• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Engine swap - 5.3 for a 6.0 or 6.2?

GNTurbo

After driving my '07 for a while now with a cold air intake and Borla cat-back, I'm realizing that there is just no replacement for displacement. The big question is - do I go with a 6.0 or a 6.2? What block years/model # have worked the best for you guys and what are the pros/cons of each. I have access to a local corvette specialty shop, so PCM issues and access to any LS2 blocks aren't an issue. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Well I have to ask do you tow at all.

Towing is minimal - the occasional wood chipper or a trailer with 2 motorcycles on it.

If ya want a stock block swap  6.0 is probably the easiest, but you may want to look into a 408 engine. I would stick with a iron block engine

I currently have the LC9 aluminum block engine and I'm looking to find out what engine other guys have swapped in(6.0 or 6.2) and any inherent problems/difficulties.

I just recently bought an 07 LTZ with the rare 6.0 Litre. Also has the L70 tranny.

Night and Day compared to the 5.3 L for towing. Its also quicker without towing, but the 6.0 just doesnt seem to be laboring going up steep hills like the 5.3 did.

I wouldnt want to go bigger than the 6.0 for gas bill reasons, but the 1/2 to 1 MPG less efficiency is well worth not worrying about blowing a $3000 engine.

Op, any news on your engine swap? I am kind of curious about this as well... the 5.3L only has so much... I also have a good LS engine shop in my area that can do the work, although I am sure it will cost me an arm and a leg; car-part.com has some 6.2L from Yukon or Escalades for as low as 3000$

If I upgrade a 5.3l to a 6.0l should I get the 6.0l tranny with it or is the 5.3l good enough?

I have the 6.0L cast iron block LQ4, with the 4L80e transmission and 4.10 gear ratios front and rear.  The acceleration, top speed, and towing performance have all been very satisfactory bone stock, with no tunes, chips, CAI's, or exhaust modifications.  The critical final gear... the tire size, where the rubber meets the road... is bone stock as well.

The LQ4 was built without any of the displacement on demand stuff that I hear folks complain about.  My towing experience with this drivetrain has been with trailer weights as high as 7,500 lbs at elevations as high as 7,500 feet. However, towing is not as frequent as simply running loaded with the back full of about 600-700 lbs of gear.

The 4.10 gears take full advantage of the 4 speed heavy duty 4L80e, in that each gear in the transmission is more fully utilized when accelerating from a stop, when passing mid speed, and when going up hill.  This vehicle easily and comfortablly cruises at 30 over.  (You do the math, and observe that I did not say that "I drive" the vehicle at that speed).

If I had a 5.3 and was considering doing a swap, I guess I would be curious about the 6.2 only because it sounds slightly larger... but if it has any engine computer to chassis network integration issues, DOD programming that kicks in when you least want or expect it, or thinner cylinder walls in an aluminum block, then I would question if that mere 2 tenths of a liter is worth the trouble.  Know that the 6.0L LQ4 is a very capable, durable, proven, and popular block in 3/4, 1 ton, and even box trucks in the Isuzu line, so availability and access to parts and programs will likely endure for some time to come, just like the ubiquitous small block Chevy 350 has for the last few decades.

Back