• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Subwoofer setup is driving me crazy!! Help!

zalaj

Hey guys,

Hoping someone might have some ideas as far as a subwoofer setup in this thing.

I was running 2 audiobahn amw120h subs 4ohm dvc Rms 400 watts on a soundstream xta880.4
in the hifi in front of midgate box.

Worked fine for just over a month then one day poof... voice coils seized up.

I turned them in for a warranty return and plugged my new set in so same thing after 2 songs.

Now my soundstream is rated at 400 x 2 @ 2ohm rms and the gain is only half up.

So I am thinking something is wrong with my amp... So I bought a planet audio axis 2400 which is 500 x 2 @ 2ohms.

Two more audiobahn subs... runs for about 20 minutes allbeit at 75% volume... poof...

Now the subs minimum box volume is listed at 1cuft per sub and my box is .7 cuft is this the problem should I try another shallow mount of chuck it all and build a midgate box and use some normal speakers?

I do use the midgate about once a month so I really don't want to lose that ability...

Any had a really good experience with a shallow mount in the midgate slim box?

Help!

-C-

re-verify your connections on the subs and make sure you're running correctly in series or parallel, or a combination which sounds like what you need.  Check here and draw it out by hand if you have to.  equipment gets expensive :(

http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Control/fp/SFV/30046/view_page/Subwoofer_Wiring_Ohms_Law

I have a swallow mount Pioneer with a QLogic box under my rear seat pushing 800w. Its not big, booming bass but it adds that little extra punch.

gopherbacon said:
re-verify your connections on the subs and make sure you're running correctly in series or parallel, or a combination which sounds like what you need.  Check here and draw it out by hand if you have to.  equipment gets expensive :(

http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Control/fp/SFV/30046/view_page/Subwoofer_Wiring_Ohms_Law

I have probably checked connections about 10 times now... and I see nothing wrong....

I think these subs are just not up to their specs...

wondering if I would have more luck with another brand of sub... or should I lose the mid gate and build a box?

Back