• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Torque App for Android

zr2s10

Does anyone on here use the "Torque" app for Android, with their Avalanche?  My '03 doesn't have avg or instant economy readout, and I'd like to at least get an idea of what the computer thinks it is, lol.  Does anyone know if the app will tell me either of these numbers on my truck?  At least the instant would be nice, not sure how it would keep track of a running average though.  The info for the app on the Play store shows an "econ" dial (in km/L) on one of the pics, but doesn't state (that I saw) if it does that, let alone if that feature will work on any OBDII vehicle.  Since my DIC doesn't show it, I'm concerned the app may not be able to read it.

I'm installing it now.

going to have to do some reading on this app.  Are you using the paid version of the Lite?

I use OBDLink, Hope This Helps..

It only works with certain adapters.

I need to get the ODB II Bluetooth diagnostic interface now.  Guess I will get it online being my local stores don't have them :p

I use dash command by Palmer Performance.
My 02 Avy does not have that capability either although the app has some advance mathematics which it uses to calculate it based on the engine size, weight, drag coefficient, tire size, gear ratios etc.
The app I know is capable of supporting it but if the vehicle does not natively give you access to that, I'm not sure the app would either.

Palmer performance does have professional software and a GM Enhanced parameter list which gives you access to a lot more features but I don't know for a fact that it will enable that feature, nor is the software made for in car use.
The UI is not freindly with a small screen I believe and the added cost is not justifiable.

The ScanXL Pro software with the GM Enhanced software will do it, but it's a little overkill just for instant mileage. Dash Command is better for this.

I use ScanXL on my laptop and yes it will tell you anything about what the vehicle is doing.

just ordered the BAFX - PIC18F2480 Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - Android compatible $30

Wow, didn't expect so many replies within half a day, lol.  (y)

I haven't bought the app yet, or the BT adapter.  But was planning on it sometime this week.  eBay seems to have adapters pretty cheap, though I'm sure I'll get what I pay for!  Even if it doesn't support mpg calculations, I still may get it for fault codes if nothing else.  Then I can use it for my other vehicles too.  Also, I have a windshield mount, so I can use it as a HUD on my GS3, and if I wanna go crazy, on my Note 10.1, lol.  My Grand Prix has a HUD, and though it's broken, it would be a real nice feature to have on our Jeep and my Avalanche.  The mileage check on my Av would just be a nice bonus.

I'll have to check out the other apps mentioned.  I was just looking at Torque, because I've seen that app listed on multiple forums and Jalopnik, Motor Trend, etc. and it's supposed to be the best.  But, definitely wouldn't hurt to check out the reader reviews on the others.

this is nowhere near what i could do with HP Tuner but I bought the app and the OBD2 scan tool just for SnGs.  Problem with the Torque app that I can see, your data is only as good as what you set it up to be.  Weight being the biggest factor IMO.

I'm going to a scale and get a weight so I can can have better data reads.

Loggie
Does it require you to calculate frontal area of the truck too.
I've seen some apps out there that use that as well to get a more accurate calculation.
Unfortunately It is not easy for one (that means me) to calculate by hand the frontal area as there will be too many rectangles and triangles and possibly eclipses to calculate the area of to get the total frontal area.

It seriously asks this?  I assumed it would track distance driven, vs. fuel consumed based on injector firing to achieve an estimate.

Dluvr22 said:
Loggie
Does it require you to calculate frontal are of the truck too.
I've seen some apps out there that use that as well to get a more accurate calculation.
Unfortunately It is not easy for one (that means me) to calculate by hand the frontal area as there will be too many rectangles and triangles and possibly eclipses to calculate the area of to get the total frontal area.

I didn't see anything on that yet but I just downloaded it today

zr2s10 said:
It seriously asks this?  I assumed it would track distance driven, vs. fuel consumed based on injector firing to achieve an estimate.

No I dont think so.  I uses weight of the truck along with other things being read by the sensor.  Again, just got it so, give me a few days and I will see what I can find out

Just got on the dashboard

http://torque-bhp.com/wiki/Main_Page

I use Torque app and it will monitor most all sensors that the ECM receives. You can see MPG and avg. MPG, HP and Torque, 0-60, 06-80 0-100 times, as well as 1/8 mile and 1/4 times. I like it because you can set up multiple screens with any mix of gauges of functions in large or small gauge sizes.

I also have the Palmer performace app and prefer Torque..

Theres a "Torque Lite " that's free so if you don't like it un-install it. If you do like it then it's only $4.95...

You have to have the Bluetooth OBDII interface to use any of the apps, I have the PLX for the android.

Randy

And I should add you can read and reset trouble codes...

Thanks for the info!  For the average MPG, does it just track it for the trip you're on, or will it keep a running log in the app?  And in that regard, does it handle profiles for more than one vehicle? 

I'll definitely be picking this up, just curious about those things!  I think for 5 bucks, the app is well worth it.  Now I just have to order and wait for the adapter.

zr2s10 said:
Thanks for the info!  For the average MPG, does it just track it for the trip you're on, or will it keep a running log in the app?  And in that regard, does it handle profiles for more than one vehicle? 

I'll definitely be picking this up, just curious about those things!  I think for 5 bucks, the app is well worth it.  Now I just have to order and wait for the adapter.

Looked at a lot of reviews online and this product has some good feedback.  The one major negative thing I read was a dude installed the Bluetooth OBDII program using a disk that came with the adapter and there was a Trojan virus on it :p but he did comment the program works.

Loggie said:
Looked at a lot of reviews online and this product has some good feedback.  The one major negative thing I read was a dude installed the Bluetooth OBDII program using a disk that came with the adapter and there was a Trojan virus on it :p but he did comment the program works.

I use the TorquePro and have it displayed on my tablet from the mount between the front passenger seat and center console. Bought a cheap OBDII adapter off Amazon and never used the disk. Glad I didn't after hearing that!

Hmmm, I'll have to remember not to install any disk that comes with an adapter!  What is it for though?  Is that if you connect it to a PC or something?  My GS3 and Note 10.1 don't have CD slots, lol.

Saoirse, I'm also planning on putting this on my tablet, once I find a good mount (unless it's an iPad, accessories can be hard to find!).  I should be able to put it on both that and my phone, since they don't list a tablet specific version, and I use the same g-mail account on both.  Swiftkey has a tablet specific version, so I had to buy that twice, lol.

Now if I can only talk my boss into a 3D printer so I can make my own custom docks, lol.

zr2s10 said:
Hmmm, I'll have to remember not to install any disk that comes with an adapter!  What is it for though?  Is that if you connect it to a PC or something?  My GS3 and Note 10.1 don't have CD slots, lol.

Saoirse, I'm also planning on putting this on my tablet, once I find a good mount (unless it's an iPad, accessories can be hard to find!).  I should be able to put it on both that and my phone, since they don't list a tablet specific version, and I use the same g-mail account on both.  Swiftkey has a tablet specific version, so I had to buy that twice, lol.

Now if I can only talk my boss into a 3D printer so I can make my own custom docks, lol.

You could probably find one off amazon for your year and tablet model. I use amazon for everything  :beating:

"You don't need no stinking disk"... Just down load from the app store, as far as keeping a running avg on MPG I'm not sure, I've never tried, I have just been using it for instant and trip. Yes you can have multiple vehicle profiles.
You can change the layout of the gauges and color to customize it anyway you want it's pretty cool and fun to play with.

If you use the PLX Bluetooth device you can also add  an air a fuel ratio sensor and more if you want to really get into monitoring and/or tuning.  http://www.plxdevices.com/

Dashcommand has pretty much the same functions just with uses a differant layout. In the app store it says it's free but to use all of the functions you've got to buy it..

Randy

Thanks Randy for the info

I bought the app and adapter.  For as cheap as it is its worth it.  Also nice to carry around to quickly tell a friend why their check engine light is on. I don't know for sure but I don't think the mpg is nearly as robust as what some are thinking. I suspect it's using the phones gps to determine distance traveled and maybe some injector value or whatever the fuel pump sending unit is indicating a change of.

I use an ELM327 bluetooth adapter from Amazon with "Torque Pro" and "Ulysse Speedometer Pro" on my Galaxy Nexus and my Galaxy Tab 7.0.

Both apps are working great. Torque has much more functions. Ulysse shows only a few gauges with infos from the phones gps and has no OBD2 connection but it looks better imho.

If you add gauges in Torque you see if the value is from a OBD2 sensor (black background) or calculated / from phone (green background).

Back