• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Bent 2007+ hitch w/my Equilizer WD! - need aftermarket hitch

mdschadler

I'm having trouble with my factory trailer hitch and cant seem to find any aftermarket ones out there.  Does anyone know who makes one or if another make a model will fit? Thanks!

jimbo53188 said:
the hitch is integral with the rear frame crossmember. no aftermarket available.

Mine was just bolted on like previous receivers.
Problem is the 07+ the AV is the only vehicle the receivers will fit, different design from Tahoe/Suburban and Silverado, so way to small a market to be profitable.

You are right, the "integral" design is for the Subs and Tahoes.  The Avy has a bolt on deal like previous years.  So far all of the manufactures are telling me they don't make one because every Avalanche comes with one and it would be model specific so there is no need. 
My factory hitch is flexing when I use my WD hitch and is actually bent upward slightly now.  I have only towed my 5200 lb camper 500 miles. 
I traded my '04 for a 2011 with the HD trailer package to tow my camper, now I'm screwed.

The hitch on my '11 looks very similar to what was on my '04.  Does anyone know how different they are? It seems I should be able to find a hitch of the appropriate width and drill new holes.  With the cut-outs in the frame for bolting up the factory hitch it would be easy to reach inside to tighten additional bolts.  I was crawling under Siverados at the dealership and their hitches reach much further to the front of the truck and seem heavier.
Has anyone "upgraded' their factory hitch or beefed it up?

I didn't think I had it over adjusted but my "pin box" definitally points towards the sky now.  Has anyone replaced their OEM hitch on their '07-'12 with something stronger?

Try www.ecustomhitch.com/

One thread is enough.
Thanks!

I'm sorry for the multiple threads.  I'm in a jam and thought posting in other forum categories might help find an answer.  Sorry for clogging up the system.  I thought for sure someone would have tackled this before.  I was reading past threads for 3 hours last night but didn't find anything...  I think I'm off to a used car lot to start measuring frame rails to see what may fit. Thanks guys!

Did you try the link below or maybe www.etrailer.com
Find out what fits and buy it locally if you can, a stock hitch is worth(well not very strong) LOL

MS03 2500 said:
Try www.ecustomhitch.com/

I tried them with the same results.  I think my only chance is to measure and try to match up a different year or vehicle.  Or, I guess I could look into a welded on one.  I was trying to stick with bolts though!

hopefully this link works...

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_product=0&ukey_assembly=372413&ukey_make=1024&modelYear=2007&ukey_model=14479&ukey_driveline=0&ukey_trimLevel=0

scroll down,the platform hitch on your avalanche is part# 15824090, which fits a long list of trucks. so in theory any aftermarket hitch that fits those other vehicles should fit your av'  (y)

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Chevrolet/Silverado/2009/15522.html?vehicleid=2009303057

I WOULD GO WITH THIS ONE!!     

I appreciate the help and agree, that class 5 would be the ticket!  I need to take more measurements.  The Silverado mounts seemed to be an inch or so wider then mine.  I think that site may be to good to be true!

I did see a new style Avalanche today with the previous style rear bumper... it makes me wonder the difference between the 2007-2012s and their predecessors.  I need to park next to one and start measuring!

The dealer replaced my hitch but this one is no better.  As soon as I engage my wd spring bars the pin box is flexing.  I adjusted the trailer tongue brackets to reduce tension too.  It's funny, the Avy owners manual says to adjust the wd until the front end is at original height... I don't think that is even possible!

OK I don't know what to tell ya, but I'll try again a stock hitch even a Silverado hitch is not worth crap AFTER MARKET.

After this I give up.

(I was cruising used car lots today and found an '05 Suburban)
The stock hitch on an '05 Suburban looks to be identical to what I have on my '11 Avalanche.  It looks like the only issue is the bumper cover will need to be trimmed because the Curt fits so tightly against the bumper.  Can anyone recommend an after market hitch that has the pin box mounted below the cross tube? 

MS03 2500 said:
OK I don't know what to tell ya, but I'll try again a stock hitch even a Silverado hitch is not worth crap AFTER MARKET.

After this I give up.

OK I don't know what to tell ya, but I'll try again there is no such thing as AFTER MARKET hitch for an 07+ AV.

That is the problem he is having.

Thanks for the support!  I was in the process of having the hitch replaced under warranty while I have been posting and looking into an aftermarket one.  I posted what I did to share that without towing anything, my WD is bending the hitch.  I thought there was a chance I damaged the original while towing or it was defective but it looks like a bad design afterall.

My problem now is trying to avoid cutting a 2"x1.5" hole in my bumper cover.  It seems I need a Putnam XDR 25162, too bad Putnam is gone... Still looking!

(y) I will not get into a debate about such things.

I was wrong about the Putnam, it is the same configuration as the Curt.  It looks like I will be cutting the bumper cover. 
So now I am looking at the Curt 15524 and the Draw-Tite 41930.  The Curt will bolt up for sure but the Draw-Tite reaches forward, as many of you indicated in other posts.  I can't for sure verify the frame curves are identical between my '11 and a '06 so the 41930 could be a problem.  There is also a crossmember up there that is different but I think it is beyond the reach of the hitch mounting.

For those who have installed a Draw-Tite 41930, how far forward does it reach and are all of the holes on the same plane? 

Thanks!  Did the hitch mount flat?  22" takes me to the first bend in the frame so if all of the hitch mounts are same "plane" I should be good there.  I also have a crossmember 14"-16" from the same reference bolt hole.  Will that match with the cut-out in the hitch?  I'm sorry for all the questions and appreciate the help.  I need to order it online and want to make sure!
Thanks! 

Same plane. Here is a pic of the cut out.

Attachments

• IMAG0449.jpg
    IMAG0449.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 495
15"  from the black reference bolt is approximate at the red line.

Attachments

• PicsArt_1335820754857.jpg
    PicsArt_1335820754857.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 485
Back