• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Intermittent rear speakers cant find amp ?

speedysteveabz

Hi guys,

I have searched throughout the forum and am now even more confused than when I started !

2007 LT with 6 speaker system ( I think its non BOSE ) Have intermittent sound from the rear door speakers and also intermittent sound from front passenger door speaker but the dash tweeter works consitently as do the drivers tweeter and door speaker.

If I pull the RAD & AMP fuses from under the hood I get all speakers back for a short time or until I switch off and on again then the rears dissapear ??

From the postings I assumed this must be the rear amp under the centre console having died ( or going ) so pulled out the black plastic tray ( lower ) where the cup holders are and saw a big connector with a lever locking feature, looking back and forward in this hole I cant see any sign of an amp in here ? do I really have to remove the entire centre console ( it looks like a tough job ) to find the amp or is it possible that there is not one in here ?.. if there is an amp buried in here I thought it may just be a bad connector as per the tech buletin ( C1 I think its called ? )

I have a pair of decent infinity reference 6.5" speakers salvaged from my old car and want to swap these into the back doors ( also have a basic 2 channel amp to drive them as I'm under the impression that the head unit does not drive the rears directly ? )

Id apprecaite any direction here as am just getting confused about my next step..

thanks,

SS

If you don't have the Bose speakers you don't have a external amp.

SO if I dont have an external amp what would be causing my intermittent speaker problem ? hope its not the head unit as that sound like an expensive fix, also why would I have a fuse for "amp" in the fuse box if there is no external amp ?

Is there an easy way to tell for sure that my system is or is not "BOSE" rather than pulling the console out ?

thanks guys,

SS

They all have that fuse, check the label on the glove box door and see if you have option UQA UQS

OK checked glovebox, left side label does not list UQA or UQS but does have UQ3, right side label is missing..

I do have the rear entertainment system though and switching it on and off has no effect on bringing back the rear speakers

ss

UQ3 = Speaker System, Performance Enhanced Audio

So no external amp, I guess you could check for loose connection behind the radio but I think its the radio that is causing the problem.

Thanks MS, that sounds bad though if the radio is shot im gonna be an unhappy guy..

I take it theres nothing simple I can do to "fix" the problem and ill be looking for a replacement if the connectors are OK ?

This sucks, I just bought the truck last week and spending a bunch of money on a new radio wasnt on my agenda or in my budget, Is the big connector under the glove box in the center console a candidate for problems ? how exactly do I pull it appart to check ?

Thanks again,

SS

Full codes of my system

UK3      Steering wheel controls, mounted audio, Driver Information Center and cruise controls
UK6      Audio system controls, rear
UQ3      Audio system feature, 8-speaker system
US9      Audio system, AM/FM stereo with MP3 compatible 6-disc in-dash CD changer

So best course of action would be

Pull the radio itself and check connections at back
Check exposed connector under the plastic "bucket" in the centre console which I have already removed
Remove the rear audio system panel and check connections

If this doesnt work then its probably the radio itself and im screwed ?

Is this correct ?

thanks again,

SS

Back