• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

HppIII programed to use 93 octane...

gregas

SM 2003
Is it worth it to set the HPPIII to use 93 octane? Any pluses or minuses? If so does anyone have settings for 93 octane...... I am using 87 octane settings and would like to know if performance will improve with 93 octane?

Thanks Men

I just installed an HPP3 program on my truck. All of the posts I have seen, and all other owners that I have talked to, concluded that the 93 octane program didn't provide enough improvement to justify the extra fuel cost. Somewhere someone posted the HP and torque gains claimed by Hypertech for the 87 and 93 octane programs. For the 03 trucks, the 87 and 93 octane provided the same HP improvement, and only added a couple of lb-ft of torque going from the 87 to 93 octane program. The 02 truck numbers were similar, although there was a slightly larger difference between the two programs for 02 vs. 03 model years. Overall the numbers seem to back up everyone's conclusions that there isn't enough difference to be worth the extra cost at the pump.

I used the 93 octane tune during a 1000+ mile road trip last Summer. There was a noticeable difference in power, but being the cheap SOB I am, went back to the 87 octane to avoid the extra 25 cents a gallon premium costs around these parts.

The 93 oct. is required by the HPP III to compensate for the bumped up timing. To answer your question though... You will see improvement using the 93 oct. settings with 93 oct fuel. The amount of those gains are pure speculation by anyone who has not run their AV on a chassis dyno. My advice, run the 93 settings for 2 or 3 tank fulls of 93, if YOU think its worth it keep using it, if you think there's no difference (Seat of the pants dyno ;) ) go back to 87 tuning.

Back