• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

07 LTZ stereo upgrade

willie_beamon

Hello all.  I haven't posted in ages but I've lurking around the forums gathering info for a while.  In any event, I finally pulled the trigger on an audio install for my truck.  I'm replacing the door speakers in the front and rear and adding subs. I'll still be using the factory head unit and an Audiocontrol LC6i to connect it to my amps.  It's all getting installed tonight and will be done in the morning.  I went with alpine type r 12s, type r 6.5s components up front, and type r 6.5s in the rear.  Using an Audioque AQ1200 for the subs and an AQ120.4 for the mids and highs and a midgate box from car audio factory.  Hope to have pics posted up tomorrow of the full install as soon as I get it back.  I'll be sure to let you all know it sounds.  For now here's a pic of what's getting installed.
15951375_large.jpg

:eek: very nice choice  >:D

Excellent choice, I have two type Xs in my truck and they rock.  Be sure to break those subs in gradually I tore my first one apart. I custom made a ported midgate box and it sounds great. Also you will get much better sound quality with an aftermarket deck and proper sub outputs. I went that route the first time. Although replacing the factory deck comes with an expense. The modules I had to buy just to have the charms, back up sensors, steering wheel controls etc all work was more cost than the deck itself and left very little room in the dash for the deck.

So I got everything installed and a couple pics to post but I can't right now cuz I'm at work so don't flame me with "this thread is worthless without pics" icon lol. As far as output goes, I like it but honestly thought it would be a bit louder. I may take Don dada's advice and get an aftermarket head unit and see if it makes a difference. Probably not right away cuz of the cost but I'm open to any suggestions for a double din nav unit with Bluetooth streaming for an iPhone 4S. And on another note the installer made it to where my midgate doesn't fold down, not that it's a deal breaker cuz I think I've had it down twice in the 2 years I've had it.

null-2.jpg

null-3.jpg

null-1.jpg

null.jpg

Here's the pics of my amps under the rear seats, the subs, and the bass knob under the dash. Simple setup but it works for now

I use a JVC touch screen double din. Does everything I want it to including blue tooth to my iPhone. I bought the iPhone cord for $60 so I can control the music threw the unit. Be prepared to spend probably an extra $200 on extra accessories for your back up sensors, onstar, and steering wheel controls to work. Gm has all that stuff running thru the factory head unit.

Don dada said:
I use a JVC touch screen double din. Does everything I want it to including blue tooth to my iPhone. I bought the iPhone cord for $60 so I can control the music threw the unit. Be prepared to spend probably an extra $200 on extra accessories for your back up sensors, onstar, and steering wheel controls to work. Gm has all that stuff running thru the factory head unit.
  Do you happen to know what model it is cuz I browsed a couple of units today and saw a JVC KW-NT810HDT.  Seemed pretty nice but needed a lot of harnesses...unless someone knows a way to retain the factory back up camera and sensors

Pac audio rp5-gm31 is the module you want bc it will allow you to retain all the factory options. The module comes with the ability to retain steering wheel controls, park assist, as well as standard radio with the supplied antenna adapter. To retain the oem backup camera you have to de-pin the subwoofer harness and set it up for the camera. If your truck has oem xm you can retain that as well. Your aftermarket ddin will have to have an aux in and the xm info will then be displayed on the dic. If you want it to show up on the ddin you will need the sxv200c siriusxm module.

I personally like the jvc units bc they come rdy to run. Meaning they have everything you need for your iphone. Bluetooth audio streaming, handsfree calling and full ipod control through a standard 30 pin ipod cable. The only jvc accessory you would require is the ipod video cable. It is only necessary if you plan on watching movies that are stored on your phone. Jvc is also compatible with ios, android, and blackberry.

Noogie pretty well nailed it. I didnt have the factory back up camera I installed one after and my deck had a camera in plug. I found playing music via blue tooth without the iPhone cord it wouldn't turn on my amps therefor no bass. Not sure why so I went with the cord. I have the KW AVX 740, I believe it's discontinued now though. 

Thanks for the input people.  I narrowed my choice of aftermarket radio down to the JVC I mentioned earlier and the Alpine ine-w927hd.  Gonna go to a shop or two in my city and play with each to see which would better suit me. Also need to save up for a minute so I can buy it  (y)
Don dada said:
Noogie pretty well nailed it. I didnt have the factory back up camera I installed one after and my deck had a camera in plug. I found playing music via blue tooth without the iPhone cord it wouldn't turn on my amps therefor no bass. Not sure why so I went with the cord.
In case I have to add a new camera, do you remember which one you used?  Also that's a strange issue with the bluetooth streaming not turning on the amps.  I hope there's a H/U or phone update that solves that problem

To be honest I'm not sure what brand the camera is. I went on eBay and bought a cheap one for $20 jut to try it out and it's been going strong since.

Back