• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Amps for behind rear seat

Neozyne

Hello-

I've been looking into getting 1-2 amps for behind my seat, a monoblock and a multi-channel. What have other people used and were successful with the glass not dinging the amps? My plan is to hopefully get either 2 10's or 2 12's (SI BM's if they ever sell the 12's again) so there wont be room under the seat for amps. I am also more than happy to settle for one loud and good sounding subwoofer.

Also, any true sql enthusiasts that could help me with their experiance on buying the attrend box vs making my own? Obviously easier to just buy the one online but I dont want a one note wonder either. I have 0 experiance with shallow mount subs so this has been an on going research battle to reduce the error behind the trial.

Thanks!  (y)

There is a surprising amount of room behind the seats to mount amps with plenty of clearance to the glass stowage area.
I have 2 Kicker ZR 600.1s and a distribution block mounted to the drivers side rear seat and still have about 1" of airspace between them and the midgate.
I was running 2 Alpine type 10 shallow mounts under the seats in my 05, when I installed the same set up on my 08, it sounded surprisingly different.
I went ahead and built myself a new midgate with 2 Kicker Comp VR 12s and am much happier, although I am considering adding a 3rd amp and putting the Alpines back in with lower power for some midbass rear fill.

Great! I'll take a look at those dimensions and use those to benchmark my choice. What were your thoughts on the Alpines? I have not heard the alpine subs in years but when I did they were in circuit city and didn't impress me much.. technology changes though.  (y)

Neozyne said:
Great! I'll take a look at those dimensions and use those to benchmark my choice. What were your thoughts on the Alpines? I have not heard the alpine subs in years but when I did they were in circuit city and didn't impress me much.. technology changes though.  (y)

I cant speak to the quality of Alpine speakers but I can attest to their amps being great quality (as long as you dont buy the cheapest one). Also the size of the alpine amp is awesome. I run a PDX-5 under my passenger side rear seat and a JL Audio W7 under my driver side rear. This is specifically built for a one sub setup with door speakers though. The Alpine I have is a 75x4 and a 5th channel for a sub at 300w @ 1 ohm. It pushes my W7 great and my JL Audio VR 6.5s perfectly.
Just my 2 cents.

The Alpine 10s were type S models and I liked the way they sounded in my 05, but when i installed them in to 08 (same head unit, amp battery, cables, etc. everything was the same as was in the 05) they sounded like they were overpowered, like they were reaching full excursion.  I checked everything I could think of, turning the gain down, reducing the pre-amp signal strength, re wired in a lower Ohm load, made sure the cone and surround weren't touching anything, all to no effect. Only when I powered them with a 100 watt amp did the odd distortion disappear.  I even thought it could be something with the amp in removing and re installing it for the third time, but I temporarily wired in a friends 500w JL amp, i think it was an XD, the wierd sound was still there, so I pulled them and changed the set up. I hooked them up to a home audio receiver in my garage putting 200 into each one and no funny noise. At this point I was thinking I may have damaged the subs somehow and the higher power was causing distortion, even though they can handle 350 RMS 500 Peak each and I was only putting 600 peak total into the two of them so i took them to a friend who has a kicker DX 1000 powering 2 Solobaric 15s in his Tahoe, we reduced the gain on his amp using a DMM until the output was around 360RMS @ 90% volume on the head unit and hooked them up, they hammered and had no distortion.  I still have no idea what made them sound odd in my Av

here's what I did a while back to my 02'  still maintained the functionality of the midgate.

it was a 1600watt 5 channel digital AMP from Vision
pushed 4ea 6.5 MB Quart 2216 CX (60-120w) component speakers and 4ea 8? RF Punch subs that hit 134dbs

2737820144_medium.jpg

2737820145_medium.jpg

Where did you have the 4 8's? How did it sound? There is a post on here for a box behind the seat with 4 6 inch subs I was looking at.

check out my link in my sig and you will see the build.  4x 8" under the rear seats hit like 2x 10's  I think it was 148 or 168 db  I cannot remember

That is awesome! Surprised these box building companies haven't got more creative to not reduce interference with the rear gate. I don't have the technical know how or the patience to do that though.. but would love to have that in my truck!

(y)

yeah  when my buddy and I were building it the number one thing I told him was to ensure the midgate works.

Back