• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Has anyone installed the Alpine 8 inch,Z928??

I recently had the Alpine unit installed in my 2012.  Had to also purchase the KTX-GM8 dash kit to replace the factory dash kit as the Alpine unit is a bit too wide for the factory dash kit.  Also had Alpine SPR-13S component speakers installed in the front doors and SPR-17C coaxials in the back doors.  Factory sub was removed/replaced with a Kicker 6.5" CVT-652.  Amps are a Focal Solid 4 amp for the door speakers and a Kicker ZX300.1 amp for the sub.  If I hadn't had the Bose system in the vehicle to start with, I'd have tackled the installation myself but didn't want to fight figuring out which wires to use, which not to use, etc. so I let a local shop do the install.  I've been very please with the setup thus far. 

Good to know someone has done it,thanks....

One question please,did they have to replace the factory back-up camera?

I ask because the local shop said that they may have to...which of course along with the kit,and various harnesses,adds up.

i have this exact same question.  Additionally do they have to get something else to get onstar / chime functionality?  I have heard that the HU controls that piece on other years, not sure if that applies to the 2012/2013's

Sorry I was so long in responding...yes, they were able to use the factory backup camera.  I don't know what they had to do to get it to work but I do know it wasn't just a "plug and play" solution.  Wish I had more information for you.

Pretty simple to retain factory backup cam

http://www.pac-audio.com/PACProductData/OS-4/1_Instructions/os4_instructions_102910.pdf

I'm also looking for a good new navigation unit.  So far this one and the Kenwood looks good, although there are many complaints about the boot up time on the Kenwood.

Pictures would be awesome..
(y)

geohog82 said:
Sorry I was so long in responding...yes, they were able to use the factory backup camera.  I don't know what they had to do to get it to work but I do know it wasn't just a "plug and play" solution.  Wish I had more information for you.

JohnnieMo said:
I'm also looking for a good new navigation unit.  So far this one and the Kenwood looks good, although there are many complaints about the boot up time on the Kenwood.

Pretty sure jvc nav boot time is 4 seconds, and fyi jvc makes kenwwod. Alpine is suppose to have the fastest start time

My biggest concern for start time is the backup camera. So long as it works in under 10 seconds I could live with it.

My parrot bluetooth is not working very well and the factory nav is an abortion. I'm thinking maybe I can kill two birds with one stone.

I didnt know jvc builds kenwood!

Across the board people complain about firmware issues. Clarion also has a killer new unit but it also has software problems.

I had the unit installed a few months ago,and could not be happier with it.

The install with the Perfect-Fit kit is stunning....the wood grain was finally released,and it now looks factory.

Performance is great,the only nit-pick being that it lags a little on start up.

Nice to have 8 inches up in the dash....

16kywj9.jpg

2q0m04p.jpg

wrgswh.jpg

2eaqa38.jpg

What was your total cost? Just curious. Also, how are the factory features retained? Is there anything that becomes non-functioning? Also, this eliminates the need for anything additional to allow Android phone use, correct? Is the Nav use disabled during movement?

Anyone seen the new Alpine X009? (See pic below)

It's a 9" screen made specifically for 07+ Avy,Tahoe, ect...

Alpine said its a simple plug and play and will allow the owner to retain factory options on the vehicle. Also I guess it connects to the vehicles CPU to allow the system to monitor the truck.

It comes with the harness kit because the screen is so big they had to move the buttons to the sides.

I've been looking everywhere by me but cant find them. Anyone gone hands on with this unit yet?

I just keep drooling over the pictures of it.  :6:

Attachments

• alpine x009.jpg
    alpine x009.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 82
  • alpine x0092.jpg
    alpine x0092.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 82
Explorer2191 said:
Oh ya ...  :offtopic: ... I know... Sorry
I was thinking it too.....  I have been watching for one of these to get installed and get some time on it.  They were supposed to announce pricing in June.  I expect you'll be seeing them shortly.  I suspect with the kit they will be ALL of $1600.

JohnnieMo said:
I was thinking it too.....  I have been watching for one of these to get installed and get some time on it.  They were supposed to announce pricing in June.  I expect you'll be seeing them shortly.  I suspect with the kit they will be ALL of $1600.

I just checked the Alpine website and they have all the info up now.

At the bottom it has a price... $3000.00  :eek:

Holy #$%@ that's ridiculous. 

montoya32 said:
What was your total cost? Just curious. Also, how are the factory features retained? Is there anything that becomes non-functioning? Also, this eliminates the need for anything additional to allow Android phone use, correct? Is the Nav use disabled during movement?

I believe the unit itself was 1300....and it was all part of an overall package.New wiring,speakers,amps,subs...= small fortune.

Everything works,although they had to a work-around for my On-Star phone.

During movement the NAV works....movies also,not that I would...

Back