• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Nav HU Screen Diagnostic

Clayman

I saw this posted for the 1st gen nav units, but not the 2nd gen, so I thought I would share this since it's a different process.  If it is indeed posted somewhere else, please forgive.

*First off, this should only be used for informational purposes and not to correct an issue unless you know what you are doing.  You can potentially lock up your HU if you are not careful.  For example, I know resetting the GPS is one way of potentially causing a lockup, so just be aware.

In order to reach the screen diagnostic, press the Menu hard button on the right.  Once there, you are going to press in the bottom left corner of the screen for 5-10 seconds.  There are no buttons there, but this does bring you to the next screen.
pic1.jpg

On the next screen, you will need to enter a PIN code to access the screen diagnostic.  I am not certain if there are specific codes for each unit or model, but the one given to me was 660.
pic2.jpg

After entering the correct PIN code, you should now be on the main screen diagnostic page.  Here you will find many different options for gathering information about your HU.  I used the navigation info page to check and see if I was receiving a vss signal by driving around and watching the pulse sensor readout.  
pic3.jpg

In order to exit from the screen diagnostic, you will have to turn the truck power off and exit to turn the HU off.  After 5 mins or so, you should find yourself back on your normal operation pages the next time you turn the HU on.

Had to run outside to see if code 660 works on mine... Yuuuuuup! Thats awesome!
I too was wondering about the VSS because my previous radio the speed compensated volume did not work, and it doesn't on the new Nav unit I just installed.  Thanks for the info!

FYI...

This does not seem to work on a 2012 LTZ Nav/Radio head unit.  I just tried the step above and other variations I could think of - holding the MENU button in while turning on the ignition, different corners and center of edges of the touch screen, starting and not starting the engine, etc.

If anyone figures this out for a 2012 I would like to know.  Thanks!

Apparently, there are differences starting (and maybe ending) with the 2012 HU's.  I spoke with Tech Support at Coastal E Tech (http://www.coastaletech.com) last week about their GMX550 system for VIM and NavIM.  They stated their systems do not work with 2012's - yet.  They are working on it and said to expect something this summer.  In my experiences with such things, that means maybe by summer 2013.

Back