Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
09/02/14 04:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trick for Stuck Caliper Bolts  (Read 8107 times)
Trey

Burnin' That Saudi Oil, so you don't have to.

Awards
« on: 05/12/12 01:45 PM »

I learned a neat trick for getting stuck caliper bolts loose from the caliper.   I needed to replace the rear rotors today.  I had a 15" breaker bar with a socket, and I just couldn't break loose the rear caliper bolts on my 2004 Av 4x4.  I was banging on the breaker bar with a hammer and eventually broke the break bar near the socket.   banghead   

The high school student a couple doors down gave me a great idea...
Put your 1/2 inch socket wrench on the bolt and leave it stuck out to the side.  Put your floor jack underneath the handle and crank it up.  The bolt turned like butter.   Shocked  This was easy for the driver side.  For the passenger side, I had to flip the wrench over the axle and jack it up from the rear using a short crow bar between the jack and the wrench, but it worked out. 

2004 Silver Birch AV 4x4, Leather, CD-Changer, DVD, chrome steps
MODS: TRUXXX Leveling Kit, HIDs, Full-Time Amber DRLs, All-8-on-Hi-Beams Mod, A/C Vent LEDs, Metalcast Engine cover, Headlight and Backup Light Strobes, Sail Panel LEDs, 81-LED Lighted Bowtie, Color-changing LED Headlight Accents, Black Flames, 20" Dub X-Wang Wheels, Power Locking Tailgate, Train Horns, Line of Fire, Smoked Taillights.
MS03 2500
CAFCNA 2014 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 05/12/12 02:33 PM »

Glad you got it off, I used a impact wrench

2003 2500
Trey

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 05/12/12 02:52 PM »

There was no way I could see to get the impact wrench back there.  I tried an impact socket wrench, but that was useless.

MODS: TRUXXX Leveling Kit, HIDs, Full-Time Amber DRLs, All-8-on-Hi-Beams Mod, A/C Vent LEDs, Metalcast Engine cover, Headlight and Backup Light Strobes, Sail Panel LEDs, 81-LED Lighted Bowtie, Color-changing LED Headlight Accents, Black Flames, 20" Dub X-Wang Wheels, Power Locking Tailgate, Train Horns, Line of Fire, Smoked Taillights.
Rewind

Awards
« Reply #3 on: 05/12/12 03:04 PM »

Good Idea!!! One things for sure, somethings going to give doing that!!!

2005 Silver Birch Metallic WBH 2WD LT Z66 traded for
2007 Sunburst Orange Metallic WBH 4WD LTZ
MS03 2500
CAFCNA 2014 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 05/12/12 03:13 PM »

I took the whole bracket out with the caliper still in it.

2003 2500
Trey

Awards
« Reply #5 on: 05/12/12 03:43 PM »

I took the whole bracket out with the caliper still in it.
Yeah, I was actually talking about the bracket bolts.  The caliper bolts to the bracket, and the bracket bolts to the hub.  The big 3/4 bolts that hold the bracket on are called the rear caliper bolts.  Those were the ones that were stuck.

stogen
CAFCNA 2012 Premium Member

is that goat pee ,no its goat gatorade.

Awards
« Reply #6 on: 05/12/12 03:47 PM »

Great idea, thanks for sharing

black claded 03 z71 magnaflow dual exhaust, leveled,rancho 9000xl shocks cusom made brush guard , amber drls, viper alarm, 20" eagle alloy rims on bfg ta/ko 285/55/20..MSD wires,  k&n 77 series cold air intake, gmt 900 brake mod, Blackbear tune.. (2012 silvy waiting to be modded!!!)
Troublemaker
CAFCNA Cruise Coordinator

NY NY DC PA

Awards
« Reply #7 on: 05/12/12 07:34 PM »

You can also coat them with WD-40 and let them sit for about 20 mins....  that's what I did...  followed by the breaker bar and some brute force...

Click the pic to listen to along!
Trey

Awards
« Reply #8 on: 05/13/12 06:12 AM »

You can also coat them with WD-40 and let them sit for about 20 mins....  that's what I did...  followed by the breaker bar and some brute force...
I used PB Blaster and let it sit for 30 minutes before breaking my breaker bar.

Rewind

Awards
« Reply #9 on: 05/14/12 09:20 AM »

Here's a homemade penetrant that works wonders. Go down to the hardware store and buy some acetone, a quart of Dexron Mercon and a refillable spray bottle. In the spray bottle mix the ATF and acetone in a 1:1 mixture.

Spray on the bolts and walah!!!

2005 Silver Birch Metallic WBH 2WD LT Z66 traded for
2007 Sunburst Orange Metallic WBH 4WD LTZ
Blacklane

I love the Chevy Avalanche

Awards
« Reply #10 on: 05/14/12 07:44 PM »

I believe this is the better solution:
http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,103737.0.html

^B2004 WBH^B  Mods:  Westin Bull Bar, Westin Step Rails, Amber DRLs, Cabin Air Filter Added, Right Cargo Lamp Added, Rear Headrest Notch Mod, Dorman Intermediate Steering Shaft, PML transmission pan, Nothing by K&N
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: