• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Disable AFM - without reprogramming - reversible & undetectable???

Thomcat

SM 2013
I ran across this on the Internet - Range AFM disable device. Made me wish I hadn't traded my cherry '07 for fear of eventually developing the feared AFM related oil consumption related problems and tried this instead.

http://www.rangetechnology.com/pages/v8

All I know about this is what is contained on their webpage and I have no first hand knowledge of the device, how it works, or whether it operates as claimed. You can check it out for yourself and see if this meets your needs. But it does seem a practical alternative for those who want to disable AFM only instead of reprogramming the ECM module with a tuner to turn off AFM which is detectable by the dealer and will likely void any warranty.

Essentially the device plugs into the diagnostic connector to turn off AFM and claims to be reversible and undetectable once removed when servicing the vehicle. I may resort to this if time reveals that the AFM problem has not been solved in the '12 & '13 models.

very interesting!

I would love to know what it's doing to bypass the factory tune w/o it being noticeable.

They also have one that stays in V4 for more time - two versions.  Again I wonder how they do it. 

I installed one about 2 weeks ago, little over 600 miles with it plugged in, works as they state, no AFM, stays in V-8 mode all the time, take
the module out and your back to AFM.
I Like driving in the V-8 mode, just hated it when it would go from 4 to 8.

How has the mileage been? My Bully Dog GT has an option to disable the AFM on my 11 but I was hesitant to do it. On my 07 I did notice I had to add about a quart between changes I guess this AFM consuption thing must has been the culprit.

Back