• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Four HD Cameras installed in Avalanche

Dluvr22

PM 2014
PM 2013
Goal: To install cameras in my beloved Avalanche to serve multiple purposes

I know some of my reasons may seem way out there but if we don't push the envelope who will?
This project will be done in multiple phases as some of my plans are dependant on other projects that I have planned for the Avy.

Reasons:
1 To install a rear view camera for back up purposes.
2 To install side view cameras to eliminate blind spots and increase field of vision
3 To install a front view camera............ for the cool factor primarily.
4 To record videos from the cameras for insurance purposes in the event of an accident.
5 To record videos from the cameras in the event of a robbery or attempted robbery when vehicle is parked.
6 To record driving events for my own protection if I get pulled over for something mundane as speeding especially if I am not.
7 To be able to remotely view video from the car when I am away from it

Background:
Some of you may ask why the necessity of HD cameras versus the cheap rear view cameras that are easily available nowadays.
To answer that you'd need to know more about my current A/V system that is currently still evolving and will continue to do so.
I have installed a computer in my truck and currently have a 12.1 in touchscreen monitor with DVI, VGA, HDMI and RCA inputs in my dash.
I have tried the cheap CMOS rear view cameras and to say the least the picture quality is appalling on a screen of this size and it is especially bad at night  Then to add to the grief I hate the fish eyed view view you get with extremely wide angle lenses

After going through 3 CMOS rear view cameras and 1 for the front I realized that they were a complete waste of my time.
I next considered a CCD cameras and researched them. However the exorbitant prices plus the blurred lines between sellers claiming their CMOS camedras were CCD versions I decided I did not want to get burned by buying 4 or 5 CMOS cameras from someone who claimed they were in fact CCD.

Seeing as how I have a computer with loads of hard drive space the the ability to add lots more via USB, I considered the option of USB webcams versus getting RCA to USB adapters to get videos to the computer hard drive or purchase a small 4CH DVR for the RCA cameras
All the extra hardware needed to connect 4 RCA cameras versus the webcam based system which already had the basics instaqlled in the form of the CPU in the car caused me to lean to that end.

Hardware:

CPU with 320 GB hard drive...........hard drive soon to be upgraded
Logitech C920 HD Webcam (1)
Microsoft Lifecam Studio (3)

Front Camera Install

The Logitech webcam was the first to get installed. I had to choose between mounting it in the front grill somewhere or in the front windshield.
After a lot of thought I opted with mounting it in the windshield as mounting a forward facing camera in the front grill where it could see in front of the car will only expose it to the elements (rocks, debris and lots of dust which would mean constant cleaning).

I therefore decided to fabricate a mount onto the GM mirror mount

For those who are familiar with the Logitech C90, This is a 15 MP HD webcam with dual microphones.
It can also record 1080P videos.
I won't be using the microphones on for this install though for now.
I must say I was blown away when I saw the video quality of this thing while drive testing a few days ago.
I blew my mind. Never again will I even consider adding a CMOS camera to any of my future installs.

More images of the rear view mirror mounted camera.

Part pf this project also includes embedding data from the gps receiver and the obd port to the video so I can get speed, heading, date and time stamp, longitude and latitude as well as whatever data I deem necessary.
Speed and data and time stamp are very necessary in the event I need to use the video as proof if I get pulled over and the police officer claims I am speeding ( especially if I am not going as fast as he says ) and for insurance purposes in the event of an unlikely accident.

Stand by for a youtube video as soon as I can upload it from my Avy to YouTube.
Since I do have a dedicated hot spot in the car, I'll be doing a video on the way home to get some dusk and nighttime videos as well.

eventually I also want to stream real time of the internet so I can view the videos from anywhere via my iPhone or any internet connected device.
That is stage 3 or Stage 4 ........... I need to get the installation done and everything working tin the car first.

This sounds like the beginnings of a great project. The footprints of the cameras are a bit large. I tried doing this a few years back and the pic quality just wasn't there. I'd luv to see your video of this going down the road.

I recently purchased a dual cam that makes killer 3d movies and can be mounted in many different ways.

maybe something like this for a front or rear set up?

http://www.rei.com/pix/common/pixel.gif

I was amazed at the affordability of these systems. and the low light pick is excellent

Litepanel Micro
LaCie Rugged 500GB
PRO 88W/T Wireless MicroPhone Transmitter
PRO 88W/R Wireless MicroPhone Reciever
Cannon Vixia HF R300

For the Side View cameras, I first had to make the LifeCam waterproof otherwise the first rainstorm would put an end to my project.
to do this,I purchased some Plasti-Dip spray paint and applied a few thick coats over the camera.
This will also serve to hide those bright blue power leds which will only distract me while driving as well as draw attention to themselves when the truck is parked outside at night with the cameras recording......................

Camera Plasti-Dipped

Side Mirrors removed from truck

Modifying Mirrors to mount camera and run wiring through the doors

Side view cameras finally mounted and wired into doors.
I chose this location as it afforded me a view of the mirror even if the cameras were off.
Also the camera is not sticking up and out of the lines for the truck and lastly that location offered the most aerodynamics as the design of the mirror mount shielded to some extent the air circulating around the mirror

I know some may think it is still too large but the truth is people barely notice it where it is mounted at this time.
That makes for a nice install in my book.
Now to go out for my drive home and see if I can get some videos.

I do think they look a bit on the large side but it a positive trade off with the pic quality. How are you powering these? If you go off your turn signal then your picture will come an go. I would suggest a the use of a relay for a steady power source.

very cool mods

Redleg said:
I do think they look a bit on the large side but it a positive trade off with the pic quality. How are you powering these? If you go off your turn signal then your picture will come an go. I would suggest a the use of a relay for a steady power source.

They are getting power directly form the USB bus on the computer.  

Herre are some sample videos.

My morning commute

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/710/wc8nunzsbmkdcicnaojblq.mp4

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/4527/6f1nhbrwiuduqahcehnfrv.mp4

Oh oh. I Think I should put a stop to this project now. I count 3 moving violations in the second video. At one point I was doing double the speed limit -  20 miles in a 10MPH zone and failure to stop at a stop sign twice.  Sorry Mr. Officer . I was running late for work and I bet his response would be "Well you're really gonna be late now." Then there is the fool who took the exit and at the last minute changed his mind.

On a brighter note, I think being able to review my driving in hindsight may also help me improve it.
I know for sure that when I get to that area again, I'll remember the camera is recording and stop at the stop signs as well as watch the speed limit

Dluvr22 said:
On a brighter note, I think being able to review my driving in hindsight may also help me improve it.
I know for sure that when I get to that area again, I'll remember the camera is recording and stop at the stop signs as well as watch the speed limit

No need to come up with excuses to validate your project....lol  It looks and works great.

I record my drives via an app on my cell phone and my windshield mount....and trust me, it doesn't improve my driving...lol

Very cool!
I have a very small HQ cmos cam installed in my front bumper and it's always on when driving. At the back i have two cams, one in my bezel (low quality) and one at my hitch receiver.
When backing up, my front cam will automatically switch to my one of my rear cams(normally bezel cam). I can switch manually while driving between all three cams. I'm still looking for a HQ cmos or ccd cam what is small enough to be mount inside the side view mirrors. So I can see curbs etc. So much ideas so less money :cry:

Very cool videos. What about the hard drive? Does it auto erase after it is full?

Vic

I like the field of view and minimal distortion.. kudos  (y)

You can see the dash reflection in the first vid quite well. maybe a small shield that mates against the windshield would help.

Dluvr22 said:
Herre are some sample videos.

My morning commute

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/710/wc8nunzsbmkdcicnaojblq.mp4

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/4527/6f1nhbrwiuduqahcehnfrv.mp4

The video was exceptional! 

One question - why'd you stop at that bridge thing with the red and green lights?

Back