Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
09/21/14 01:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Black bear autocal  (Read 4639 times)
ChevyNick

I want a diesel.

WWW Awards
« Reply #25 on: 01/19/12 01:56 PM »

Ok cool beans, can't wait! Woot!

2002 Chevy Avalanche Z71 Victory Red. Dual Flowmaster 40 series, K&N Cold Air Intake, Leveling Kit, BFG's, Throttle Body Spacer, Cab Lights, Westin Bull Bar with PIAA 525s, Blackbear Tune.
ChevyNick

I want a diesel.

WWW Awards
« Reply #26 on: 02/04/12 06:55 PM »

Still haven't received any tune yet?

2002 Chevy Avalanche Z71 Victory Red. Dual Flowmaster 40 series, K&N Cold Air Intake, Leveling Kit, BFG's, Throttle Body Spacer, Cab Lights, Westin Bull Bar with PIAA 525s, Blackbear Tune.
ms38w

I AM the Scorpion

WWW Awards
« Reply #27 on: 02/04/12 07:24 PM »

I've learned to be VERY patient  Cool! with email tunes.  Keep in mind that these guys tune not only locally in house, but send email tunes, literally all over the world.  I doubt they have 100 employees working on tunes day/night...probably more like 2/3 guys that work mon-fri 9a-5p.

I often have to wait months  Cry  to hear back from Nelson...sometimes I'll get his attention for a few days at a time  Woohoo!  , but once I lose him...it's another 3 months  banghead Can be quite frusterating  Sigh  .

'02 1500 Z71, with a few mods...
408 Stroker, H2 rear end, 6-speed manual,side pipes, shorty headers,8-lug wheels, 1-ton T-case, custom drive shafts.
ChevyNick

I want a diesel.

WWW Awards
« Reply #28 on: 02/04/12 08:50 PM »

I've learned to be VERY patient  Cool! with email tunes.  Keep in mind that these guys tune not only locally in house, but send email tunes, literally all over the world.  I doubt they have 100 employees working on tunes day/night...probably more like 2/3 guys that work mon-fri 9a-5p.

I often have to wait months  Cry  to hear back from Nelson...sometimes I'll get his attention for a few days at a time  Woohoo!  , but once I lose him...it's another 3 months  banghead Can be quite frusterating  Sigh  .

Yeah I completely understand.  I think blackbear only has like two people writing tunes.  But that's the whole reason why they are known to do absolutely amazing work.  They also travel across the country to do the in person tunes so those guys' lives have to be hecktic to say the least. 

Waiting multiple months wouldn't be any fun that's for sure, but as long as it isn't anything serious and youre still able to drive your vehicle, it is what it is ya know.

we_fly_high

Short Fuse

Awards
« Reply #29 on: 02/04/12 11:23 PM »

He's always on ls1truck.com, if you ever need his attention let me know!!

2004 Pewter/Black Cammed, Stalled, Tuned, SOLD
2009 Saab 9-7x Aero Diamond Silver Metallic, 1of 21 made!
Vetnsyd
stogen
CAFCNA 2012 Premium Member

is that goat pee ,no its goat gatorade.

Awards
« Reply #30 on: 02/05/12 04:51 AM »

I can't figure this program out he keeps giving me instructions on it, I follow them and he says it's the ring file. He says I'm sending him the ctd. File not the efi. File but I sent the efi. File I even took a picture of the file and attached it. I probably just suck with computers. I regret spending the money on this.....

black claded 03 z71 magnaflow dual exhaust, leveled,rancho 9000xl shocks cusom made brush guard , amber drls, viper alarm, 20" eagle alloy rims on bfg ta/ko 285/55/20..MSD wires,  k&n 77 series cold air intake, gmt 900 brake mod, Blackbear tune.. (2012 silvy waiting to be modded!!!)
ChevyNick

I want a diesel.

WWW Awards
« Reply #31 on: 02/05/12 07:10 AM »

Aww man I would help if I could.  I'm going to school for a degree in IT.  We need to do a remote connection haha.

ms38w

I AM the Scorpion

WWW Awards
« Reply #32 on: 02/05/12 07:50 AM »

Aww man I would help if I could.  I'm going to school for a degree in IT.  We need to do a remote connection haha.

Oh...an "IT" guy...   Tongue

Sorry...but you'd be better off going for your Janitorial degree.  Nothing personal against you...just "IT" guys.

408 Stroker, H2 rear end, 6-speed manual,side pipes, shorty headers,8-lug wheels, 1-ton T-case, custom drive shafts.
ms38w

I AM the Scorpion

WWW Awards
« Reply #33 on: 02/05/12 07:57 AM »

He's always on ls1truck.com, if you ever need his attention let me know!!

Yeah, I get him there sometimes, but I prefer to direct my tuning issues to his business account.  When I can't get him there, I shoot a quickie to LS1trucks.

Stogen, don't give up too quickly.  I don't know how the BlackBear thing works, but I'm sure it's similar to Nelson's tunes.  One file is the tune itself, the other file is a program that set's up the tune file.  Often, programmers need both files so one can be used to modify the other.  Think of it like a computer...you have a processor and then there's everything else.  Remember the intel processor commercials...the slogan "intel inside"? ... same thing, only different. Thumbs up!

ChevyNick

I want a diesel.

WWW Awards
« Reply #34 on: 02/05/12 09:41 AM »

Oh...an "IT" guy...   Tongue

Sorry...but you'd be better off going for your Janitorial degree.  Nothing personal against you...just "IT" guys.

Shoot, I've already got my masters in Janitorial.  I maintain a 13000sq ft machine shop among many other things I currently do there :p
Honestly this whole IT degree thing is becoming less attractive as I'm currently finishing my second year.  Id almost rather bust my behind in this machine shop the rest of my life than do this thing called IT. Or I'd even rather detail cars the rest of my life lol.  Whatever I do, I want somethin that's gonna keep me working hard and busy nonstop.  I consider myself a workhorse lol, can't sit still.

Sorry for the derailing post

stogen

Awards
« Reply #35 on: 02/16/12 04:22 PM »

I got my tune it's ok, nothing special the shift points are cleaned up nicely. There's not much more power, they were suppose to program my PCM for 33" tires, which never happend. In my opinion not worth 600 bucks...
I had a real hard time with the program but that's because I suck at computers.
Chevy nick I'm sorry I could not do a comparison this has been to much of a hassle.
« Last Edit: 02/16/12 05:40 PM by stogen » Logged

black claded 03 z71 magnaflow dual exhaust, leveled,rancho 9000xl shocks cusom made brush guard , amber drls, viper alarm, 20" eagle alloy rims on bfg ta/ko 285/55/20..MSD wires,  k&n 77 series cold air intake, gmt 900 brake mod, Blackbear tune.. (2012 silvy waiting to be modded!!!)
ChevyNick

I want a diesel.

WWW Awards
« Reply #36 on: 02/16/12 06:40 PM »

I got my tune it's ok, nothing special the shift points are cleaned up nicely. There's not much more power, they were suppose to program my PCM for 33" tires, which never happend. In my opinion not worth 600 bucks...
I had a real hard time with the program but that's because I suck at computers.
Chevy nick I'm sorry I could not do a comparison this has been to much of a hassle.

Dang I'm sorry to hear that... It's alright man don't worry about the comparison.  This kinda makes me rethink spending money on it.  Although $600??

stogen

Awards
« Reply #37 on: 02/16/12 07:29 PM »

If I could start over I would just go Nelson tune

Nick@Night
CAFCNA 2013 Premium Member

Hold It There, Kitty-Cat! Hold It!

Awards
« Reply #38 on: 04/05/13 11:49 PM »

If I could start over I would just go Nelson tune
stogen:

I'm going to get a custom tune, sometime this year.

Now that you've had time to live with the BB tune for awhile, what do you think?  Would you still go with Nelson?

I waded through Nelson's site, and see no mention of an autocal-type device.  I want to be prepared for the day when I upgrade to the 6-speed.  As you know, the TCM is located inside the transmission on the 6, so swapping computers isn't an option.

Believe BB will tweak the tune at no additional cost.  Did you ever do that?

Pretty sure I'm going to go with the autocal, but thought I'd reach out to you for your thoughts.

Thanks for your help!

Nick
« Last Edit: 04/06/13 12:06 AM by Nick@Night » Logged

Formerly, "SportRedNick"

2003  Dark Grey Metallic Z-71
2004  Sport Red Metallic  Z-71
2008  Deep Ruby Metallic Z-71

"Would trade them all in for one Bermuda Blue"
ltxi
CAFCNA 2014 Supporting Member

...tree art...

Awards
« Reply #39 on: 04/06/13 06:36 PM »

stogen:

I'm going to get a custom tune, sometime this year.

Now that you've had time to live with the BB tune for awhile, what do you think?  Would you still go with Nelson?

I waded through Nelson's site, and see no mention of an autocal-type device.  I want to be prepared for the day when I upgrade to the 6-speed.  As you know, the TCM is located inside the transmission on the 6, so swapping computers isn't an option.

Believe BB will tweak the tune at no additional cost.  Did you ever do that?

Pretty sure I'm going to go with the autocal, but thought I'd reach out to you for your thoughts.

Thanks for your help!

Nick

Nelson!!

Thought about a second/third tweak from Black Bear. Wouldn't even answer my request email. Good fortune on my part...Alan ran me another tune on my spare modules at no cost. Pay for the tune once get updates on the same VIN for life. Want multiples? Just for the cost of the hardware or bring your own.

2008 Z71 Avalanche LT3 4x4 4:10 Ebony/Black - Nelson tuned
Nick@Night

Awards
« Reply #40 on: 04/06/13 07:16 PM »

Nelson!!

Alan ran me another tune on my spare modules at no cost.
Therin, lies the problem.  Eventually, I know I'll graduate to the 6-speed.  Can't remove the TCM modules without disassembling the transmission.

Nick

Formerly, "SportRedNick"

ltxi
CAFCNA 2014 Supporting Member

...tree art...

Awards
« Reply #41 on: 04/07/13 02:29 PM »

Alan will still redo any tune for life at no charge. I currently have two tunes on separate hardware that I can swap out at will....91/93 for day to day use and 87 for flatland road tripping. I realize you can't do that convenience with a 6-spd but he'll still tweak it at will. Call him.

Note, however, as far as I know no tuner will tune another VIN for free if you were counting on that when you change trucks.

2008 Z71 Avalanche LT3 4x4 4:10 Ebony/Black - Nelson tuned
stogen

Awards
« Reply #42 on: 04/09/13 01:21 PM »

i just bought a diablow sport intune for my 12 silvy, comes with can tunes or call lew for a cusome tune check out there site you can even call them for troubleshooting. way better customer service...

Nick@Night

Awards
« Reply #43 on: 04/11/13 12:27 AM »

way better customer service...
Customer service is important to me.  If something goes wrong, not sure I'd want to wait a couple of days (or, more) for a return e-mail.

Thanks for responding.

Nick

Formerly, "SportRedNick"

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: