• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

switchable programmer

fgkell

I'm naturally confused as to which programmer is "best" as there seems to be plenty of differing opinions on here. Seems many, if not most recommend custom tunes over programmers or chips. What I really would like is something with a tune I can optimize for towing and another for fuel economy and then one for pure performance. I like the idea of being able to customize and tweak a bit, but really want something I can switch fairly quick and easy whenever my A.D.D. gets the better of me. Suggestions please? :wave:

I have the edge HT its nice, I notice performance gain and towing gain but as far as economy I have yet to see an increase. 

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking the Hypertech was limited in some ways. I want a little bit of flexibility to customize and particularly curious about adjusting or disabling ATM. Am I mistaken with regard to the HT? It is a well known name that's been around forever.

I am able to change tire size, governor, shift point, shift pressure and so forth. It does have 5 setting extreme, towing, 87 octane, economy, and stock with options.

I have the Super Chips tuner. Pretty much same as any other programmer. I do like the adjustments for shift points, firmness etc as well as optional power or towing tunes. A true tune is thebest way to go as it is totaly customized to your truck and habits to gain the most where you want it. It's a little pricey and not all easy as just pluggin in the unit and going thru the menu. If it was more readily availalbe here I would go that route. Lot's of info on it here, just gotta take the time and read all the posts.

Most tuners are set it and forget it. My Hypertech really has only 87 and 93 octane tunes. I felt the 87 the best for me. The Diablo has more available settings but are you really going to adjust it that much?

Avalon

no, not really going to adjust it much...just hoping for some flexibility to play with

in reality, I'll likely get bored with playing and decide what settings I like and leave it alone. I would mostly like to change it for towing.

What I like about custom tune is just that tuned to your preference. I have a HP Tune done by a member on here SUPERWAGON.
I do have the Premium Gas tune, with shift RPM?s points, and firmness set for me, the AVY runs like stock with firmer shifts and when I step on the load pedal it?s like a small shot of Nitrous.
When I have more upgrades done I will have the abuse and torque management turned off. 
I do have the tow package with the tow mode which the tune does not affect the factory setting on the tow mode works for me.
The MPG (did not buy my AVY for) is better if I keep off the load pedal.
Just My .02

got the Hypertech and installed with the premium option and 100% shift firmness

I'm a little surprised how subtle the changes are. I didn't expect it to break my neck, but I thought the shift firmness would be more significant. I do notice a slight difference in passing power but very very slight.

this is with a 3" cat back FM system and CAI

fgkell said:

I'm a little surprised how subtle the changes are. I didn't expect it to break my neck, but I thought the shift firmness would be more significant. I do notice a slight difference in passing power but very very slight.

Shift pressure is one thing. Did you shut off the torque management or does that not offer that feature?

fgkell said:

You need to increase your shift points to around 6000 rpm  :drive:

Back