• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

93 octain ??????

baddawgxl

SM 2003
just a question. yesterday i stopped for fuel they had no regular(87) (89). so i put in a full tank of {93)didnt want to drive 50 miles to get (87) . i was on fumes. i noticed my exhaust note is much quieter and it seems sluggish is this normal for the 5.3 ? ive allready drove 350 miles sence and will fill up with (87) .

If you don't have any significant performance mods the 93 is a waste - I also suspect that your PCM had a mild coronary and tried to reset all of its tables for the frst 50 miles or so.

11H will join in shortly on this issue ;D

Also, as TexAVfan pointed out some months ago...
TexAVfan said:
I have used both 87 and 89 octane seems either is good - do not use higher as it will cause predetenation (spark knock or clatter on acceleration) because of the higher cylinder temp. If you want to use higher octane you need a programmer and 180 degree thermostat to cool down cyl, temp.

:)thanks guys for the info thats what i thought filled up with 87 this mornning back to normal . gas mileage was the same 18.4 again thanks for the come back

I want 18.4!!!! :cautious:

I average about 16.... :rolleyes:

I seem to do a little better on the 89.... but because gas is a little higher here I stick with 87.

Hoping that mobil1 and new plugs and wires will help a little. ;)

I'm really not too concerned about the milage... am always willing to accept a little improvement ;D

Back