• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

FRONT AIR BAG SENSORS NOT WORKING

arneycl

I have a 2005 Avalanche with 88,000 miles on it. About 4 months ago the Air Bag light came on as well as getting the Service Air Bag message on the dash. I finally took it to the dealer and they called stating that both front end sensors were not working and to replace it would cost right at $600. Also, my driver side power window isn't working and they said the module/switch was bad and it would cost $200 to fix it. I told them to go ahead and fix the power window but would let them know Monday on whether or not I wanted them to fix the sensors. They did tell me that the air bags would not deploy if in an accident.

I know I should probably get the sensors fixed but I thought I had read on here somewhere that some folks were having problems when they got the sensors fixed they quit working again months later. So I'm looking for advice/suggestions/answers. Would it be cheaper to fix them myself? Is it possible for one to fix the sensors yourself? Appreciate any info.

Thanks!!!

It's not that hard to replace the front sensors, but you have to disarm the SIR system first.

Not sure what dealer cost are, but from the parts store 25 bucks.

However I think they are replacing the Inflatable Restraint Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SDM)\

It seems a little strange that they both went out.

PS unless you tapped something or someone tapped you.

I really think my dealership has screwed me but I really hope I'm wrong. I just picked up my Avalanche after having them fix the driver power window. The guy on the phone told me Friday that it would cost me $200 to fix. However, the total bill was $500. For $500 I got the driver power window fixed which they said was the driver door module. Should it really cost that much money to fix the power window? Here is what the bill said:

Driver Side Power Window Inoperable:
Diagnosed/Replaced Driver Door Module and Retested System
77  CT  $175.16 (Labor)
10370149  SENSOR    $256.72 (Parts)

As for the air bag issue.....it says "checked codes and data....B0100 and B0103 stored in SDM. Checked wiring and front end sensors. Need both front discriminating sensors replaced. Taking the Avalanche to a local shop Thursday to see what they say and how much it will cost to fix.

Just had same problem with my 2005 avy. Code B0103 was left front sensor bad. Cost was 275 to fix out the door at dealer. Just an FYI.

Just had a tech scan my '05 which showed Left Front Sensor bad.  Switched sensors, cleared codes, and then it showed up as right front sensor bad.

Have another good friend with a salvage yard that found an updated GM #10370149 off an '07 Silverado (my original had the old #15103522).  Followed the procedures here for disabling the SIR, replaced the right front sensor, and now have no warning light and Service Air Bag is gone from the display.

Appreciate all the great info in this thread!  Saved a bunch of money using the part from salvage vs. ~$116.00 for a new one from Dealer.  One of the online GM Parts sellers did offer new #10370149 for ~$84.00 plus shipping.

(y)

I've been debating taking mine in but it will come on then disappear for months at a time. Figured it was a sensor issue. How easy/hard is it to do yourself?

That is the way to do it, get it scanned so you know which one is bad then replace it yourself.

Pinkie said:
I've been debating taking mine in but it will come on then disappear for months at a time. Figured it was a sensor issue. How easy/hard is it to do yourself?

Once I knew which one was the culprit, it was a matter of sliding under the front of the vehicle (in park, of course, with emerg brake set), using a 15mm socket to remove the shield, disconnect the electrical from sensor, then a 10mm wrench to remove the sensor.

I removed the SIR Fuse AND disconnected the battery just to be on the safe side.

:cheers:

MS03 2500 said:
That is the way to do it, get it scanned so you know which one is bad then replace it yourself.

Now that I've done one, agree 100%!

(y)

My 05 Av has had the airbag light on for quite a while.  Codes are b0100 and b0103 which I think are both front sensors.  So I'll be taking care of this.  I've been told that if the service air bag light is on the air bag system is totally disabled and they won't deploy in any kind of accident.  Make me wonder if they don't deploy if OnStar would be notified in the even of an accident?

DTC B0100 Electronic Front End Sensor 1 Performance
DTC B0103 Electronic Front End Sensor 2 Performance

DTC B0100 and B0103 will set when one of the following conditions occur:

-A valid ID message is not received within 5 seconds of the front end sensor being powered up.
-Status message is not received.
-The SDM has failed twice to reset the front end sensor.

The following can cause an intermittent condition:

-A short between the front end sensor signal and low reference circuits
-High or low resistance in the front end sensor signal and low reference circuits
-Inspect the front end sensor signal and low reference circuits carefully for cutting and/or chafing
Verify that the correct front end sensor is installed in the vehicle

Does anyone know if P/N 25794815 off of an '09 Avalanche could be used as a suitable replacement for P/N 10370149 off of an '05 Avalanche?

Also are P/N 10370149 and 15103522 interchangeable?

Thanks for all the great information and God Bless everyone on this website for all their help.

Happy Father's Day!!!

Because of the different part numbers I would say no...

Old Part Number  25794815
New Part Number  20926379
Part Name FRONT SENSOR Silverado, Sierra; All

Part Number  10370149
Part Name  Ft impact sensor

Old Part Number  15103522
New Part Number  10370149
Part Name  Ft impact sensor

I have this issue on my truck and the Mechanic at the Dealer that I know said the GM part is $250 normal.. $190 his price. I see a Dorman version on Rockauto for $58. I am assuming Dorman is the same or equivalent to OEM in this case.

But where in the heck are the sensors located? I am throwing a code for the right sensor per Tech 2.

Rodney

:laugh: Rodney you are a mess, you don't know where the front sensors are. ???

Look behind the grille on the radiator support it is half way up.

Make sure you disable the SIR before changing it.

Before you do anything find out if it is covered under goodwill (GM secret warranty). Mine was on my '08.

At 10 years old and 240,000 miles I doubt anything is covered..

And the sensor you are talking about MS03 is the external temp sensor. There are two impact sensors and I BELIEVE they are on the bottom of the radiator supports but since I have a Z71 with the skid plates I am curious if they moved them.

Hard to have one on passenger side and one on the drivers side if both are in the same place... ;)

I have the shop manual but seems like it takes an hour to find anything on that thing.

Rodney

Take the Front engine shield off and you will see them. Like all SIR circuits Yellow plugs.

Be careful or things can go bad real fast.

Yup thanks.. Guy at the parts store saw them through the tow hook holes. Now that I know where they are I can get to them at a point in the near future.

I will be swapping the sensors to see if the code swaps sides.

It is too damned cold out to be climbing under my truck though so might wait a little longer...

Bought side steps for my girlfriends 2013 silverado I will be installing at some point so I might just say the heck with it and climb under there even though the temps aren't due to be much above 10F for a while... She has a garage just barely big enough to fit a truck into and it is not heated so...

Might be a spring thing... LOL

Rodney

Great thread!

I have an 05, 1500 Z71 with the B0100 code and always have service air bag coming on the dash. How do I determine if it is the left or right front end sensor? I'll check fuses and change the sensor as needed this weekend and provided an update.

Thanks.

Back