• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

I'm Getting The BlackBearPerformance Tune...

ChevyNick

**GAS MILEAGE UPDATE**

Before the tune, I would baby the truck and still I could only manage on average 12.8MPG, no matter what I did.
After the tune, I got 14.7MPG.  Keep in mind I am not driving like a grandpa right now, I'm still having a bit of fun with the tune  >:D
Still, that is nearly a whole 2.0MPG increase, and I am NOT babying it.  

On the tank I am running right now, I am driving fairly easy, so if I break 15MPG I'll let you know.  My driving is mostly city with almost 40 highway miles per week.  Note that the highway miles make up about 20-25% of my miles I travel in a week,and I do about 75MPH on the highway.

How about some quick math for those of you who toss around the idea of Regular vs Premium octane tune.  I'll use 15 gallons because that is roughly what I use in a week...

Running Regular Grade (Before Tune): 15 gallons @ 3.69/gal = $55.39
Running Premium Grade (After Tune): 15 gallons @ 3.99/gal = $59.85

Oh boy, let's hope I am making up the difference of $4.46...
So let's say I am getting 1.9MPG better than before tune. Over 15 gallons, that's an extra 28.5 miles I can travel.
28.5Miles is 2.2gallons used at 12.8MPG -> $8.12 @ $3.69
28.5Miles is 1.93 gallons used at 14.7MPG -> $7.70 @ $3.99 

Hmm, let me think out loud here... so that is an extra 28.5 miles I can go on the same amount of fuel.  It would cost me another $8.12 to go that same distance without my tune on regular octane.  So it costs me $4.46 more at the time of fill up, but, after 15 gallons is burnt, I would do $8.12-4.46 = $3.66.  So, I am saving $3.66 every 15 gallons I burn through.  Correct?  I just found the key to becoming rich!!

Haha I don't even know if that makes sense, I am pretty sure that is all correct though and it should make sense.  My gas price difference from reg to premium of $0.30 in the calculations I think is fair & realistic.  So, why not go for the premium tune?  Costs less than before to fill up, and you are getting the maximum performance possible!!

**UPDATE: TUNE COMPLETE WITH VIDEOS**

Well it's been quite some time, but the tune process is pretty much complete.  I need to do one more log for him as I have changed my plugs and he wanted me to log once more.  But, I have the tune installed and have created the before and after videos.  Here is everything you need to know about my truck and the tune.

Truck: 2002 Chevy Avalanche Z71
Engine: 5.3L
Gears: 3.73s
Performance Mods: K&N CAI, Flowmaster 40, Throttle Body Spacer, BlackBear Tune

BBP Has Tuned My Truck As Follows:
-93 Octane
-Standard Shift Firmness (Slightly firmer at light to mid-throttle, moderately firmer at heavy throttle)
-Replaced Tow/Haul with Sport Mode
-75% Reduction In Torque Management

What do I have to say about the whole experience?  It was kind of slow going at first with getting a scan cable.  I documented everything throughout this whole thread so take a look at the dates on my posts.  During the whole process, Justin or someone would typically respond within 3 days.  After a month or so, response times became quicker (1-2 days), I've even emailed back and forth with Justin two times in one day!  Justin also found that my MAF Sensor needed a major cleaning and also I was becoming in need of spark plugs as he saw a slight misfire on a couple of my cylinders.  Overall though, patience is key with the whole process.  If you have patience, you'll be satisfied.

What do I have to say about the tune?  It is great.  It is hard to put into words.  Shifting from gear to gear is much quicker and also a bit firmer.  A LOT LESS hesitation when putting your foot into the throttle (even if your only going 1/4 throttle or less) the truck responds so much better than it did before the tune.  There is none of that huuuuuuhhhhhh noise or whatever that it used to make when I'd lay into it just a little bit.  The truck just goes now!  The whole RPM range just feels more awake as well.  Heck, the exhaust noise sounds a bit crisper too, and my favorite part.... NO PINGING!! I don't really know what else to say.  Maybe it feels like the truck lost around 1,000lbs? It's great!

Feel free to ask me questions!!

Here is a before and after video.  I also recommend watching both of them simultaneously at YouTubeDoubler.

Before:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvanNWk4B1s&feature=BFa&list=UU-Exalyo8939bcdP8g3239g

After:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mc7XNgjKbw&list=UU-Exalyo8939bcdP8g3239g&index=1&feature=plcp

----------------------------------------

Hey guys.  Just as the title states, I am in the process of getting a tune from Black Bear Performance.  I just sent them an email tonight (4-17-2012) So now I'll have to wait til tomorrow for a response I assume.  Then I'll go from there.  I figured I would just go ahead and make this thread so people can subscribe to it or whatever because I will take good comparison videos of before and after and post them here.

I'll keep ya updated!

I recently got a BBP tune... happy to post my experience. (y)

I placed my order for the AutoCal on March 20th and I got my final tweaked tunes (one w/ AFM and one w/o AFM) on April 11th, so be prepared to exercise some patience going through the process.  That's not to say it isn't worth it, however.  Justin sent me an email on 4/1 stating that he was about to start looking at my log file, so I started running 93 octane at that point.  I got the first tune on 4/6, ran another log and sent it back for a final tweak and I'm definitely a happy, satisfied customer!  I've currently been having too much fun to keep my foot out of it and check mpg.  I was getting 17 in town and 22 highway on 87 octane before the tune -if I drove it easy- so I'll be interested to see where it's at when I check it.

After I installed the CAI and had the Corsa exhaust installed, the AFM became pretty obnoxious, which I'd read would probably happen.  So, I wanted a tune with AFM turned off for local driving and one with AFM left on for long road trips.  Even on the AFM enabled tune, he did a good job cleaning up the V4 to V8 transition... it sounds/feels pretty close to stock.  But driving it in town with AFM off can't be beat!

It's tuned for 91 octane, ~80% TM removed, firmer shifts, rev limiter increased, etc... much more fun to drive now and definitely worth the money!

OGLandman said:
I recently got a BBP tune... happy to post my experience. (y)

I placed my order for the AutoCal on March 20th and I got my final tweaked tunes (one w/ AFM and one w/o AFM) on April 11th, so be prepared to exercise some patience going through the process.  That's not to say it isn't worth it, however.  Justin sent me an email on 4/1 stating that he was about to start looking at my log file, so I started running 93 octane at that point.  I got the first tune on 4/6, ran another log and sent it back for a final tweak and I'm definitely a happy, satisfied customer!  I've currently been having too much fun to keep my foot out of it and check mpg.  I was getting 17 in town and 22 highway on 87 octane before the tune -if I drove it easy- so I'll be interested to see where it's at when I check it.

After I installed the CAI and had the Corsa exhaust installed, the AFM became pretty obnoxious, which I'd read would probably happen.  So, I wanted a tune with AFM turned off for local driving and one with AFM left on for long road trips.  Even on the AFM enabled tune, he did a good job cleaning up the V4 to V8 transition... it sounds/feels pretty close to stock.  But driving it in town with AFM off can't be beat!

It's tuned for 91 octane, ~80% TM removed, firmer shifts, rev limiter increased, etc... much more fun to drive now and definitely worth the money!

Always happy to read a review on these guys.  I'm definitely ready to be patient.  Kinda like on a radio I recently purchased that took a crap on me within a week and it took a company over 5 weeks to repair  :E: But anyway I am glad to hear that.  I plan on doing the 93 octane tune as well.  Might as well get the most out of it ya can ya know. 

One question for you, you have it tuned for 91, but run 93. I was thinking about doing the same thing just in case I couldn't find 93 octane and I was in a pinch one day.  Does running 93 in the 91 tune have any negative effects or would it just be "that much more" power?

Nope, there's no negative side effects... you could eek out a bit more performance with a 93 tune.  Using 93 in a 91 tune, you'll still gain a very very minor benefit, but not as much as if it was tuned to 93.  From what I've read, even if you had to use 91 octane on a 93 tune, it won't harm anything... it would adjust itself and use a less than optimal table of values, so you'd lose a bit of performance until you could get 93 octane in it again.

OGLandman said:
Nope, there's no negative side effects... you could eek out a bit more performance with a 93 tune.  Using 93 in a 91 tune, you'll still gain a very very minor benefit, but not as much as if it was tuned to 93.  From what I've read, even if you had to use 91 octane on a 93 tune, it won't harm anything... it would adjust itself and use a less than optimal table of values, so you'd lose a bit of performance until you could get 93 octane in it again.

Lemme ask you this then even though I should have mentioned this in the email, or maybe Justin will tell me before I receive the scan tool; should I have 93 in it if I want the 93 tune? Or will he be able to optimize for 93 octane regardless of what I currently have in there at the time of when I record my driving?

I've not read that you needed to do that, nor was I told that.  I ran my first log with 87 octane in it.  I did read where you should try to get a full tank ran through of whatever octane gas you plan to have it tuned to, before you load the tune... that was just a post from someone on a truck forum though, not directly from BBP so I don't know how valid it is.  I just happened to be under 1/4 tank when he said he would start working on my tune soon, so I was able to fill up with premium and then drove with a heavy foot and was back under a 1/4 tank when I got my first tune.  The second log file I ran was done with 93 octane of course.

Which route were you planning to take - EFILive scan cable or the AutoCal?

OGLandman said:
Which route were you planning to take - EFILive scan cable or the AutoCal?

What is the difference  ???

I'm doing the data logging tune, so which ever cable is used for that is what I'll use.  I believe it's the EFILive scan cable. 

I am having him send me a new PCM though so I can keep the stock tune on the original PCM.  But from what you are saying, after I run the truck with the new tune, Justin would like another data log of the truck running with new tune to make sure everything is up to par?  So I suppose this is when I would end up using the EFILive scan cable not only to record, but to upload the new data file if he ends up sending an edited version of his original tune.

I didn't notice much more performance just cleaner shift points, I am just runing the 87 octane tune thow I did notice my Rpm go to 6000 when I stepped on it. Also when I email him I get a response with in 3 days. I have still yet to email him my follow up log. I have been to busy with work. Make sure you take your radio fuses out while you are loading the tune (02-06). There is a forum called efi live if you have any tec questions you need awnsersd.

stogen said:
I didn't notice much more performance just cleaner shift points, I am just runing the 87 octane tune thow I did notice my Rpm go to 6000 when I stepped on it. Also when I email him I get a response with in 3 days. I have still yet to email him my follow up log. I have been to busy with work. Make sure you take your radio fuses out while you are loading the tune (02-06). There is a forum called efi live if you have any tec questions you need awnsersd.

Yeah, I remember you weren't super satisfied when you went through the process. 

Why do I have to pull the radio fuse? I've never heard of that before.

I kept getting some wired error codes Then my radio stopped working for a hr or so, so I emailed Justin he said " aw yes you need to remove the radio fuses". I'm just really nervous when it comes to altering the computer. Once when I was loading the tune the cluster said reduced engine power, I almost had a heart attack. I would go on the efi  forums and look through all the error codes an what not. Also ask Justin about the radio fuses, over all it is a good tune thow

ChevyNick said:
What is the difference  ???

I'm doing the data logging tune, so which ever cable is used for that is what I'll use.  I believe it's the EFILive scan cable. 

EFILive scan cable is a device you temporarily use to do the logging and then its sent back to BBP.  IIRC, the PCM swap requires a security relearn which I think you can do on your own.  It also requires a crank re-learn, which is free if you use the scan cable along with your own laptop, otherwise you'll have to go to a shop/dealership that has the scanner and have it done. 
The AutoCal is a handheld programmer that you keep and is used with the EFILive software on your own computer... it allows you to swap between tunes whenever you want.  If you go to their website and click on their Services tab, you can read over the differences.  The FAQ tab also has lots of good info on it.

OGLandman,
Thanks for clearing that up.  I didn't realize that if you buy the AutoCal through them it costs $549 or something WITH a tune.  Still, I think I'll just opt for a performance tune via EFILive scan cable.  That's all I want and need.  I should be able to do the crank relearn and such as I do have a  laptop.

stogen,
Holy crap what an experience for you.  At least you've got it all figured out now.  Hopefully I won't have as much of an issue with loading the tune because I'll just be swapping PCMs.  

The question now is, what happens to the truck immediately following a PCM swap? Does the engine and such go all crazy for a minute?

I have yet to hear from Justin.  Wonder if he's out on a tune trip or something.

stogen said:
my engine never went crazy but the computer went berserk !!!!! making all sorts of noises

Haha oh boy I can't wait to experience this myself.

Well I just submitted my deposit or whatever on the scan cable so hopefully that will ship out tomorrow or Tuesday at the latest.

Awesome I can't wait to hear your experience, can you do a little rpm comparison, se how high your rpm goes before and after. I never got to compare because of all the hastle I went through. Thanks

stogen said:
Awesome I can't wait to hear your experience, can you do a little rpm comparison, se how high your rpm goes before and after. I never got to compare because of all the hastle I went through. Thanks

Thats the plan  :D 

When you put your deposit down on the scan cables, did they notify you when they shipped it out to you?  I put my order in Sunday afternoon and have not heard anything from them.  From their FAQ it appears processing takes 1-2 Days?

I placed my order on a Tuesday night and received my AutoCal on Saturday via USPS.  It should be the same process for your scan cable - no shipping confirmation but you should have it by Thur/Fri as long as they had one available to send out.

I think I emailed them asking when it would come they said we will send it Wednesday and they've seen up to a 1 week hold at the Canadian boarder I think I got it two weeks after I paid for it

Sent an email a few days ago asking when I could be expecting the scan cable to ship.  I got an email from Justin today stating they look to be about a week out.  So hopefully ill receive a confirmation of it shipping by the end of next week.

Latest update: The scan cable is on its way.  According to USPS, it will be here tomorrow (5/10/2012).  I have to work all day and then go to my night class from 5:30-8:50pm so I don't know if I'll use it right away to get my data sent back ASAP.  Also I am heading up north Fri-Sun so actually what I think I will do is use the scan cable on Sunday and then email my data Sunday night.

So yeah, that is the plan for now.  Keep watching guys!

Alright guys (stogen), I just did the data logging finally.  That was pretty fun and cool to see the EFILive dashboard on the laptop while running the truck.  Cool to see all the gauges.  Wish my dad was driving and I got to watch the screen  :( but oh well.  I have sent Justin my data, hopefully I sent the right file and also I hope my data has been sufficient enough.  I am awaiting further instructions/questions.

Latest Update: Had a "significant issue" with my data according to Justin.  He told me to clean my MAF Senor.  Boy was that thing dirty.  Did another data log last night and sent it to him.  He emailed back late last night saying much better.  I am now in the process of filling out the order form and telling him what all I want the tune to do.  So really all that needs to be done now is the tune needs to be written and sent over to me on a PCM and I'm golden.  Hopefully!

-93 Octane
-Standard Shift firmness (he ups it a little bit from stock)
-75% Torque Management Removal for regular driving
-I had him change the Tow/Haul button to the Sport setting which apparently means something like "shift points will be higher and there will be no restrictions, also a lot more responsive downshifts".  I assume this is 100% Torque Management removal?
-285/70/R17 tires
-110mph speed limiter

I think that covers it.

Back