• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Stupid Question about a programmer

Flex

Looks like I am striking out on finding someone local with hp.

My stupid question is- With a tuner do you have to leave it plugged in all the time? Or do you plug in, tune, and remove?

Looking at the Intune and a few others  but I do not want to have a gauge or anything mounted all the time.

I have the predator.  You flash the tune to your trucks computer and then you can remove the programmer.  I can only assume this is also the case with other handheld programmers.  For the Diablosport Trinity and inTune, along with higher end programmers, they also act as a display for real time data, which requires a constant connection.

That is correct, set it and forget it.  LOL

The tuner reprograms your ecm so once done you unplug it. The Hypertech walks you through all this. Read instructions fully first and make sure your battery is charged on your vehicle.

Avalon

I would get a good mail order tune from a reputable tuner before getting any handhelds.  Handhelds do not do anything close to what they advertise.  They are basically only good for changing tire size, shift points, etc.

RedRocketZ28 said:
I would get a good mail order tune from a reputable tuner before getting any handhelds.  Handhelds do not do anything close to what they advertise.  They are basically only good for changing tire size, shift points, etc.

I am not in agreement. Hypertech definitely made a difference on vehicles i programmed. However a DYNO tune is by far the best.

Avalon

no, you do not need to leave the inTune or Trinity plugged in all the time... 

the only time you have to connect it to the truck is when you are installing a tune, or recording a data log... other than that, you can store it wherever you want...

and yes the preset tunes will give you improvements/gains, and the beauty about the diablosport tools, is that you can also get custom tuning done for them/your vehicle, from a diablosport custom tuner like myself...  which you can not do with other handhelds... 

plus they have the most end-user adjustable parameters available compared to others, more complete/full data logging with full parameter support, ability to restore back to stock original backup GM tune at any time and leave no footprint, etc etc....

any questions, please feel free to hit me up!

06MonteSS said:
no, you do not need to leave the inTune or Trinity plugged in all the time... 

the only time you have to connect it to the truck is when you are installing a tune, or recording a data log... other than that, you can store it wherever you want...

and yes the preset tunes will give you improvements/gains, and the beauty about the diablosport tools, is that you can also get custom tuning done for them/your vehicle, from a diablosport custom tuner like myself...  which you can not do with other handhelds... 

plus they have the most end-user adjustable parameters available compared to others, more complete/full data logging with full parameter support, ability to restore back to stock original backup GM tune at any time and leave no footprint, etc etc....

any questions, please feel free to hit me up!
Listen to Monte if you're looking into the Diablosport products. He did a custom tune for my Predator 3 or 4 years ago and it made  a world of difference. He was able to program it to control my efans through the ecm instead of going with an aftermarket controller. The avy I'm referring to is my 04 which did not come with efans.

I have my Diablo sport inTune on order and look forward to working on a custom program for my truck! :woohoo:
Been doing a lot of research on programmers and you do get a lot of bang for your buck with these ...really depends what ur looking for...me...ease of use but heavy features and customizable...this seemed to do it...Should have it on Wednesday and will let u know how it goes  (y)
:cheers:

inTune updated and installed the base 87 octane program...now ready to start logging in a couple days!
(y)

When purchasing the Diablo Trinity + custom tune from you, what information do you need from the customer beforehand to make the tune?  I'm interested in the DT package deal, but the purchase goes straight to Paypal without asking for any particular information about my vehicle (upgrades, etc). 

but with a custom tune you HAVE to log your engine and tranny by driving around and having a few wot runs so they can make the MANY settable parameters for your engine not just a select few that any handheld can show...jeff

Back