• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Trans Cooler Question

ARMYtango

Hey all,

I have been spending some time looking through the forum in regards to whether or not I should go out and purchase a transmission cooler or not.

A majority of the questions had to do with hauling a large trailer, such as a TT, and I have determined that most people suggested getting a trans cooler...while others said it wasn't needed.

Just to be safe, rather than sorry, I am deciding to go ahead and install one anyway, but it leads me to a couple of questions:

After looking around the interwebs for a trans cooler, I have come across quite a few in many different price ranges, and sizes...what do you all suggest I should try and get?  I would like to keep it fairly inexpensive as I can.

Also, I will be hauling a 6X12 enclosed trailer to haul my lawn equipment in.  The trailer states a GVWR of just under 3000lbs...so my question is this...how soon would I need to get a cooler?

If you don't already know, I drive an '04 Z66 with the 3.73 gears, and I believe that I read somewhere that this truck could handle a trailer like this, without a problem, without the cooler...which makes me think I wouldn't need to be in a big hurry to get one.  Is this true?

Like I said, I DO plan on getting one, but how quickly, and what size/brand is what I would like to know.

Thank you all in advance!

Oh yeah..one more thing...
I also noticed that people suggested getting a cluster with the trans temp gauge...instead of getting a new cluster, I was thinking of getting an A-pillar triple gauge and putting the trans temp gauge in there...would that be possible?

Here is my 2 cents - With a trailer that light, you should be fine without an additional transmission cooler. I have pulled a 28' TT and a 3 horse trailer with my 02 Avalanche. Both of them weighed about 7000 lbs loaded.  I did not put an auxiliary transmission cooler on until I had owned the Av for about 5 yrs and I had towed both trailers over 20k miles at that point. I did install a new gauge cluster with the transmission temp gauge before I ever towed anything so I could monitor the transmission temp to see if an aux cooler was needed. My transmission temp only got above 220 a few times while I was towing in the mountains so I didn't see the need for an additional cooler. So my advise, is put in a trans temp gauge and monitor the temp. If the temp gets above 210 of a regular basis, you probably need to install an transmission cooler.

As far as the transmission temp gauge goes, that is your choice. I just choose to put in the stock cluster with the trans gauge on it because it was plug and play and I wanted to keep the truck looking stock inside. If you want to mess around with wiring up a gauge - go for it. As far as the size of a cooler if you put one on, the bigger, the better  :cool:

02 Z71 said:
Here is my 2 cents - With a trailer that light, you should be fine without an additional transmission cooler. I have pulled a 28' TT and a 3 horse trailer with my 02 Avalanche. Both of them weighed about 7000 lbs loaded.  I did not put an auxiliary transmission cooler on until I had owned the Av for about 5 yrs and I had towed both trailers over 20k miles at that point. I did install a new gauge cluster with the transmission temp gauge before I ever towed anything so I could monitor the transmission temp to see if an aux cooler was needed. My transmission temp only got above 220 a few times while I was towing in the mountains so I didn't see the need for an additional cooler. So my advise, is put in a trans temp gauge and monitor the temp. If the temp gets above 210 of a regular basis, you probably need to install an transmission cooler.

As far as the transmission temp gauge goes, that is your choice. I just choose to put in the stock cluster with the trans gauge on it because it was plug and play and I wanted to keep the truck looking stock inside. If you want to mess around with wiring up a gauge - go for it. As far as the size of a cooler if you put one on, the bigger, the better  :cool:

Hmmm...very good points...Thank you.

So I guess I will go ahead and look for a temp gauge first, and see how it is running...then go from there.
That would be the most inexpensive way to go right now, too.

Thanks again!  :love:

I put a stock GM trans cooler in about three years ago. I figure it was cheap insurance. So far (knocking on wood) I haven't had any issues with the transmission. The truck is a 6 years old and I've got 125K on the odometer.

Basically, from what I've read here and in other places the trans cooler just makes sure your fluid doesn't break down as fast. I've also replaced my fluid about every year, give or take a few months.

I only tow a 3000# tent trailer, but do have some pretty massive climbs in 100-degree weather, especially going from the desert up into the Sierra Nevadas.

PerfectReign said:
do have some pretty massive climbs in 100-degree weather, especially going from the desert up into the Sierra Nevadas.
This is a huge factor in how much you need an aux-cooler. 100+ degrees takes away a lot of cooling capacity and mountains cause heat buildup.

Another factor is how far you tow.
With a travel trailer people often tow 100s of miles with only short breaks (which can cause more heat buildup then no breaks).
Towing lawn equipment usually only involves towing 10-20 miles.
Longer time at high temps means more chance of damage.

With a fairly light trailer like that you technically don't need a TOC. But, like Medico says, heat is what kills a tranny. Do a stacked plate TOC that has a low-temp bypass built in. That way the tranny fluid doesn't flow through the cooler until it heats up and the viscosity therefore goes down. Get either a Tru-Cool unit (built by Long Mfg) or a B&M Supercooler; I've got a Tru-Cool.

Thanks for the tips, everyone.
I may go ahead and get the entire set up, just to be safe, but I will start with the temp gauge first and work my way up from there.
Like Wazbro said...the lawn equipment would only be hauled 20-30 miles at a time...but there may come a time I may need to haul the trailer to Florida like I have had to once before.
Thanks again everyone!

These trans are meant to take temps up to 230 no problem. I see temps of 200 pulling the boat but I have a 2500 with an external cooler from the factory.

Avalon

Agree you don't really need a tranny cooler, but would recommend to add one at your leisure, you never know when your gonna tow something heavier.

Army- Just remember your current set up has the trans line going through your radiator to act as a cooler. So do not get freaked if you put a temp gauge in and see 200 degree temps.

I routinely see 180 degree temps, and I have a 180 stat.

Avalon

avalonandl said:
Army- Just remember your current set up has the trans line going through your radiator to act as a cooler. So do not get freaked if you put a temp gauge in and see 200 degree temps.

I routinely see 180 degree temps, and I have a 180 stat.

Avalon

Thanks for the tip!

I will keep that in mind!

Just cheap insurance. Plan on living where your stationed when you get out? Do you PCS ever few years like Marines do? You might not need one now but if you end up needing one for a cross country or state to state move, youll kick yourself for not having one. Spend a few hundred bucks to save you a few thousand down the road!

we_fly_high said:
Just cheap insurance. Plan on living where your stationed when you get out? Do you PCS ever few years like Marines do? You might not need one now but if you end up needing one for a cross country or state to state move, youll kick yourself for not having one. Spend a few hundred bucks to save you a few thousand down the road!

No moving for a long while!

I am currently in the Reserves, so I get to stay where I am at, but I do haul a 6x12 enclosed trailer loaded with lawn equipment, 3-4 days per week, so that is why I was wondering if I needed to right away or not.

I do plan on getting one eventually, but I am getting the temp gauge to see if it will be something that can wait a little bit so I can get the extra cash for it.

Back