• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Help with JL Audio C5-650 Component Tweeter Location

kansas83

Needing a little help here.  Over Christmas, I removed my bose system (PAC audio bypass) and now have a JL xd 600/6 driving Polk 6501 components in the front and the same polk coax version in the rear doors.  The amp is a transfer over from my car and I just went cheap with the speaker upgrades.

I'd say I'm basically underwhelmed with the Polks and just ordered some JL Audio C5-650 components for the front stage.

My question is this:  Should I just throw the JL tweeters in the factory location (a pillar) or should I put them somewhere else?  My former car had Rainbow tweeters in the window mirror sails and I thought it sounded much better.  

Should I mess with cutting a different spot for the tweeters or will the jump from the Polks to the JLs be enough of an upgrade it won't matter...

Thanks!

Are you running a stock HU or aftermarket?  If stock that would be the first thing I change, if aftermarket you should be good to go and just place them in the stock tweeter locations.  Those C5's sound amazing and I think you will notice a big difference from the Polk

Hey, thanks for the reply.  I'm still running the factory HU.  I'll try the JLs in the factory locations and if it's still not nice enough, I'll look at swapping head units.  Is there one you would recommend?

BTW - Have you heard the JLs in an avalanche or in a different vehicle?  What do you run in yours?

Thanks!

Yep, I just purchased a pioneer AVH-X5500bhs off ebay for $375 shipped.  It came with a parrot mic and I had to get the steering wheel control module.  It pairs with my iPhone 5 in seconds and has everything except Nav but I think you can run an app of your phone if you want to.  Anyway I went to several car audio shops and they all said that swapping the head unit alone would bring the speakers to life and I can vouch for this because I hated my stock bose system before and now I don't mind it at all.  It made such a drastic difference that I'm not in a hurry to swap out my speakers anymore.  In any event that's my 2 cents for what it's worth.  Do your own research and I'd check reviews on Amazon and Crutchfield for whatever unit you decide to go with.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/DVD-Receivers/AVH-X5500BHS

Attachments

• radio.jpg
    radio.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 53
They should work fine there. In my 04 I have my JLs in the doors and there is still plenty of response. As long as they have plenty of power they will give you plenty of sound.

Back