• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2003 Avalanche

mavericknj

PM 2016
PM 2014
PM 2013
PM 2012
Just put the 2003 AV in the shop for round 1 overall maintenance (105K and <5000 engine hrs) today ???. I don't think the previous owner put any maintenance into the vehicle. No service history (carfax or dealership) on record.

Engine Flush - Oil Change, Oil Filter, Fuel Injection Service, Fuel Filter, Throttlebody Service
Transmission Flush, Filter Change, Fluid replacement
Differential Fluid change
Tune Up - Plugs, PCV, Breather Element
Cabin Filter
Belt Change, Brake Pads (all four corners)
Brake Fluid Replacement, Coolant Service
Power Steering Fluid Exchange
Alternator Replacement ???

Cost about $1270.00 parts and labor.

Round 2 Maintenance

AC SVC, Upgrade Brakes (Rotors, Pads & Calipers), Shooks (Front & Rear)
Hoses

Is there anything I may have missed??

2003 did not have cabin filters....

so how did they change it?

If you change belts change the main serp idlers...

It could be that the previous owner did much of the maintenance themselves without taking it to the dealer. I have and 02 Av with 50,000 miles and I have never taken it to the dealer. Have done most your list myself so it will not show up on any carfax or dealer service records. I do however try to keeps receipts and records of this work to handover to the new owner if I sell it.  :B:

$2002Chevav said:
I have and 02 Av with 50,000 miles and I have never taken it to the dealer. Have done most your list myself so it will not show up on any carfax or dealer service records.
same here i like doing it myself

I am at 186k and have done all the maintenance, except for the tranny service, myself Although I never plan on selling my baby. I have already picked out her replacement engine for the inevitable time when I need one. I have a tranny place picked out also.
As for brakes and pads I upgraded mine at 50k and have changed the pads 3 times since then, most recently at 184k.

Changed the main and the auxilary belts and the front hubs serviced.  Thanks on the cabin filter. The mechanic said the same. Also cleaned the MAF sensor today myself.  Took the Avy out for a test drive and Noticed a little shaking when I get it over 75mph and oil leaking around the filter after I got the Avy back home, will have to take it back and have them check it. Also I will need a high speed wheel balance and wheel alignment (it is drifting to the left).

Now on to round II maintenance

AC Service, Rear Brake Rotor and Pads, Ventilation Cleaning and shocks (front and rear), wheel alignment and high speed balancing. Any suggestions on the type of shocks. :help:

Thank you to all of you that reached out tips and advise. It all helped and is greatly appreciated.

The type of shocks depends on driving styles. If you are into off roading I would recommend Ranchos 9000's.  I had Rancho RS5000's on for a few years and just changed over to Bilsteins. The RS5000's are a great all around shock for the money.I just wanted to try the Bilsteins out since I got them at a really good price. After a while with them I went back to the RS5000's.
I know members who are running the Monroes, I have heard they are pricey. You might want to check with Summit Racing and Tire Rack. Both sites have excellent prices and selection and are backed with great customer service.

Maintenance is the keyword, if you are talking about the oil filter just take it off and scrape the stuff the that is still there. I think it maybe old gasket.

PS if it's not broke don't fix it

I am hoping to get back to doing my own maintenance, once I reclaim my garage and driveway back. :(
But like to keep service records and parts warranty info. Never know, it helped when selling my 05 Equinox @ 145k.
The buyer was happy to see a full maintenance/service history and settled on my price for the car.

mavericknj said:
New oil filter installed at PepBoys. It's their problem to fix.
Be careful with them..  Have seen many a vehicle get messed up by their mechanics..  They like to upcharge a lot..
Had one try to convince me my rear shocks (original on an 02) were bad because I had a flat spot on a tire..  They tried to say it was because the body was hitting the tire..  So I asked them how could it hit the same exact spot, their replay was it happens to a LOT of people..  Needless to say I walked out and havent been back..  What they didnt know is that tire was rotated to that spot, as the previous week I lost one of the front hubs and the brakes locked up on that side, which left a flat spot.. 

As many have said, most dont take their vehicles tot he dealers for service, unless they have a service package..

Good luck

:D
Rear Axle (Differential) completed in Round I maintenance. Round II went well: Correction of all the deficiecies in round I,  Replaced rear brakes (rotor & pads), parking brake shoes (really bad shape), Monroe Shocks on all 4 corners, Alignment and high speed wheel balancing, new spark plug wires and correction of phantom idle and shudder problem.

Reminder to all Service members (Active and Retired): Pep Boys honors a military discount of 10% on all parts, services and purchases.  Also remember to use their store coupons.

Total bill for Round I & II maintenance: a whooping $2920.00 after 10% discount and coupons :D. The Chevy Dealership wanted > $5000 for job (no kidding) :beating:. All work warrantied for 90 days, and Rotors, Alternator, wires, shocks (lifetime warranty) Pads (18 months), tires (60k prorated).

Round III - Interior Upgrades, Cladding Restoration
-Ordered new Pioneer Stereo with XM radio from Crutchfield
- Installing Mobile Internet Hotspot
- Installing Ipad Mount
- Monitors in Headrests
- New window motors in bother front doors (seem like they are about to fail)
- Scratch removal
- New floor mats

Continued
- New Deflectors (windows and sunroof)
- New doors seals

Will work on the body and paint after school is over.

Wondering about a backup camera system (since the girls will be driving it to the beach for the summer). Anyone have any suggestion?

Any place where I can provide photos and instructions on my progress on this site?

your going to have a new AV  (y)

Well Year 1 on the Avalanche has pasted. Installed a new starter, washer fluid motor, new battery, front and rear lens replacements, a few bulbs and fuses. Added a new K&N Air filter and Edge Evolution (CTS). First Oil & Filter change @ 8.5k. Loving this truck. Alot of cleaning and small maintance issues (i.e. replacing bolts and fastners). Cleaned out the midgate and tailgate drains. Replaced front Driver and Passenger window motor and regulators. Now I have to fight the kids and wife for the truck on the weekends. :B:

Update:

Completed replacing 16" Spare tire with 17" on OEM alloy wheel. Lubed up the tire carrier and mechanism. Replaced the tailgate seals. Completed an inspection of the under carriage and frame for corrison and rust. Will be restoring the bed covers and sails with Duplicolor bumper paint next week after the rain stops. (y)

mavericknj said:
Lubed up the tire carrier and mechanism.
thats somthing i need to do  :E: what did you use to lube it

avz66 said:
thats somthing i need to do  :E: what did you use to lube it
You and me both. Think that will be a focus at the upcoming GTG since there will be a few other avs here
mavericknj said:
Used WD40 to clean up the cable and mechanism. Applied WD40 Lithium Lube.
Thank you for the idea. !!
Glad to hear you having good results.

On to more maintenance. Back in Feb-Mar the Avy DTC was sending Manifold gasket leak error codes (Very cold winter). But the due to an accident I did not have the vehicle to fully diagnose the problem. When I did get the Avy back from body shop, I had the left inner tie rod replaced. What I did notice that if you let the Avy sit too long, you will need to replace the battery, the drain from the cold weather and parasitic drain will kill the battery. The battery is so badly drained, it was causing a P1518 code to when using the Edge CTS Programmer. So I am off to Sears for a AGM battery. May have to put replacing the brake lines (front and rear), just to be on the safe side. Any thoughts on the matter???

Good to see you loving your truck. I bought mine 5 years ago, also an 03, and if you keep them up with the care they need, they are great vehicles. I have over 275,000 miles on mine and it drives like it just came off the showroom floor. I love it  (y)

Now it's been 3yrs 4 months years of ownership and 25,000 miles of happy driving.

Maintenance III: Engine flush, Oil & Filter Change (Castro High Mileage/Syn), Transmission Filter/Filter change (no metal shavings), Transfer Case seal replaced, replaced front and rear differential fluids. Updated the Edge CTS programming twice. Replaced the windshield fluid reservoir bottle.

The only issue I find is that I have to check to see if the service techs greased all of the lube points on the chassis and control arms. Which they never get to and I have to take it back and complain to the Manager.

Now I have to paint the sail and panels. The work I did with that R&R product did not last, so I just paint them with Dupli-color trim paint. Thinking about also putting on beefer brakes (front and rear). Brakes do not have the stopping I like.

Update: :E:

Will have to re-paint the sails and the hard bed covers prior to winter. Will be draining/replacing the power steering fluid next weekend. Anyone have any thoughts on brake upgrades? Also looking to put bigger rotors on too. I'll waiting until spring to recover the front seats. That will give me time to do some research and hunt for a bargain or too.

I think most of the gmt800 1500 owners did the gmt900 upgrade.

http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,122524.0.html

Now I would do the upgrade plus upgrade the rotors to a slotted rotor

Back