• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Which programmer is the best?

This should open up a big can of worms... as every one has their own opinions and preferences.
I went with an edge evolution cs for 2 reasons, the price was great ( got it second hand), but most important to me was the custom dash pod to mount it to the dash.

I originally used it in economy mode and noticed firmer shifts and maybe a slight increase in mileage.
When I put it to performance mode I wasn't sure if I could feel any huge difference until I turned it back to stock mode (for a dealership visit)
On my way home from the dealer I tried to pass a transport on the highway and then realized how much of a difference it really does make! Needless to say I immediately switched it back!!!!

Below is a picture of the dash pod with the programmer installed.
(I have since removed the programmer and placed my GPS in that location... I really miss all the info provided by the programmer, but it was too bright at night on country roads)

Attachments

• edge_dash_pod_28302.jpg
    edge_dash_pod_28302.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 299
  • dash pod gps.JPG
    dash pod gps.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 299
I have the superchips and im not really using it for saving gas mileage so i have it tuned for the performance tune where u gotta use 91 octane or higher! It def has some get up and go now but i dont know there seems 2 be something wrong.. it wants 2 jump gears it feels like when i get on it alil fast it like shifts 2 time real quick??

What are your goals?

Remember programmers can really only tweak things at WOT due to Emission laws..

so I bet the difference between various models is minimal and all comes back to options, features.. kinda like SAMSUNG vs APPLE

For true control you need some sort of LAPTOP software and a PHD in engine control managment theory..

I'm putting a 285/70-17 to 305/70-17's on my truck and i'd like to get better gas mileage or at least keep what I'm getting now. And I'd like to have a little more power and torque without having to regear it.

Don't waste your money on a programmer.  If you want to do it right, do a proper software based tuning program.  The Gen-III and IV SBC's have pretty much the best support for this of any motors ever made.  You can choose from:
EFI Live
LS1 Edit
HP Tuners

I personally use HP Tuners.  These hand held deals are a joke and end up costing as much as it would to do it the right way.  Any of these programs can do way more than these hand held or mounted tuners could ever dream of doing.  There are a lot of support forums and shared, dyno proven, software tunes out there as well.

Back