• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Aspirator INDOOR AMBIENT TEMP SENSOR

nathan_m

Anyone on here replaced the aspirator in their Avalanche with side curtain airbags?  Mine recently has started to constantly buzz.  Is there a specific way to do this to avoid that airbag going off?

IMG.jpg

#PIT3511D: Buzz Or Hum Noise From Headliner Above Driver - (Jun 1, 2011)
Subject: Buzz or Hum Noise From Headliner Above Driver

Models: 2002-2011 Cadillac Escalade, EXT, ESV

2000-2011 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe

2003-2011 Chevrolet Silverado, Silverado Classic

2003-2011 GMC Sierra, Sierra Classic

2000-2011 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali, Yukon Denali XL With RPO CJ2 or C68

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This PI was superseded to update model years. Please discard PIT3511C.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Customers may comment that they have a buzz/vibration/hum noise emanating from the headliner in an area that looks like a microphone or a small speaker.

Recommendation/Instructions:

The plastic escutcheon grill, which is round and located just above the driver, is the inside air temperature sensor. The sensor is used in conjunction with the automatic HVAC. On occasions, this sensor has been known to make a buzz/vibration/hum sound. The sensor uses a small fan to pull air over the sensor. This noise may be intermittent.

Although it may not be possible to alleviate all of the noise, Engineering has found that if the sensor is installed incorrectly that it may bind and cause the fan to make noise. Remove the sensor and while doing so check for any binding. Reinstall the sensor and retest. If the noise is still present, the sensor itself may be noisy and require replacement.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

That is called the interior ambient temperature sensor

[shadow=red,left]Anytime I have worked around an SIR system I disconnect the fuse undo the negative battery posts and wait 15 minutes.  
Not sure with your scenario, but better safe then getting punched.

http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,44824.0.html

your shouldnt have to do anything with the air bag. you dont need to disconnect it at all. tomorrow at work ill post up the GM procedure for it. I work at a chevy dealer so i can get you anything gm related you can think of.

I believe you are wrong. Just my opinion. I think they are saying side air bag that drop down. it's a 2012

1.  Remove the left windshield garnish molding. Refer to Windshield Pillar Garnish Molding Replacement .

2.  Remove the left center pillar assist handle. Refer to Roof Rail Rear Assist Handle Replacement .

3.  Remove the center pillar garnish molding. Refer to Center Pillar Upper Garnish Molding Replacement .

4.  Remove the left sunshade. Refer to Sunshade Replacement .

5.  Gently pull down the headliner.

6.  Disconnect the electrical connector from the inside air temperature sensor.

7.  Partially remove the inside air temperature sensor from the headliner.

8.  Remove the sensor grille from the inside air temperature sensor.

9.  Remove the inside air temperature sensor from the headliner.

Installation Procedure

1.  Install the new sensor grille to the headliner.

2.  Install the inside air temperature sensor to the headliner and sensor grille.

3.  Connect the electrical connector to the inside air temperature sensor.

4.  Install the left sunshade. Refer to Sunshade Replacement .

5.  Install the left center pillar garnish molding. Refer to Center Pillar Upper Garnish Molding Replacement .

6.  Install the left center assist handle. Refer to Roof Rail Rear Assist Handle Replacement .

7.  Install the left windshield garnish molding. Refer to Windshield Pillar Garnish Molding Replacement .

I have this same issue. No hot air, just cold.

I installed some wiring to the roof light bar, and it's near the sensor.
Looks like it maybe affected the sensor.
Time to dissect the problem.
Set to 85 degrees or greater as a test before replacing. This overrides any temperature sensors.

Back