dog GT or other things

Submariner

Lets face it the stock mounting piece which uses a cheap suction cup flat out sucks. I have dealt with it for years and modified it once to use Velcro but over the years the Velcro glue dries up and it falls off. Today I was seriously considering buying a pillar mount and came across the windshield mount and considered that but was to cheap to fork out 30+ bucks then it hit me. I had a mount that is used to mount a flashlight to the magazine tube of a shotgun. All I had to do was drill out where it threaded into the second half of the shotgun mount (You want it to be able to pivot and since it came with a bolt and nut the threads were useless) then pull the base from the cheap ass suction cop mount (It pulls out real easy). Now you only have the part which mounts to the unit and the bendable part. Mount that in the smaller side of the shotgun mount (The part for the flashlight) and the other to the back of the Mirror. Run the cord from the OBDII plug through the dash up thru the pillar, tuck it in the headliner along the windshield up to the mirror then plug it in. The original cord is about 2 feet to short for this but I also had a longer HDMI cable which is exactly what Bully Dog uses so I was all set. Pics below

Attachments

• Mount 1.jpg
    Mount 1.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 94
  • Mount 2.jpg
    Mount 2.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 93
(y) Great install very clean with nice pics.
How hard was it to tuck under the headliner?

There is a slight gap between it and the windshield so it simply tucked under it and stays great. I need to replace the white zip tie with a black one. All my black ones were way to big. Oh and the pillar also came off very easy. Just pull the snap on cover at the top and there is a small screw inside it,

How do you like your BullyDog GT? I just bought one today and looking for any tips as far as install goes. I've only have the plug and play models of these an this install looks to be a little different. Thanks

Back