• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Best tires

Rtbeebe

Have to replace the factory Bridgestones but don't want to spend $1100 if possible. Looking for reviews on tires that have been rode on and stood up to regular driving. Appreciate any suggestions.

That is a hard question, do you live in a place that gets snow.

Check Tire rack etc... they have reviews..

Also what are you looking for in tire:
Ride, Comfort
Grip & Handling
wear Longlife
Load capacity
price
etc

Okay I was just looking for user reviews, not analysis. Decided to stay with The Dueler ATs.
Thanks

a buddy of mine got re tread tires from threadwright. as his daily driver he couldn't tell the difference between original BFG all terrain's and the retread BFG all terrains.

https://www.treadwright.com/default.aspx

this is their site...

I have Nitto Trail Grapplers on mine and the wife has General Grabber AT2's on hers. Both are great but the Grabbers have some noise to them.

Just put a set of Nitto Crossteks  265/70/17 along with a set of new 17" Vision 6 spoke chrome wheels. NTB ran a sale last month buy 2, get 2 free. You had to buy the premium install, but I got 3 years roadside assistance, 5 years rotation and wheel alignments free at oil change intervals. Total package came to just under $1500.00 - not to bad

The tires were designed for P/U and SUV applications, warranty at 60,000 miles with a 620 wear rating. So far so good.

I am also running the Nitto Crossteks.  Have 5K on them now and I like the way they ride, hardly any noise at all.  Very good on wet roads, but jury still out on snow performance.  We have not had much snow this winter, but the few days we did I did not feel that they performed as expected, my OEM Wrangler HP did much better.  But then again the snow we have had so far has had a base of ice under it.  I would buy them again just because of the ride though.

I live in idaho where the winters are supposably "bad" and have a 2wd avy, i just put on Good Year Tracker 2's, they work great and were priced fairly decent, i think i paid aroun $700. Smooth ride, good traction, handle water,snow,dirt, and gravel just fine. Hope this helps  (y)

My original tires dry rotted off my AV before I could wear them out.  My primary concern with the replacement set was a quiet ride.    It was recommended I try Mastercraft truck tires.  Not the most expensive brand but they were very quiet compared to the originals.    Mastercraft had good ratings for it truck line but not so hot on the car tires. 
I live in Tampa Bay and only drive about 5000 year. 

yak-rack said:
My original tires dry rotted off my AV before I could wear them out.  My primary concern with the replacement set was a quiet ride.    It was recommended I try Mastercraft truck tires.  Not the most expensive brand but they were very quiet compared to the originals.    Mastercraft had good ratings for it truck line but not so hot on the car tires.  
I live in Tampa Bay and only drive about 5000 year.  
I had a set on a 'Burb once that I only got 23k miles out of.....

You might want to look into Cooper Discoverer line. I had good luck with them on my Avy before I lifted it and went bigger.

ohiobellboy said:
I had a set on a 'Burb once that I only got 23k miles out of.....

You might want to look into Cooper Discoverer line. I had good luck with them on my Avy before I lifted it and went bigger.
I believe Mastercraft and Coopers are the same tires.
They have different names but are the same.American owned and American built.

Streets said:
I believe Mastercraft and Coopers are the same tires.
They have different names but are the same.American owned and American built.
You're correct. They do use different compounds on them though. The Discoverer HT that I had lasted over 40k miles and had a few miles left when I sold the wheels they were on. Nice quiet ride, good rain tire and light enough to help with the mpgs.

Buy the Michelins you will not be sorry. GREAT tire and las 80,000 +  miles.

Avalon

im thinking of getting Nitto Terra Grappler 285/50 20 will rub  ???

Just sold a Dodge Ram with Cooper Discoverer S/T's, a bit loud, but truly an outstanding tire for Northern Climates!  Never, ever had problems in the snow and put almost 40k on them and the wear was excellent. 

I got my Bridgestone alezas for 950 $ out the door with road hazard and lifetime balance and rotate at. Discount tire 275 55 20's I think they are having a rebate to of 100bucks. Not bad considering these tires go 60kmiles.

dogs4kids said:
What about 245s instead of 265s? Any major issues?

If you have the factory wheels (16 inch 6.5 width on a 2500) that is the max width is 245.

Avalon

It won't help the pocketbook but Mickey Thompson ATZ's are super nice!
Toby

For your Z-71 with 18 inch rims , Goodyear Wrangler LSA . only $600 @ Tire Rack ,  good tire in the snow. better than the Alenza tire.

Back