• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

400W inverter behind cup holder install

joeybrannon

I have a 2000W inverter sitting in the garage that I plan to wire up to a cargo bay outlet for power tools but could also us a couple of lower power in-cab outlets for laptops, etc. I picked up a 400W inverter from Ace Hardware and installed it this afternoon.

The PO had an extra 12V accessory outlet for satellite radio that I re-tasked without having to touch the three in-dash outlets.

After yanking out the cup holders I made quick template for the hole in the bottom of the cup holder and cut it out with a dremel.
2013-02-06140453_zpsa03b66c0.jpg

I drilled two holes on either side of the inverter and either side of the square hole in the cup holder to bolt the inverter to the bottom.
2013-02-06142818_zpsc84bad53.jpg

Those battery terminal posts are too long. They were hitting the a/c vents and were causing the whole assembly to pop back out of the center console.
2013-02-06143950_zps7c4b55fd.jpg

2013-02-06143959_zps853af1b8.jpg

2013-02-06144004_zps99b4f0c8.jpg

Using the dremel I cut down the terminal screws
2013-02-06144711_zpsa794adc0.jpg

The inverter had to be attached to angle down and back to fit in the console. This caused the markings on the face of the inverter to be upside down. It should only drive me crazy for a few days before I just get over it.
2013-02-06151156_zps212a0213.jpg

Looks pretty good till the first time you spill your drink or hit a chuck hole and splash the outlets!

JMHO

Didit

Looks good  (y) the only thing i would worry about is if something gets spilled in the cupholders where that liquid is going  ???

nice work.  I need to do this too.  had a nice one in the old AV and never ran into any issues when the kids needed to plug in their laptops

again...nice work (y) (y)

I hear you about the spilled drinks. This mod would not fly in my wife's car. But one of my pet peves is sticky stuff in the console. It's not uncommon for me to have a water bottle or coffee cup in the cup holder, but everything always has a lid. I also like leaving the little ruber tray in the bottom so no one knows the outlets are there. It should stop the occasional water drop. If I fry it in a spectacular shower of coffee and sparks I'll let you know.

Dang!  I was just thinking about doing something like this in MY truck the other day.  The kids are always wanting to plug some electronic contraption or another into the converter.

Nice Job!  Although my cup holders don't look yours, I at least have an idea how to go about doing it...

Thanks for the pics!

Nice! To protect it even more, you could always use some outlet plugs. You have a little mat to put on top though, right?

14061588.jpg

Back