• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Best sound quality design with a midgate replacement sub box

Don dada

I currently have a dual 12s midgate replacement box with 2 12" alpine type Xs, I know these subs can produce more thump than I am getting now and would like some ideas from people who have different set ups. The box is ported and built to exact specs but I believe I'm loosing sound by facing forward.  If I reversed the sub and ported them forward into the cab would I gain anything?  I am also running two alpine V power m1000s to power them

There could be a few reasons.  What?s the omh on the subs and amp?  Also do you have any cap they draw from?  I know bass is non directional but facing them to point to the bed wouldn't matter if you already have them ported...just my opinion

The subs are dual 4 ohm and And I'm drawing 2 ohm from each amp and everything is facing forward right now, also I am running 2 x 1 farad capasitors.  The thump is there but it's louder outside the truck and at my neighbors house then up front where I wanna hear it. Just looking for better box design ideas.

have someone open the tailgate while the subs are playing if the bass goes up then you're experiencing bass/noise cancellation. the way to resolve this would be to make sure that the baffle is completely sealed..

Reversing these subs will do little. The issue is likely your box structure, its location and the materials it is built with.

Realize that if your box is not stiff enough it will flex and work like a speaker. And I am guessing most of your box is in the bed of the truck. Thus more "speaker" in the bed of the truck than in the truck.

You have pretty much nothing holding the sound back in the bed of your truck. The plastic panels are not going to keep sound in.

If you had one speaker out of phase you would know it. Especially with sub woofers. the fact that it is loud outside the truck is indication that this is not the issue.

You may actually notice your truck gets louder inside when you open the windows as well. Because you just gave it more air to move...

You must realize that a speaker is nothing more than a very fast piston moving air and with this in mind look at your system and see what is going on. If you can stiffen the box the walls will flex less and release less energy outside your vehicle. If we consider air as a hydrolic fluid the speaker energy is going to go where it is easiest... A closed up cab has to have the air compressed and decompressed to work. The bed of the truck doesn't need this...

So depending on the structure of your box and the materials it was built with you should be able to stiffen the box with internal bracing and maybe a few layers of fiberglass to the outside and really stiffen the box up.

You can see the same thing happen with a car that has a sub in the trunk. Try driving around with the trunk open. The sound outside the car will be much louder than that inside with a larger box. The problem is worse the bigger the box because the dimensions of the box are bigger thus allowing the sides to flex more... Bottle that all up inside your vehicle and it will mostly stay in your vehicle.

Back