• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Predator, adjust downshift behavior?

Luke M

I'm struggling with getting my downshifting to function how I'd like.

I've got an 03, so my predator is a U7193.  The only parameter I have that should affect this is called "Downshift MPH."  I had the 3->2 Tow/Haul value set to 62.98MPH.  I also tried values greater than, and less than that.  Regardless of what I do, if I am cruising along at 65mph, I have to slow to 54mph before the transmission will drop a gear.  I'm adjusting the tow/haul value as I often tap the Tow/Haul button before climbing a hill to help maintain speed. 

Does anyone have any pointers?  I'm wondering if I'm not headed toward a custom tune to help out with this...

Via my HPTuners custom tune, mine will downshift into 2nd at 65, although it is quite a jump in rpm there.  I forget off hand where my 03's stock 2-3 WOT throttle shift is, but it was probably in the mid 70s so it isn't that surprising that GM wouldn't have it downshift into 2nd at 65, but 54 is pretty low.

Hopefully a Predator owner will be able to get you a good answer for how to make your Predator give you what you want.  :B:

I should clarify this is not at WOT. If I put it to the floor, yes it will shift. Maybe that is what the predator is controlling, only the downshift at WOT?

I suspect with the Predator all you can adjust is WOT.

In HPTuners for each gear and the Torque converter, also separately for normal driving, cruise control, tow/haul, and hot transmission, I can adjust for upshift, downshift, torque converter lock and unlock.  To do this I adjust via table entry for about a dozen throttle increments the speed at which these events occur.  For instance I just made a tweak to how little throttle is required for the torque converter to lock in the low 40s mph by increasing a couple of cells from 40/47 to 41/48.  Tons of flexability that is hard to get to with a handhold.

Thanks lew. I figured that to be the case and you seem to be an authority on all things Diablo. A custom tune has been on my mind since I had figured it would come to that.  Spent some time cruising your site.  Also thought about jumping into hptuners, though the price is a little steep.  Hopefully this thread can be of use to others. Bummer you can manipulate upshifts by throttle position but not downshifts with the predator.  Any idea if the intune can?

no, intune won't either...  you can not change downshifts....

again, that's something that could be done in a custom tune though....

Back