• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

OBD II Elm 327 Blue Tooth Scanner - works good and it's inexpensive

9mcatdaddy

Greetings all,

Just purchased and hooked up Elm 327 OBD scanner.... Cleared a code but have no idea how else it works and still playing with it.  Had 05 AV pop trouble code for Ox Sensor...  Trying to figure out what tool to use in reader to figure out which of the 4 sensors to replace..

Here is the one I bought:  No affiliation with seller -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160930883768&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

Got it on eBay for $12.95 but came with no Instructions...

Anyone else using one of these that figured it out?

Thanks!

Did you happen to write down what the code was before you cleared it.

I got one of these a couple of months ago when my sons trail blazer and my daughters Jeep liberty started having issues.  It is a neat little tool, but you sometimes have to jump through hoops to get it connected through bluetooth on the phone.  Loaded the free Torque App on the android and was able to see a lot of information.  Have successfully connected it to my sons 2002 Trailblazer, my daughters 2004 Jeep Liberty, my wifes 2011 Equinox and my 2008 Avalanche just to see what I could see.  The app has a lot of different things it can display and you are right that there is not a lot if instructions provided.  But there are some youtube vidoes showing the app in use and several websites with information.  Once the phone is connected to the scanner, the app can easily read codes and even connect to the internet and give details on the code.  Resetting the CPU is pretty easy as well.  One tip I can give is to make sure that the GPS on the phone is enabled before starting the Torque app. It is well worth the money and using it once to read a code can save you from having to pay a shop.

Interesting little gadget for a couple of bucks. Might pick one up just to play with it.

For 12 bucks go for it. (y)

They're using a bluetooth dongle as an interface.  Probably doesn't have to be one particular brand to work with the Torque software.

Several reasonably coherent videos on YouTube.  Seems like more of a performance monitor.  Probably isn't going to be able to do anything for you in the way of diagnosing or clearing ABS codes; however, I did stumble upon something that was really interesting regarding GPS mapping.  Here's a link:

Torque Review

Nick

Nick@Night, you have to have a GM module to make it really work. (y)

MS03 2500 said:
For 12 bucks go for it. (y)
Just ordered it after watching the Youtube video. I had a few eBay bucks so it cost me $11. I've wasted more than that in certain bars in my single years. >:D

I gotta stay off the forums. Between the Avy sites and the Harley sites, I've spent a ton of money over the last five years just on mods. :laugh: At least the Avy(s) are cheaper to mod.  (y)

Back