• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Has anyone installed a transmission cooler in a 2008 z71?Does it need one?

Streets

SM 2013
PM 2012
SM 2011
SM 2010
I have tried to find someone who had installed a transmission cooler in a 2007-12 with no luck.I do tow a 6200lb boat(only about 5 miles but in the hills of the Ozarks)My transmission can get as hot as 225 degrees when its hot outside.I do see a small cooler on the left side of the condenser,3x15 inches or so,is this enough? I called the dealership and they said that the temperature  wasn't  out of range and I should be fine.
Should I put a heavy duty cooler on?Has anyone done this who has a 2007-2012?
Thanks

I know my 10 Z71 has the towing package tyranny cooler built in brake control just not sure how big the cooler is.

2010 had a better tow package.2008 did not include a break controller.

That small cooler is the PS cooler- trace the lines. If you are hitting 225 tranny temp then a cooler is in order. It should be mounted in the center of the grille in front of the AC condensor. Any good tranny shop can install one for not much $, maybe $ 300.

Avalon

Thanks Avalon,I think I need one too.I was checking to see if someone here had put one on,what they used and how much time it took to install.I may just go ahead and tackle it anyway.

With the heat we have had this summer,you had better have a transmission cooler.
The lake,however is nice and cool!

my avalanche has a trany cooler factory installed ! but ...  i have put a trans cooler on other rigs of mine , it is not hard to do !
most coolers come with installation instructions :)    you need a tubeing cutter and some hose clamps ( it comes with two but
i found thats not enough )  i put three clamps  on each side of the lines that you have to cut ,, no more leaks!!!! i also found the hose they send with the cooler is not as good as an oil resistant hose (like "parker push lock" hose ) found here in the western states at "evco house of hose "! but i am sure there are other hose suppliers across the states !!

Etrailer.com
D13504 Derale Series 8000 Plate-Fin Transmission Cooler Kit w/Barb Inlets - Class IV
D13035 Derale Snap-In Radiator Adapter Fitting for GM 1
D13003 Derale High-Temperature Replacement Hose for Transmission Applications - 4' Long
D13002.    Derale Universal Bendable Metal Mount Kit 1
D13008.    Derale Stainless Steel Hose Clamps

Dropped my 08 Z71 4x4 50 degrees

i have a question i see two types of tranny oil coolers  which is  best tube or plate i guess size  matters (i know there is a joke in there somewhere ) but what type is thee best  the prices seem comparable. is the better heat transfer or quality issues or personal preference  ?

My 2009 has the towing package so I already have the transmission cooler as well as the power steering cooler. I do not have the built in brake controller but I do have the wiring already there. I had an aftermarket system put in and its on all of my trailers. The trans cooler seems to kick in around  180 degrees because a few weeks ago when I was pulling a buddies camper when it was hot it built up to 180-185 and then kicked back down to 160 all while I watched in the information center in the gauge cluster over about 30 miles of driving in tow mode at 55 mph with a headwind.

My 2008 already had a factory transmission cooler behind the radiator too.
Adding the auxillary cooler in front dropped my temps 50 degrees!
It added 1 quart of Dexron IV to capacity.

Summer towing was well above 200 degrees last year, hoping to get
a few more miles out of my 200,000 tranny!

jayebeach said:
i have a question i see two types of tranny oil coolers  which is  best tube or plate i guess size  matters (i know there is a joke in there somewhere ) but what type is thee best  the prices seem comparable. is the better heat transfer or quality issues or personal preference  ?
depends.
Cross sectional area really determines heat rejection rates as does air speed which is from fan or driving fast.

Most oil coolers have tubes with fins attached to keep pressure drop thru them low so as not to be a restriction to system and get more oil to flow thru them.

The Auxillary is hosed up last in series as to not interfere with the trans oil sensor, If I am remembering correct.....which is occasionally suspect.
So it was all done on the passenger side of the factory trans radiator on the 2008 LTZ.

You'll have two radiators, larger engine rad in front then a possibly slightly smaller radiator attached just behind.
Think all 2008 4x4 Z71's have these.

you will eventually want to get under the engine and trace the coolant hoses, I am sure one of those is to the transmission.  Mine was set up as only two as far as I can tell.

PakDoc said:
You'll have two radiators, larger engine rad in front then a possibly slightly smaller radiator attached just behind.
Think all 2008 4x4 Z71's have these.

My 08 LTZ must not have it even though I have the Tow Pack and heavy duty radiator.  My Trany lines go directly into the "big" radiator on the passenger side.  Only "small" radiator is on the driver side and goes to the power steering.
Bummer, I would think for the price and purpose--I ordered the larger axel ratio and hitch... that a separate radiator cooler would come with it.

[My 08 LTZ must not have it even though I have the Tow Pack and heavy duty radiator.  My Trany lines go directly into the "big" radiator on the passenger side.  Only "small" radiator is on the driver side and goes to the power steering.][/quote]

I have the same

I have an 05 with the factory tow package & a year old rebuilt 4l60e. I over did the old trans at 160k miles towing a Jeep Wrangler. New trans has the Vette pressure regulator & an extra clutch disc in the pack. Works great now. Thinking about adding a trans cooler as I saw over 200 degrees in a couple of trips towing the boat last summer (about 5k lbs). I work at a boat dealership and asked a couple of the mechanics about it. They said to get a fin & tube type cooler because it has larger fluid passages that are less likely to clog & starve the trans. They said the plate coolers do a better job cooling initially but after the fluid gets dirty the tiny passages can have problems getting clogged up & starving the transmission.

So I'm considering this one by Hayden off Amazon.  Only $35. Good reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/Hayden-Automotive-404-Ultra-Cool-Transmission/dp/B000C39C7M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1485493290&sr=8-2&keywords=Fin+tube+transmission+cooler

Any input, good or bad, would be appreciated.

jayebeach said:
i have a question i see two types of tranny oil coolers  which is  best tube or plate i guess size  matters (i know there is a joke in there somewhere ) but what type is thee best  the prices seem comparable. is the better heat transfer or quality issues or personal preference  ?

Back