Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
10/01/14 07:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does your Avalanche bed leak water?  (Read 10652 times)
ces

Game Stock

WWW Awards
« on: 02/23/12 05:05 AM »

Hey CAFCNA, I got my first AV a month ago. I bought it used from a Chevy dealership.
It's a 2008 LT with about 65k mi.
To my surprise, it's had problems with leaks.

I'll try to make a complicated situation simple...
the bed leaks! banghead
With the tonneau covers on. Correctly in place and latched.
With what looks like good rubber seals.
The bed, covers and rubber molding are stock and in good shape.

After sitting in my level driveway for a few days in some heavy rain,
I went to put something in my bed, and there water back there.
It was only a few cups or so, but enough to render my bed useless for that days task.
I was attempting to load something that I needed to stay dry.

Is this normal? Do these all leak? Does the dealership tell you that when purchased new?
I got a bumper to bumper warranty on my AV so if these beds are supposed to remain dry,
I have a valid claim with service.
If it's common that these are not water tight or get wet inside, then I'm afraid I may be out of luck.

Please advise! Help me!

chevy chevy chevy
« Last Edit: 02/23/12 05:40 AM by ces » Logged

Intimidatoruag

Tatertown Posse Member #5

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 02/23/12 06:32 AM »

yes .... my 08 leaks way more than my 03 did .....

this is another thing to add to my list of things to fix in the spring ....
DJ Payaso

08 WHITE DIAMOND, 28's Now

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 02/23/12 06:50 AM »

mine never leaks thank God or I would have a serious problem.......

« Last Edit: 02/23/12 02:49 PM by DJ Payaso » Logged

Psalm 136:26 Give thanks to the God of heaven, for his steadfast love endures forever
Get inspired before you expire.
If you die in an elevator, be sure to push the Up button..
avz66
CAFCNA 2009 Supporting Member

AV - AHOLIC!!!

WWW Awards
« Reply #3 on: 02/23/12 08:20 AM »

Shocked sweet

2002 Avalanche Z66 Indigo Blue - Bought 9-25-01 as of today  0,096,100 miles

66 AV gtgs - 22,892 Miles - Tx. (Hou, S.A.,A) LA, KY, AL,TENN., SD, Wy

CAFCNA Member - 305

Mods - Cowl Hood, Epic Gladiator 20s, Volant CAI, SportsWing, Flowmaster 40, Trenz Bullet Grill and Bowtie, AMP fuel door, Bed slide, Flames

Michaelmiata89

Mottarone meets Avalanche

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 02/23/12 10:03 AM »

WOW!!!!

My Avy 2002,

5,3 ltr LPG, 305/40/22, 22" XD Monster matte black wheels, Leather, In-step reverse lights, EXT cluster, blue leds in cluster and switches, superbright white interieur and puddle leds, Xenon, Switchbacks leds, LED DRL, Lund Interceptor, vent visors, Flowmaster 40, Backup cams, Refinish Restored Cl
RoarinRow

Northern California Chapter

WWW Awards
« Reply #5 on: 02/23/12 10:13 AM »

If I remember correctly there is a 'correct' way to lock your bed panels.

1.  Firmly slide panel 1 in place
2.  Lock the left side first, then the right
3.  Repeat for steps for panels 2 and 3

If you still get leaks, then reverse the steps by locking the right side first, then the left on all panels.  You have a 50/50 chance   Big laughter with tears

2002 Summit White 1500 4X4 4.10, Poweraid TBS, Volant CAI, HPP3, Taylor Wires, TOC, Flowmaster 40 Series, Eibach Lowering Springs, Stillen Front Brakes, Belltech Shocks, PIAA 2100XT driving lights, Epic Gladiators with Proxes STII 285/50/20, Phantom Cluster, Pioneer Flip DVD, HID 6000k.  Click on pic.
GHP
CAFCNA 2011 Supporting Member

Yo!

Awards
« Reply #6 on: 02/23/12 10:36 AM »

Now I see why you do not drive it in the rain - I wouldn't trust the seal either if I were you.

CES - you may also want to check to see if the water channel under the top seal is in tact.  In my O7 after I noticed some water in the bed, I found that the gutters/channels on each side of the bed were split down the center.  I thought about replacing them but in another thread duct tape has been used.  I went the black duct tape route and have not had a problem since. 

O7 4WD LT3, Dark Blue Metallic, Amber DRLs, De-badged, GM CAI, Corsa Touring Exhaust, Dual Batteries, Waag Front Runner, 8000 HID, IPCW LED Taillights, Daystar Leveling kit, XD Addicts, Terra Grapplers.

http://grady-y0.mybrute.com
DJ Payaso

08 WHITE DIAMOND, 28's Now

Awards
« Reply #7 on: 02/23/12 02:53 PM »

Now I see why you do not drive it in the rain - I wouldn't trust the seal either if I were you.
I try to check everything from time to time to make sure if I do get stuck in the rain it will drain properly. But as long as its not leaking im almost scared to take the covers off to check thinking I might cause a leak just by taking things apart. 

Psalm 136:26 Give thanks to the God of heaven, for his steadfast love endures forever
Get inspired before you expire.
If you die in an elevator, be sure to push the Up button..
avz66

AV - AHOLIC!!!

WWW Awards
« Reply #8 on: 02/23/12 04:34 PM »

i clean the rubber between the pannels, maybe you can try it

2002 Avalanche Z66 Indigo Blue - Bought 9-25-01 as of today  0,096,100 miles

66 AV gtgs - 22,892 Miles - Tx. (Hou, S.A.,A) LA, KY, AL,TENN., SD, Wy

CAFCNA Member - 305

Mods - Cowl Hood, Epic Gladiator 20s, Volant CAI, SportsWing, Flowmaster 40, Trenz Bullet Grill and Bowtie, AMP fuel door, Bed slide, Flames

ces

Game Stock

WWW Awards
« Reply #9 on: 02/23/12 04:53 PM »

right on, thank you!
I'll look in to it further and get back with my findings...
 chevy

Goodwrench/02
CAFCNA 2012 Premium Member

Chevy Avalanche. Like a rock.

Awards
« Reply #10 on: 02/23/12 05:11 PM »

Mine only shows a little water after the high pressure car wash. Never had intrusion from rain or snow, or just hosing it off at home.

Be careful not to ingest too much di-hydrogen monoxide. Causes belching.   Big laughter with tears

2013 Black Diamond LTZ Fairway Green Metallic

NRA Life Member

Who Is John Galt?
will86

Awards
« Reply #11 on: 04/14/12 01:06 PM »

My 05 has been leaking for years now. So far I have not found a way to stop it. My next attempt will be to take the weather stripping off the bed covers and to re attach them with caulk.

2005 Z71 LT 4X4
ca2kjet

something secret steers us

Awards
« Reply #12 on: 04/14/12 03:28 PM »

I had lots of puddling appearing in the bed and water would always be running down the sides. After looking into the issue I realized that water was collecting under the weatherstripping which would fill up and drop into the bed and also funnel a lot of water onto the channels that would leak around the water channel and onto the sidewalls. So I decided to rip off the weatherstripping from each panel, cleared out the old gunk and then filled with a silicone sealant for windows and doors. Took me all of 15 minutes to do. My bed has been water free since the day I did this, no puddles in the middle and no more leaking on the sides... and that was years ago... As far as I'm concerned, my bed is now waterproof.  Grin

Black on Black - 2007 Avalanche 4x4 LT3 Z71
ThreeD

'07 Avalanche LTZ

Awards
« Reply #13 on: 06/14/12 02:54 PM »

CES - you may also want to check to see if the water channel under the top seal is in tact.  In my O7 after I noticed some water in the bed, I found that the gutters/channels on each side of the bed were split down the center.  I thought about replacing them but in another thread duct tape has been used.  I went the black duct tape route and have not had a problem since. 

YES! finally found the problem I'm having! Duct tape eh? Anyone done this without the help of tape? I can't find this part anywhere, that's for sure....

Three to the D
ThreeD

'07 Avalanche LTZ

Awards
« Reply #14 on: 06/14/12 02:57 PM »

I had lots of puddling appearing in the bed and water would always be running down the sides. After looking into the issue I realized that water was collecting under the weatherstripping which would fill up and drop into the bed and also funnel a lot of water onto the channels that would leak around the water channel and onto the sidewalls. So I decided to rip off the weatherstripping from each panel, cleared out the old gunk and then filled with a silicone sealant for windows and doors. Took me all of 15 minutes to do. My bed has been water free since the day I did this, no puddles in the middle and no more leaking on the sides... and that was years ago... As far as I'm concerned, my bed is now waterproof.  Grin

A walk through or at least some pics would be awesome!

Three to the D
ca2kjet

something secret steers us

Awards
« Reply #15 on: 06/14/12 06:20 PM »

A walk through or at least some pics would be awesome!

I don't have any photos at the moment but here's what I did...

Take each panel off. Then pull off the rubber weatherstrips. They may be firm but they'll come off with a little effort. Nothing will break as it's just a goopy caulking material holding them on.

Once you've removed the rubber weatherstrips just wipe away as much of the OEM caulking from inside the weatherstrips as well as anything on the panel itself.

Then I got this GE Silicone Window & Door Sealant because it was a soft seal (not something that would dry hard) and would hold up under constant temperature changes (no idea if it's still specifically sold but you should be able to find an equivalent at your local hardware store)

Apply the sealant inside the weatherstrips enough so that when you put them back on the panels the sealant should almost overflow. I quickly wiped away anything that squeezed out when I put the weatherstrips back on and actually added a little here and there to make sure there was a enough to prevent any gaps inside and that gave it a flush seal.

I gave it a chance to dry (I think I waited until the next day), put the panels back on my truck and not a drop of water has gotten in since.

Hope this helps  Thumbs up!

Black on Black - 2007 Avalanche 4x4 LT3 Z71
ThreeD

'07 Avalanche LTZ

Awards
« Reply #16 on: 06/16/12 10:54 AM »

I don't have any photos at the moment but here's what I did...

Take each panel off. Then pull off the rubber weatherstrips. They may be firm but they'll come off with a little effort. Nothing will break as it's just a goopy caulking material holding them on.

Once you've removed the rubber weatherstrips just wipe away as much of the OEM caulking from inside the weatherstrips as well as anything on the panel itself.

Then I got this GE Silicone Window & Door Sealant because it was a soft seal (not something that would dry hard) and would hold up under constant temperature changes (no idea if it's still specifically sold but you should be able to find an equivalent at your local hardware store)

Apply the sealant inside the weatherstrips enough so that when you put them back on the panels the sealant should almost overflow. I quickly wiped away anything that squeezed out when I put the weatherstrips back on and actually added a little here and there to make sure there was a enough to prevent any gaps inside and that gave it a flush seal.

I gave it a chance to dry (I think I waited until the next day), put the panels back on my truck and not a drop of water has gotten in since.

Hope this helps  Thumbs up!

AWESOME. Thanks ca2kjet! I will give this a try as soon as it drys out here in washington state:D

Three to the D
GHP

Yo!

Awards
« Reply #17 on: 06/27/12 10:42 PM »

YES! finally found the problem I'm having! Duct tape eh? Anyone done this without the help of tape? I can't find this part anywhere, that's for sure....

Perhaps until you try a more intricate fix, black duct tape from the bottom may hold you over.  You may even forget about the issue since you will not even see the tape.  I was planning to replace the gutters completely but I have not had any issues since I added the tape back in November of 2010.

O7 4WD LT3, Dark Blue Metallic, Amber DRLs, De-badged, GM CAI, Corsa Touring Exhaust, Dual Batteries, Waag Front Runner, 8000 HID, IPCW LED Taillights, Daystar Leveling kit, XD Addicts, Terra Grapplers.

ThreeD

'07 Avalanche LTZ

Awards
« Reply #18 on: 06/28/12 08:18 AM »

Here is what I'm currently trying:

Liquid gasket/silicone

I've put tape below the gutter and have applied the adhesive to the top part of the gutter. It's lookin flawless right now. The next step is to remove the tape and apply it on the underside and flat side for more support. I'll update with pics when done

Three to the D
ARMYtango

Just PUSH until I am tired!

Awards
« Reply #19 on: 06/28/12 08:37 AM »

I have found 2 leaks in the bed  Cry
(I located them by crawling into the bed from the midgate during a rain storm...lol).

One leak is between panel #3 and the tailgate do to that panel having a sag to it.  I have tried re-forming the panel back to straight without any luck so far.

The second leak is from the end rail catch drain where the water is supposed to funnel down and out the side.  I still need to see if there is anything clogging it inside, but through visual and external inspection, I have not found anything.  It will drain, but slowly, which, in a heavy rain, the end will get heavy, tilt, and water will start coming over the sides.

The quest continues...  banghead

'04 Z66 WBH, AVS bug shield, AVS rain guards, BOSE sound system w/6-disk CD changer, 6 On-high, Sequential Bully fire strip, Amber DRL's, tinted SONAR Euro tails, Pace Setter TFX Dual Exhaust, K&N CAI, dual pillar gauge w/ GlowShift 7-color Trans Temp Gauge, low beam 6k HIDs, blue interior LEDs, LED plate lights, LED puddle lights, Halo/Projector headlights
GHP

Yo!

Awards
« Reply #20 on: 07/01/12 08:12 PM »

Here is what I'm currently trying:

Liquid gasket/silicone

I've put tape below the gutter and have applied the adhesive to the top part of the gutter. It's lookin flawless right now. The next step is to remove the tape and apply it on the underside and flat side for more support. I'll update with pics when done

Sounds cool, I'm interested.

DjLyrit

Awards
« Reply #21 on: 09/07/13 12:35 PM »

Not trying to revive a dead thread, but has anyone had  a fix for the panel 3 to tailgate? Mine is leaking right in the middle... looks like either the tailgate is bowed out or the panel is bowed in...

2005 Avalanche LT, 4WD, Dark Metallic Green
3/5" Drop Kit, Pioneer Sound System, 10% Tint, CAI

2001 Honda CBR F4i 600 - Streched, Lowered & Tuned. 9.5" Rear
2001 Honda CBR F4i 600 - Stunt Bike, Tuned, 50 Tooth Rear
nyg3113

Awards
« Reply #22 on: 09/07/13 01:02 PM »

Mine leaks in the middle between each panel, I'm going to try what ca2kjet said with the sealant. If it fixes mine it will fix anyones, I'll let you know what comes of it. Supposed to get rain most of the week so it will be the perfect test. 
dadmld
CAFCNA 2013 Premium Member

Ready for some play in the snow

Awards
« Reply #23 on: 11/07/13 06:29 PM »

banghead Sound like a good project, removing the panel seals and renewing the sealant with window RTV. I've just lived with the interior "rain" problem for some time now. Just not leaving any valuables in there since I had some tools and golf shoes ruined.  Cry

Proud dad of a 2002 Chevy Avalanche Z66 born in Mexico June 2001 and "adopted" Sept 28th, 2001.
Sapphire metallic blue with grey vinyl clad. 123000 miles as of Nov 1st, 2013.
Randy
Charter Member

I charge more than a buck$

Awards
« Reply #24 on: 11/07/13 09:45 PM »

I think the gutters are the main reason most see water in the beds. Mine never leaked and all of a sudden after a wash or rain it would have water in the bed. I checked the gutters and all looked good until I twisted one side and discovered what GHP is showing in his post, the gutter was split down the middle. I ordered both sides and problem solved. They are about $24.00 each.

I would start there since the seals between the panels are about $80.00 each...

GMPartsDirect.com

Gutter Center Left    PN-  20787412
Gutter Center Right   PN- 20787413

02 2500 Summit White-Loaded, Heated Leather Seats, Sunroof, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 Navigation System with back-up cam, front cam and Blue Tooth. Nelson Tune, UPD/K&N, Dual Magnaflow SS Mufflers and 3" Tailpipes, Powermaster 200amp Alternator, Dual Optima Batteries, Full Traction 6" Lift with 305/70/17 Goodyear MT/R's and SSBrakes Calipers and Rotors, E-Z Down Tail Gate.

More to follow...

22' Velocity Boat powered by 502 BB and Stage III Procharger 750+HP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: